Thread: Best, Simple Hard Rock Tune to take advantage of 16" and 18" Floor Toms

User Info Menu

Default Best, Simple Hard Rock Tune to take advantage of 16" and 18" Floor Toms

I've got this stupendous set of DW Cherry toms and bass drum, and I'd like to play a song to take total advantage of both those big 16 and 18" floor toms combined with the deep tones of the cherry wood. Anybody got any thoughts on some good classic hard rock songs, not too hard to play, that I can use to make my new set really scream like it was made to?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best, Simple Hard Rock Tune to take advantage of 16" and 18" Floor Toms

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I've got this stupendous set of DW Cherry toms and bass drum, and I'd like to play a song to take total advantage of both those big 16 and 18" floor toms combined with the deep tones of the cherry wood. Anybody got any thoughts on some good classic hard rock songs, not too hard to play, that I can use to make my new set really scream like it was made to?
    Phil Rudd AC/DC! The Bon Scott stuff especially. Very cool, simple beats.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best, Simple Hard Rock Tune to take advantage of 16" and 18" Floor Toms

Yeah, AC/DC was the first thing that came to mind. Also, 'For Whom the Bells Toll' by Metallica seems like a good choice. Really, you can play any song with big floors.

If you're practicing by yourself, don't get caught up too much in emulating every note from a song. Stretch it out further however you want, it will make the core of the song easier to play. If you're playing with a band it can be annoying for others but go nuts in the comfort of your own home.

User Info Menu

V Halen Everybody Wants Some, Roger Taylor uses them for We Will Rock You, actually only one but you could use both
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Witchy woman by the eagles, great tom beat that you can move around the floors.

Also any song with the Bo diddley beat works great as well, such as Desire by U2, I want Candy Bow wow, Not fade away by Buddy Holly, Who do you love by George Thorogood etc. or just Play the Bo Diddley Beat itself which is alot of fun once you nail it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Not a rock song...but Sing Sing Sing by the Benny Goodman band is a classic for floor tom work. (originally featuring Gene Krupa)

all the best...

User Info Menu

Who do you love - George Thorogood
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

When the levee breaks, Led Zepplin......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Try a little Sammy Haggar��

User Info Menu

Eddie Money "Shakin'..."

User Info Menu

Mountain Song..... Jane's Addiction

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Double Vision.................cool song for drums.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Phil Rudd AC/DC! The Bon Scott stuff especially. Very cool, simple beats.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Great tom song.

Or, Enter Sandman, by Metallica.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Thank you, guys!!! I'll check out all these tunes on my drum set this weekend. I truly appreciate the suggestions!!!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Not really rock but how about "George of the Jungle?"
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Desire by U2. You can ride as many toms as you want the entire song..
    Come together, the Beatles
    Pump it up, Elvis Costello

User Info Menu

Doesn't get much easier than this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Not really rock but how about "George of the Jungle?"

Ha ! Watch out for that tree !!

I would say any of BTO's big hits. Lots of hard-driving tom-pounding.

User Info Menu

Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love" is a classic power FT ride.
    Make sure you play the snare on one and three.... not two and four like Gadd did. The only thing Steve ever played that I can't stand!

User Info Menu

BTO Let it Ride
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes