Thread: Flat Base Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Flat Base Cymbal Stands

Interesting that there's a resurgence of flat-based cymbal stands in the market. Ludwig's got one and I saw in MD the other day that DW is bringing it back.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Flat Base Cymbal Stands

Takes Up Less Floor Space....I Lubs Em And Still Have 3 Or 4 Old "Rogers" Wif Extentions FROM 1971 I Still Use Today!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Flat Base Cymbal Stands

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Interesting that there's a resurgence of flat-based cymbal stands in the market. Ludwig's got one and I saw in MD the other day that DW is bringing it back.
    The resurgence is due to the re-vitalized interest in the vintage drum set. I still have 2 or 3 of my original Ludwig cymbal stands but, I don't use them anymore because they won't stand up to the playing that I do. Double braced chrome hardware really takes the punishment and always looks good on display. My only pet peeve is the weight. They are heavy. The new Vintage stands are an attempt to combine the looks of the past with the strength and durability of today. It would be interesting to hear from those who have the new vintage stands...pros and cons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    The resurgence is due to the re-vitalized interest in the vintage drum set. I still have 2 or 3 of my original Ludwig cymbal stands but, I don't use them anymore because they won't stand up to the playing that I do. Double braced chrome hardware really takes the punishment and always looks good on display. My only pet peeve is the weight. They are heavy. The new Vintage stands are an attempt to combine the looks of the past with the strength and durability of today. It would be interesting to hear from those who have the new vintage stands...pros and cons.
    I wold agree, and the bop (jazzer) kits are all scaled down with 18 bass drums etc. so they seem to prefer the vintage look and vibe and are going back to the flat based stands. The DW stands I have seen recently seem to be nice and sturdily built for such light weight stuff.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Flat Base Cymbal Stands

I recently switch all my hihat and cymbal stands to flat base.I don't play hard so these work really well,even with a hanging 14" tom.The DW stand will go higher than the Gibraltar stand[not sure about Ludwig] but I like the Gibraltar stand better.The DW will set up only flat base,where as the Gibraltar can set up slightly raised so you can set one stand overlapping another stands leg.It also has the toothless cymbal tilter like DW.It is difficult to use a ride with the boom extended so beware.The Gibraltar Hi Hat stand is much better than the DW.Its a little heavier and doesnt walk when you're playing.I used the DW and was constantly bringing the stand back to me,I hated it.They are so many light weight snare stands today that weight about the same as the flat base.The problem with the DW Snare stand is because it can only be used completely flat is trying to fit it between the kick pedal and HiHat stand.Stick with a light weight regular snare stand.For those of us who don't need tall heavy stands the flat base stands are the way to go.So much lighter,yet very good in quality.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread ........I havent noticed the new stands , I am thinking on getting a couple new stands to replace a few of the ones Im currently using because they will tip over real easy if I dont have them positioned just so .

User Info Menu

drumdeano,
    I am looking at replacing my ultra heavy DW stands with the Gibralter Flat Base Stands. Are you 100% Gibralter flat Base, cymbals, HH & Snare?
    Is the HH direct drive?
    It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got"

User Info Menu

Wow..I sure do miss Frank..."May He Rest In Peace"

User Info Menu

I'm so with you on that Rich. So much experience, and a great guy, too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The problem I used to have with the flat based stands was playing on carpeted floor and or un-even floors...such as when you set up on a flat bed trailer...rarely if ever will the flooring be even and un-marred. flat based stands for me didnt fare well on thick carpet plus the fact that they didnt hold up will over time.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I need a vintage cymbal stand. What do you have abailable?