Thread: Floor tom leg thickness

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom leg thickness

Some floor toms use 10.3mm legs. Others use the smaller diameter (9.5mm or 3/8" .. same thickness as a standard percussion rod).

Is this simply a manufacturer's preference ? Or is it based on the size of the drum ? Does it have more to do with newer drums vs. older drums ?

And as far as the mounts. It is clear that the straight cylindrical mount with the internal eye bolt designed for the thinner legs cannot accommodate the thicker leg. But what about some of the other designs ... clamping mounts that swing out from one side ? Are they likewise specific to one leg diameter, or can they generally hold either size securely ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom leg thickness

I think it has more to do with cost. Most mid level juts use the larger diameter. The only kits I've seen with the small diameter are cheap Taiwan kits
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I can't say I've noticed the difference, but none of my drum sets are pro level. I think my Sonor Jungle FT legs may have slightly thicker diameter legs than my Premier Artist Birch and Pearl Forums, but I haven't actually measured them - I use the Sonor legs on all of my FTs as they fit and are the prettiest. I don't know if the large round rubber have an air pocket or not but my FTs seem to resonate slightly more.

User Info Menu

Honestly, I think the legs on the kit I use are the best.

They are thinner, and you can't get the height to the exact millimeter that you want, but they completely lock in place and extend maybe a cm beyond the rim of the drum.

The only minus is one of them is slightly bent, so for example last night, I accidentally pulled it out, which means that the metal locking mechanism and spring also come out. The best way to fix this is the pull of the rubber foot and put it back from the top. It's not easy removing the foot, but given the fact this only happens when I do something stupid, I would take this set up over a much larger and heavier leg.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Found some info:

Quote:

"Just like L-arms, floor tom legs conform to one of three diameters: 9.5mm, 10.5mm, or 12.7mm. The trick is to figure out which your brackets are. Gibraltar's tom/floor tom leg brackets adjust to accept all three diameters."

End of Quote~

Quote:

Yamaha legs are in fact a slightly different size than any other drum maker. Depending on the series, after market legs may, or may not work for you. I know for sure that older recording and tour custom drums require these Yamaha stock legs which are about 10mm width. Yamaha makes these 2 models only U0160360 (with spike) and PFLA21 (without spike).

End of Quote~

Looks like Yamaha floor tom legs can vary from different production years.
    Last edited by late8; 02-29-2016 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I prefer the 9.5 mm diameter legs unless the drum is just too heavy for them. For example, I prefer the Ludwig Classic 9.5 mm floor tom legs/brackets over the Ludwig Elite 10.5 mm legs/brackets for my Ludwig Classic Maple floor toms. After using both on my drums, I find the 10.5 mm diameter leg to be overkill for the classic maple shells ...

User Info Menu

I will also try to answer your question, It has a lot to do with the quality of the set. Cheaper kits will have thinner ones & more expensive kits will have thicker more noticeable legs. Modern name brand kits today have 10mm legs or larger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Some floor toms use 10.3mm legs. Others use the smaller diameter (9.5mm or 3/8" .. same thickness as a standard percussion rod).

Is this simply a manufacturer's preference ? Or is it based on the size of the drum ? Does it have more to do with newer drums vs. older drums ?

And as far as the mounts. It is clear that the straight cylindrical mount with the internal eye bolt designed for the thinner legs cannot accommodate the thicker leg. But what about some of the other designs ... clamping mounts that swing out from one side ? Are they likewise specific to one leg diameter, or can they generally hold either size securely ?
    To answer your original questions, the diameter/size of floor tom legs and brackets are typically selected to support the weight of the drum and any other attachments to the drum that you might have. It has very little to do with the quality of the drum although I'm sure that some manufacturers will provider smaller legs to cut costs. For example, Ludwig's high end drums (CM and Legacy) offer the 9.5mm Classic leg/brackets as an option on floor toms since the drums are not heavy enough to warrant the need for the larger Elite legs and brackets unless the drummer prefers them.

There are three general leg diameters, 9.5mm, 10.5mm, and 12.7mm and the floor tom bracket generally determines the leg size unless you have the universal brackets (e.g. Gibraltar) that allow any size to be used. The universal brackets allow you to mix and match legs to the floor tom for support of different drum shell types/thickness and attachment configurations.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 02-29-2016 at 09:12 PM.

User Info Menu

On a related note................my old Gretsch FT has four legs.
    Any other maker do that ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My Gretsch 18 floor (which is now a kick) came with 4 legs. I always assumed that was because of the size of the drum. Another thing too; the legs are actually hollow steel tubes, not solid.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. As I suspected.. standard sizes, but no real standard applied.

I have a metal, single-headed floor tom made by LP, called a 'Street Can'.
    It came with the thicker 10.5mm legs, which are extra-long, so that this drum
    can be used for stand-up playing.

I currently have the legs off, and have been using it as a small bass drum, with a cradle-type riser.

I am pretty happy with the way it sounds as a kick drum, so I have been toying with the idea of buying another floor tom (standard wood shell, with 2 heads). Would like to be able to use the 10.5mm Street Can legs on it, so that I could use the new drum with my stand-up percussion set-up.

There are many individual floor toms for sale on the internet, new and used ... but it seems that leg diameter is simply not a spec that sellers and manufacturers feel necessary to divulge.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 03-02-2016 at 04:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    My Gretsch 18 floor (which is now a kick) came with 4 legs. I always assumed that was because of the size of the drum. Another thing too; the legs are actually hollow steel tubes, not solid.

all the best...
    I don't have a 16FT, but I assume it is 3-leg.
    My FT legs are solid (and heavy); they must have changed shortly after 1977.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Then there are the old Slingy push-button adjustable, short, skinny, non-removable, pain-in-the-neck 16"FT legs.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Then there are the old Slingy push-button adjustable, short, skinny, non-removable, pain-in-the-neck 16"FT legs.
    I don't remember those

User Info Menu

I bought some floor tom legs cheap thru a random catalog in our store... they made the tom so wobbly! They were awful. Didn't realize how important quality could truly be till then on floor tom legs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I don't remember those
    Google Slingerland vintage floor tom push button leg brackets. Mine are from 1963-two kind of hold the legs in position, the other slips. And they're about 3" too short for my style. Can't replace the legs since a spring winds around them to keep them in position in the bracket-pull the legs out and you have a h#ll of a time putting them back in.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

While we are on the subject of floor tom legs. anyone have a set of 16" legs they would trade for some 22"?

User Info Menu

When did legs get the bend on them? It seems all early sets had straight legs. I have to fold in the 18 leg closest to the back wall sometimes to make it fit on the riser. No big deal but some places have such small risers that a lot of adjustments need to be made.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Google Slingerland vintage floor tom push button leg brackets. Mine are from 1963-two kind of hold the legs in position, the other slips. And they're about 3" too short for my style. Can't replace the legs since a spring winds around them to keep them in position in the bracket-pull the legs out and you have a h#ll of a time putting them back in.
    I think the ones I use are the same, if not similar.

Yes, if the legs are short, you have a problem, but I think this system is great. You don't deal with wing nuts, you can easily remember the heights, it's significantly lighter, and there is no way they can come loose.

I accidentally pulled mine out saturday, the best thing to do is to take off the rubber foot and put it in from the top...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22