Thread: Trying to learn jazz drumming.

User Info Menu

Default Trying to learn jazz drumming.

Taken my first steps in learn some jazz drums. So far not that simple. Figured I should branch out, learn some different styles. Quite a change from metal drumming. After watching whiplash I really want to at least attempt to learn it.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying to learn jazz drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Taken my first steps in learn some jazz drums. So far not that simple. Figured I should branch out, learn some different styles. Quite a change from metal drumming. After watching whiplash I really want to at least attempt to learn it.

Jazz drumming is something that is felt. It can't be taught regardless of what some drum teachers say.

I think the only way to "learn" it, is to play it
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 02-17-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: ppp

User Info Menu

Completely different art form. It's like classical music but more rhythmic. I am coming to grips with the fact that everything I've played up to this point on drums...just forget about.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Going to be a process for sure
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Jazz drumming is something that is felt. It can't be taught regardless of what some drum teachers say.

I think the only way to "learn" it, is to play it
    I do not agree. John Riley's books show otherwise. There are a lot of "codes" (swing, comping, playing in two, shuffle, AABA forms, 12 bar blues, left hand right foot combos, left foot HH play, brushes, etc.) from jazz drumming that need to be known by every jazz drummer.
    Gretsch Renown mapple (fusion) + Ludwig black galaxy Acrolite snare
    Tama Silverstar (rock)
    Jobeky custom electronic kit with 2Box module
    Cymbals : Paiste Signature Dark Energy HH, Sabian AAX ride and splash, Zildjian K and A crashes, HH, splashes and rides

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    I do not agree. John Riley's books show otherwise. There are a lot of "codes" (swing, comping, playing in two, shuffle, AABA forms, 12 bar blues, left hand right foot combos, left foot HH play, brushes, etc.) from jazz drumming that need to be known by every jazz drummer.

I stand by what I said. You can't teach "feel", but you can make money selling books that tell you that someone can.

Having jammed in NYC and other places, mainly in the '70's on into the '80's with musicians that were true jazz musicians, I learned that I had a "touch" of the "feel" just by the mere fact that I was asked back. I saw a lot of, what I thought, were good musicians, that were never asked back. Maybe they didn't know the "secret codes".

User Info Menu

It's likely a combo of both. There's lot's of stuff that needs to be learned but you also have to get out and do it. Like most things in life really. You must train long and hard to fly a jet plane but at some point you have to....fly a jet plane!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I stand by what I said. You can't teach "feel", but you can make money selling books that tell you that someone can.
    Having jammed in NYC and other places, mainly in the '70's on into the '80's with musicians that were true jazz musicians, I learned that I had a "touch" of the "feel" just by the mere fact that I was asked back. I saw a lot of, what I thought, were good musicians, that were never asked back. Maybe they didn't know the "secret codes".
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    It's likely a combo of both. There's lot's of stuff that needs to be learned but you also have to get out and do it. Like most things in life really. You must train long and hard to fly a jet plane but at some point you have to....fly a jet plane!
    all the best...

I took many semesters of drum set private lessons in music school.
    The primary genre will always be jazz and the "Bible" of instruction at that time was the book from Jim Chapin................this book is utilized in most University music and percussion programs.
    You have to be able to get the notation and (yes) you also have to have that "triplet" feel or it will not groove.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Wow, some strong opinions on the matter. I'm not trying to play in a jazz band or anything, I just want to expand my knowledge. And try new styles. I've known drummers that can only play one style, I don't want to be one of those. I watched a drummer at a jam night filling in with a country band. They were playing a 3/4 time and the drummer had no idea how to play a beat to it.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I'm no jazz drummer by any means but I needed to branch out if I wanted to jam with other folks in different genres so I worked on the swing feel and it took me years to get it. I know what rickthedrummer is implying about feel and many jazz greats play by ear and others were great at reading charts too but I found if I just mastered the swing feel, I could get by and keep it in the pocket.

