User Info Menu

Default Non Wood Drum Sticks

Hi guys,

What is the best non wood drum stick?

Thanks!

Nick

User Info Menu

Default Re: Non Wood Drum Sticks

Welcome to Drumchat Nick! When you get a minute, please introduce yourself. This is a great site. A lot of great advice and a lot of characters.

As far as your question, the only experience I have with non-wood sticks are with the Ahead sticks. They have a thin metal rod under a plastic-type coating. I loved the sticks in terms of how they felt and played. But..I'll never buy another pair. They are very expensive - $30ish if I remember correctly. And when they break, they go quick and with no warning. Now, my poor technique probably contributed to them breaking, so I'm sure it's very possible to use a single pair for a long, long time. THey only lasted about a month for me.

Good luck with it and give us a report when you find something to try.

Tex

User Info Menu

no the ahead sticks are awful...

VicFirth makes a carbon composite stick. It's a little pricey but feels and acts like a normal stick and holds up to a lot of beatings.

User Info Menu

I don't see the need. Wood is in great abundance and inexpensive.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've had the same pair of Ahead sticks for about 20yrs. That would equate to only about 5yrs for the guys that practice and gig on a regular basis, but I have no complaints. I like the way they play/feel and never had an issue. I'll go through a pair of wood sticks about every 4 months, so it's worth the money for me.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree. Non-wood drumsticks don't seem to have the same feel. They're often too rigid (Ahead) or the opposite - they'll feel too flexible. There are hundreds of variations of wood sticks on the market so I feel confident that there's one out there for you that meets your particular need.

Welcome to Drum Chat Nick!

User Info Menu

I really like the ahead sticks. When I was playing out alot I would go threw 3 or 4 pairs of sticks a night. Switched to Aheads and have only broken 2 in 6 years.

User Info Menu

The only thing that I don't like about the Aheads is the sound they give on the ride. They seem to give almost a "clang" instead of the light "ping" that I love. I use 7a promark wood tips. Perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've been playing for many years and I've tried just about every synth drum stick that came out . I stopped buying them just about the time the Ahead sticks came out . I don't remember the names since it's been so long . There was a pair that I really liked that lasted me a very long time . Back then I was playing six nights a week four hours a night . Like I said I can't remember the brand name of the stick (it was back in 83/84) but it was made out of some carbon/plastic mix . No they didn't feel "just like a wood stick" but that was not the point and I knew that when I tried them out . They did feel very good and so I spent the thirty bucks they cost . Two years later when they finally broke the company had gone out of business and I couldn't find a replacement pair ! There were other companies that offered synth sticks but they too went out of business in short order .
    Back when the Ahead sticks came out I was getting my sticks free from ProMark so I didn't need them . Now I just really don't care to go through that again and I've settled into a stick that I like .
    Ahead is the only synth stick that I know of now . Maybe someone somewhere is making boutique style synth sticks that I haven't heard of but I guess they might be too expensive and aimed at those who have money to burn . And that leaves me out ....
    Sorry I couldn't help you .
    Rudy .
    Last edited by jedi; 02-22-2016 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

What does it feel like when you rim shot ahead drum sticks?

Thanks guys!

Nick

User Info Menu

hey Nick, cool name btw , they make good sounding rim shots. I was using Ahead sticks for awhile and liked them a lot the reason I stopped is that they are quite pricey and if you play with a lot of force they will eventually break just like any other stick and when they do break they will break completely in half leaving you with nothing to get by with until there's an opportunity in the song to grab something else also they are parts sticks. 5 parts make up 1 Ahead stick and it was difficult to get a replacement sleeve on.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Ahead sticks. I like them and would use them exclusively if I could afford it.

Also have used the Aquarian Formula graphite sticks. I use Aquarian heads more often that not for a long time now but their sticks.... well I'll just say they do not work for me. They look good and feel decent but they break very fast. Kinda like using a maple stick for hard rock. It seems like they are really just a plastic stick with a fancy name.

My current stick is from Zildjian. 5B wood, wood barrel tip preferred
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Butler11 View Post
    What does it feel like when you rim shot ahead drum sticks?

Thanks guys!

Nick
    Feels like $30 being flushed down the toilet. Only louder.