Thread: Problems Relaxing behind the kit...

User Info Menu

Default Problems Relaxing behind the kit...

Man I'm getting frustrated...
    I've been playing for years my approach seems rushed when playing
    I'm way on top of the beat. Band members have told me your rushing. I think
    need therapy lol anytips from anyone on hear to help me relax behind th kit more. Also this happens the harder I hit I think???
    thanx

User Info Menu

mayb ur grips to tight?If its so tight it chokes the drums or sumfin it myt sound rushed?maybe ur just playin too fast?

User Info Menu

Some people are just more on edge than others. It's a personality trait and I wouldn't worry about it. Knowing that exists though is helpful because you can then take steps to deal with it.

Don't think it's entirely a bad thing. Sometimes those that are more relaxed can play back in a deep pocket but they're often not motivated to practice hard and they're not often the better drummers.

So what do you do? Take a deep breath and concentrate on relaxing when you play. Tape yourself so you can see when you start rushing. I found through the years that its usually just certain songs. Be attentive to the fact that you have the tendency to rush. Watch the other players and be sensitive to their actions. Avoid caffeine (you know, the cokes on the breaks, or any coffee), and beyond everything, don't worry about it.

User Info Menu

Oh, and welcome to the group. I hope you'll stick around and be a part of our terrific family!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Problems Relaxing behind the Kit

Hey, dbflip--welcome aboard, bro'!

Like drummer says, knowing that you have the problem is the first step in solving it--but don't let it get to you. What helps me when I'm playing are two things: Listening to the other musicians and "locking in" on what they want to do...and, in my case, knowing I'm always a bit wired before I start. Once I start playin,' I start relaxing...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

try playing instead of practicing i get stressed out sometimes when i practice because i`ll be trying to work stuff out just play stuff that you know and then more on to stuff that you haven`t quite figured out yet
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Default thanx for the tips

ahh now I feel better Had a great gig lat night was able to lock in better
    Monitors helped cause I can hear the bass. sat back alittle on my chair
    I think this forum is great

thanx again

User Info Menu

That's one thing I've noticed. If our bass player sets up next to me and I can hear him really well, I usually don't rush the song. We get in a zone and it's smooth sailing from there. I have a tendancy to rush the song if I can't hear the bass or the vocals very well.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

nvr had that problem.. sorry dont know what to tell you
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quit thinking!

User Info Menu

I play in a christian band, and I think it helps to forget about the audience, and just focus on god, becuse as long as your doing that all your problems will be solved.............man, the space bar on my keyboard is really rattley!!!

User Info Menu

Moniters are one of the greatest inventions in the world!!!!!

Except when our egolisious singer turns himself up so loud you can't hear the rest of the band.LOL. Juskt kidding. but that happens a lot accidentally.

IN fact one time we were performing on a sunday morning at my church, and we started a song and I'm like what?!! becuase nothing was coming out of my moniter, so i also looked around and noticed that everybody elses went out because were all looking around at eachother... So after the song we all came together and I'm like "what the heck happened to the moniters?" And our lead singer said the plug for all the moniters somehow became unplugged, and he was looking in the middle of the song....LOL

User Info Menu

maybe your band members don't smile enough and so you become tence from the no happyness in your band and that causes you to be "on top of the beat" as you put it, because they ain't happy/smiling?! just a thought. i played in in front of my church congregation one sunday morning for the praise and worship and nobody was smiling, and so i was tence because i didn't know why they weren't smiling. i mean come on it was the first time i played in front of the hole church. and i asked the my pastor if they always sit like that and don't smile. and he said yes. and so i just make faces now and most of them do smile now. and i ain't tence most of the time anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dbflip
    Man I'm getting frustrated...
    I've been playing for years my approach seems rushed when playing
    I'm way on top of the beat. Band members have told me your rushing. I think
    need therapy lol anytips from anyone on hear to help me relax behind th kit more. Also this happens the harder I hit I think???
    thanx
    Maybe your shoes are too tight...OR...maybe your heart is "three sizes too small."
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

I don't know if this is still aproblem, and I may be reading it wrong, but if you are on top of the beat, do you ever work with a metronome? I have a similar problem sometimes, because when I play at church I sometimes get real excited and catch myself starting to speed up. I have been practicing at church by myself with a metronome to help with the timing. Hope this doesn't offend or insult you....Peace.

User Info Menu

i have the same problem just that i hardly realize ...... but i guess i do need some help in that area

User Info Menu

Maybe your band members are going too slow, making them think you're rushing.

User Info Menu

one word- Count

its why we were built with 4 limbs and a brain