User Info Menu

My extent of Jazz consists of some swing beats, and that's about it. We play a lot of Texas swing, some waltz, funky and jazzy Blues, etc., but that's a far cry from real Jazz. When I listen to a real Jazz drummer play, it just sounds like random gobbledygook....but it fits in the song. Obviously, that's why I'm not a Jazz drummer. Even if I developed the physical skills, I think my mind would tell me, "youre just playing nonsense, it doesn't work and your making a fool of yourself!". It makes me think that Jazz drumming is as much about freedom and independence of the mind as it is technical skills and coordination.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    When I listen to a real Jazz drummer play, it just sounds like random gobbledygook....but it fits in the song. Obviously, that's why I'm not a Jazz drummer. Even if I developed the physical skills, I think my mind would tell me, "youre just playing nonsense, it doesn't work and your making a fool of yourself!". It makes me think that Jazz drumming is as much about freedom and independence of the mind as it is technical skills and coordination.
    I was fortunate during one semester of my sophomore year when I had Steve Houghton as my private lessons instructor.
    Steve is now the top dog at Indiana University and a past-president of the Percussive Arts Society.
    I remember something he told me early in the semester...................

"The jazz drummer has three jobs; first and foremost is TEMPO -- the other two are CUES and FILLS. If you can do that you'll be fine."

I take the same advice today and apply it to all the bands I've played with.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

You can learn to play jazz. Listening to jazz will help you develop a feel. Learn the fundamentals, a basic ride rhythm on your ride, a solid 2&4 on the hi hat. There are some great books out there for snare work and complete drum set playing. The hardest thing about playing jazz, swing, bop and rock is getting the right information and direction on what exercises to play, which rudiments will make it easier to play and how to incorporate want you practice into what your playing.
    Last edited by Jackie; 02-18-2016 at 06:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah for sure, I have decent teacher. So I hope with his help I can at least get the basics.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

You could go to a art school where they could teach you how Rembrandt held his brush, how he put brush to canvas, how he mixed his paints to get various shades of certain colors, in other words, his technique.

You will not go and paint "Return of the Prodigal Son" or "Night Watch".

I still stand by what I said.

User Info Menu

OK.
    Name you favorite jazz tune or performance.
    If you have none ,then you'll have a hell of of time trying to learning to play "jazz" drumming.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

It's about as far on the other side of the planet from metal as you can get. I commend you for doing this. It's really going to open you up. All good replies so far. Learn the jazz tunes, study the patterns, take some lessons and then get out there and start sitting in on jazz jam sessions. You'll be there before you know it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Not sure I'm going to try to play with a jazz band any time soon, if ever. I know it's going to be tough, but anything worth doing normally is.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Thanks, Not sure I'm going to try to play with a jazz band any time soon, if ever. I know it's going to be tough, but anything worth doing normally is.
    Well I'm in the same boat and I'm old. Drummers advice is good. It's important in jazz to get to know the music. Unlike other music it is a lot of "standards". These are popular melodies that have been played by all the greats. Different from hearing a Led Zep Song and saying "that's Led Zep" A lot of the heads (tunes) were taken from show tunes and stylized. The "head" is the actual melody of the piece and introduces the soloists. Usually is is returned to to end the piece.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Like Drummer said learn jazz tunes. And I would suggest first jamming to some songs that you can kind of get into like Benny Goodman's "Sing,Sing,Sing"

Other classics would be like Glen Miller's "In the mood'
    Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" Jazz standards like"Cherokee","Caravan".
    We all gotta start someplace so going back way early to the beginning would be more perfered rather than jumping off into trying to learn Billy Cobham or Elvin Jones type stuff I would imagine.

One more thing..just to help inspire you there's this old movie called "Drum Crazy"A.K.A the Gene Kruppa story. I think you would really like it. Gene was a big inspiration to guys like Keith Moon and countless others. But yeah by studying guys like him and heck while not necessarily jazz I would throw Sandy Nelson records in there as well because Sandy has that jazzy swing feel to his playing as well.
    Last edited by wired; 02-20-2016 at 05:38 AM.

User Info Menu

One thing to remember about jazz vs. most other forms of drumming is much of pop/rock is creating "parts" that you will create and play close to "as is" each time you play unless it is more of a jam band situation. Jazz is one of the most spontaneous forms of music in that you have a basic song form but you can vary what you play each time in response to what other musicians are playing. It is "creating on the fly". Big band "charts" are a little different as more is "written down" but there are still things that can be interpreted. Sadly jazz is dying in the states but I believe is still more popular in Europe and the Far East. I can enjoy a pop/rock groove but also enjoy the freedom that comes with playing jazz. It is all good!