View Poll Results: Position in the Percussion Section.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drumline - Snare

8 27.59%
  • Drumline - Tenors

6 20.69%
  • Drumline - Bassline

7 24.14%
  • Drumline - Cymbals

0 0%
  • Front Ensemble - Keyboards

3 10.34%
  • Front Ensemble - Bass Drum

0 0%
  • Front Ensemble - Timpani

2 6.90%
  • Front Ensemble - Other (Please Specify)

1 3.45%
  • Drumline - Other (Please Specify)

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positions in the Percussion Section

User Info Menu

Default Positions in the Percussion Section

What is yours?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Well if I was in the percussion section they'd probably stick me on the triangle LOL

User Info Menu

LOL, thats what the Front Ensemble - Other part is for.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash

User Info Menu

Cool Positions in the Percussion Section

If I were in a drumline, I'd be on tenors...but I'd be the conga player in the front ensemble (I suppose on the sideline at a football game?)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Ya know, somehow, I just knew you would. Hehehe
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

I played snare during marching band, but other than that I was on keyboard percussion the rest of the year. Our marching band was far too small (and far too poor) to have a front ensemble.
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

In that case, please vote for the one you liked the best.
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

I used to always be playing the off instruments like either the cymbals, timpani, and other off drums.

I remember once when the conductor wanted me to play a ride cymbal for a gong sound and I found a china cymbal in our drum storage room the day before and a I had a small fight with him about using it. Just showing off but I was also playing the timpani and bongos in that song :D. We only had five percussion players that year and me and my friend were always playing more than one drum.
    Last edited by Roger; 11-09-2007 at 11:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Well right now im on snare, but ill be working on tenors soon enough, but im in the feild battery, on the snare atm

User Info Menu

In marching band I played Crash/Clash cymbals, and #2 Bass drum. In concert band we mostly traded off, I played concert bass, snare, a number of auxilliary instruments as needed (cowbell, triangle, sleigh bells, ratchet etc) I played timpani a few times, but as the only experienced keyboardist in my entire percussion section, I usually got stuck on Marimba, Vibrophone, and Bells.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

i currently play bottom bass on my line,hopefully next month im 2nd snare!woot woot!!!

User Info Menu

Default Timbalies

I played timbalies in the marching band
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

A buddy of mine just got me into a group of older retired ex drum corp players as a rudimental bass player. We meet every two weeks and work on a few rudimental pieces mostly for fun. They go to one competition a year, for the fun of the trip. I never realized how tough rudimental bass playing can be. It definately is a humbling experience.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

We never needed Timbales in marching band, we did use then A LOT in the percussion ensemble though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    A buddy of mine just got me into a group of older retired ex drum corp players as a rudimental bass player. We meet every two weeks and work on a few rudimental pieces mostly for fun. They go to one competition a year, for the fun of the trip. I never realized how tough rudimental bass playing can be. It definately is a humbling experience.

You now understand, most people think bass drum is nothing, and boring, and dosnt require as much skill as snare, that is, until they get put on a tonal line

Sure is a lot harder than you thought right

User Info Menu

i was on line two years but i voted for my timpani otherwise i was gonna be on tenors but oh well right lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    You now understand, most people think bass drum is nothing, and boring, and dosnt require as much skill as snare, that is, until they get put on a tonal line

tonal lines sure are like snare,it's snare music in splits,haha

User Info Menu

i voted snare but i like tenor and might play it
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

Oh, I'm a part of the legendary Willard Flashes Drumline. I'm on the bassline, and we are known for our extensive tonal bass drum use.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post

Definately is harder than I had expected it would be.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhawkDrummer View Post
    tonal lines sure are like snare,it's snare music in splits,haha
    Heh, how many snares do you know constantly use 32nd notes? How many do you know use 32nd notes period,

yea... bass drums.... like their signature move... its splitting the 32nd notes

As my drum guy said, "in DCI we only learned like one cadence, it all became the same, it was like a competition of which bass line could split 32nd notes the fastest, which tenor line could sweep the cleanest and fastest, and what snare line could play clean together and the fastest, so a cadence just because that, except every corps was in a diffrent order"

User Info Menu

I suppose thats one of the bad things about corps, that everything has to be faster, cleaner and better than the next corp.
    So what do guys who just like to play do? Indoor drumline? Thats harder to get into than drum crops!
    And not only do you have to play your instrument awesome but you have to play EVERYTHING awesome.
    I'm not dising corps or indoor drumline (trust me I practically worship those guys) I'm just pointing out that little downside: Everything is a competition.
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

Everything is, and I've noticed that everyone has 'their' drumline and nobody can touch them!
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight Chaos View Post
    I suppose thats one of the bad things about corps, that everything has to be faster, cleaner and better than the next corp.
    So what do guys who just like to play do? Indoor drumline? Thats harder to get into than drum crops!
    And not only do you have to play your instrument awesome but you have to play EVERYTHING awesome.
    I'm not dising corps or indoor drumline (trust me I practically worship those guys) I'm just pointing out that little downside: Everything is a competition.
    You understand now, thats exactly what it is, its like a volley, well we can play swiss armys at 150 BPM clean, "oh yea, well we can play 155" so the corp learns to do 160, ect

All thre pieces are equally godly (usually) and its just a competition, who can not only play fast, clean, and with a good technique, but then add in a few visuals, and march, changing march speeds and trying to keep the right gaps at the right times, thats what drumcorps is

Who can play the fastest, the cleanest, the most controlled, while doing the most complicated charts

User Info Menu

definitely tenors
    though i'm not at all that good, keep slicing and other technique issues.