Thread: Floor tom turned to bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom turned to bass drum

Long story short last year I bought a used 16"x16" floor tom. Put it up in my closet until today. Started sanding on it so I can turn it into a bass drum. It use to be a Ludwig until I striped it down and took the old wrap off of it. Plan on making it a 16"x16" bass drum with the deep cherry burst wrap like my gretsch kit has. My problem is getting the parts for it. Like the legs,riser,and hoops. Once it is complete I will put a pic. of it on here.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom turned to bass drum

No problems whatsoever that I can see. Return all the original hardware back to it including the metal hoops and leg mounts. You can build your own riser cradle for about $2 worth of stuff from any hardware store and some scrap wood.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I converted two floor toms into bass drums.

I used the Danmar risers they worked great !
    Super solid piece of equipment
    I then didn't even need legs. (which sucks cause I had already drilled and installed them and now not using them lol

User Info Menu

If you switch to wood hoops you will need to put 1/8" spacers under the lugs

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Wood hoops don't seem to work well with regular 16" heads. Plus, the extended hoop depth can interfere with the beater shaft.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You should keep the original hoops on it. You can also find adaptable "bass drum legs" that will work. Look at what legs SONOR uses on their 1000-3000 series bass drums. You should be able to use your existing standard floor tom leg brackets. The legs will be the modified part when using a floor tom.

I'm thinking all you'll need is the Danmar riser (according to Spaz) and the SONOR bass drum legs and you are set.

Your batter head will still be the batter side and your reso will be what faces out.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I left on the die cast hoops that came with the drum when I converted my 18 to a kick. The down side is that I can't use conventional bass heads because they have wider collars which wont fit inside the die cast hoops. No biggie though. I use regular tom heads which are about 2/3 of the price and create my own dampening devices. Another plus is I wanted to keep the drum stock, and removing the rims would mean I could wind up losing them somewhere or getting them damaged. As I thought it over...Why does a bass drum need to have wooden hoops any way? I think it's a hold over from the large bass drums in the past when wood hoops were likely the most practical way to hold down the heads. I guess you could say all drums had wooden rims at one time.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.