Thread: Coordination

User Info Menu

Default Coordination

Hey guys,

So one of the first lessons I am learning for this year involves building coordination. I think developing coordination is a major task because it involves all limbs. I have no problem just sitting behind my pad and practicing rudiments but when it comes to coordination I am like a fish out of water but i look forward to the challenge. How was developing coordination for you?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Coordination

For me it was a long and slow process and after decades, I only have the basics.

However, you can find 6-10 year old's on youtube that seem to have picked it up rather quickly.

User Info Menu

Pretty easy. You can practice coordination without a drumset, practice pad or even sticks. Just sit in a chair and work out patterns between your hands and feet. You'd be amazed how far you can get with this alone. You can practice it while waiting for a bus, sitting in an airline terminal, at school study hall, etc.

User Info Menu

While there are a lot of records (CD's) out there with odd time signatures, most of the drummers from my era started by listening to Joe Morello with Dave Brubek.

Get "Time Out' and "Time Further Out". They are a coordination tester for those just starting in that direction.

User Info Menu

Coordination was easy for me on basic beats.........4/4..........6/8.
    Syncopation was much more challenging.
    Then working on both with double-bass patterns..................whew !

Stay after it...............you will begin to get the feel.

Man's natural progression:
    Crawl - walk - bicycle - drum set.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Rick, the beautiful women in your profile pic are making me want to spend more time at Drum Chat.

(At first glance, I thought you got an operation. )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    Hey guys,

So one of the first lessons I am learning for this year involves building coordination. I think developing coordination is a major task because it involves all limbs. I have no problem just sitting behind my pad and practicing rudiments but when it comes to coordination I am like a fish out of water but i look forward to the challenge. How was developing coordination for you?
    Try Ted Reed's Book on Syncopation.

In my opinion, Jeff's videos on youtube are the easiest to way to learn to interpret and use Ted's book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Rick, the beautiful women in your profile pic are making me want to spend more time at Drum Chat.

The 1st was Jennifer Lawrence, cutest woman in Hollywood today.

2nd was Veronica Lake. Probably the most beautiful actress in Hollywood in the late '30's and into the '40's. She had mental problems that today they probably would give her a pill and she would be fine. She drank and worked her way out of Hollywood. Died at 50 of liver problems.

The lady now is Kate Beckinsale. She would be gorgeous no matter what era she came up in. Selena in the Underworld movies. HOT!!!!

A new 1 every week.

User Info Menu

I'm still working on coordination. Been working on it for years.

User Info Menu

Ya, but the username is kinda throwing me off. I mean, who'd want to date a beautiful women named "Rick"? LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Ya, but the username is kinda throwing me off. I mean, who'd want to date a beautiful women named "Rick"? LOL!

As long as it's a beautiful "woman", I wouldn't care if her name was George.

Neither would you.

User Info Menu

Walk at a 50 BPM pace, chew gum at 85 BPM, pat the top of your head with your right hand in triplets, rub your belly in a counter clockwise direction with your left hand. Do this 3 times a day for 20 minutes for 30 days. You'll be fine.

User Info Menu

oh man.. don't get me started on coordination... with my students you can tell who will make it as a drumset player and who want. Some people are just born without any coordination. Poor kids

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Try Ted Reed's Book on Syncopation.

In my opinion, Jeff's videos on youtube are the easiest to way to learn to interpret and use Ted's book.

These are great idea's, thanks for sharing.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Here are a few ones:

Stick control (of course). But, do the exercises this way: image the notes there are the 'off' 16th notes and play them that way. The 'on' 16ths (i.e. the 8th notes) you play this way: BD, HH, BD/HH.

Alternatively (and depending on your level), you take Stick control, and play a pattern with your RH, then do RF LH as the book has written (what you do with your left foot is up to you). You can also do it this way: play the RH and RF together (LH LF as well), or RH with LF, LH with RF.

I would call these options the shot gun approach. There is also a set of exercises from this amazing book called Different Drummers (which is hard to find online btw), where they do a similar approach as above, but with different patterns. My problem is, even the exercises with quarters and half notes can be really hard, and basically it demotivates me, because my lord, quarters and halves shouldn't be hard to play!!!!

User Info Menu

There are tons of coordination books. Try getting a couple. I recommend the New Breed