Thread: Sabian AAX Freq Crash or HHX X-plosion Crash?

User Info Menu

Default Sabian AAX Freq Crash or HHX X-plosion Crash?

Hey everybody. I recently purchased a Sabian 18" AAX X-Plosion crash and it just might be the best crash I've ever played. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit too well sound-wise with any of my other crashes. I was thinking about getting an 18" HHX X-Plosion Crash or possibly one of those new 18" Freq Crashes. They both sound really good in all of the videos I've watched (my local drum shop doesn't carry either in stock). I was wondering if anyone has played the Freq Crash and do you think it would blend well with my AAX X-plosion (I think it would), or would the HHX X-Plosion be the better way to go? i think that both would mix well with my AAX X-Plosion, but the Freq would definitely be cheaper. Just looking for opinions/experiences with them, not wanting people to make the decision for me. I'll make up my own mind, don't worry.

Thanks, everyone!
    A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Premier Cabria Jazz: 10/12/14/20
    Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans
    Vater Stewart Copeland Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian AAX Freq Crash or HHX X-plosion Crash?

Did you get the regular Xplosion or the fast crash version? I am using both models and they compliment each other well but if you are looking for an HHX series, look into the Evolution line of crashes. I had a 17" & 18" and liked them both but the 17" sounded better to my ears.

User Info Menu

I got the regular Xplosion crash. I prefer medium/medium-thin cymbals as opposed to thin. The Evolutions sound quite good, but I'm not so interested in getting a thin crash. I've also been looking at the new ISO crash. They sound pretty good, too. I'm still leaning toward the HHX Xplosion for now. I may stop into my local drum shop and see what they have in stock tomorrow. They don't seem to carry a lot, but we'll see. Thanks for your input!

Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans

User Info Menu

The HHX Xplosion should work out for you good then. If you pick one up,let me know what you think of it. I am looking for a17" crash and was going to go with the evolution one,but with my setup,the HHX Xplosion might be a better choice. I normally use a 17" & 18" for main crashes in front but going to keep my 18"s in front and add a 3rd by the 16" floor tom since it is such a reach for me to get back to the main crashes. It's the downside of being 5'6" tall and using 2 floor toms.
    Last edited by Shawn76; 01-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I'd go with the HHX. It should be a darker lower version of what you have, so it should work well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I'd go with the HHX. It should be a darker lower version of what you have, so it should work well.
    +1

I use 14, 16 and 18" version of the AAX-plosion crashes and really like theire 'glassy' but quick decaying sound. However, they are bright cymbals so, for contrast, I would suggest the HHX equivalents as they should be a darker version. Alternatively, you could look at the 20" AAX-plosion to go with the 18" you already have. That would be a cheaper option to the HHX and might provide the complimentary differences you're after.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I'd definitely try to go with used ones if possible. I see them a lot on a GCs used site.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Go for the 18" HHX Xplosion crash. I use them sometimes with some AAX crashes and they compliment well.

User Info Menu

I've been looking at getting another explosion crash myself. I play a 15" AAX explosion on the right side of my set up and really like it. My favorite cymbal is my AA 16" medium thin crash and it's paired with an 18"AAX dark crash that I just can't get into. Matter of fact I'm selling that one and am looking at either a 17" evolution or a larger explosion. I was hoping to get a nice contrast with the dark crash , but what I heard in the store isn't what I am getting. Any recommendations about which way I should go with a new cymbal to partner with my beloved AA crash??

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input, everybody! I just went into my local shop over the weekend and ordered the HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash. I just figured, what the hell, and ordered the cymbal I really wanted. When it comes in my set-up will be 14" AA Regular Hats, 18" AAX X-Plosion Crash, 20" AAX Studio Ride, and the 18" HHX X-Plosion Crash, with a 19" Paragon Chinese. Should sound great, can't wait to get it! Thanks again, everyone!

Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by creepshow View Post
    Thanks for the input, everybody! I just went into my local shop over the weekend and ordered the HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash. I just figured, what the hell, and ordered the cymbal I really wanted. When it comes in my set-up will be 14" AA Regular Hats, 18" AAX X-Plosion Crash, 20" AAX Studio Ride, and the 18" HHX X-Plosion Crash, with a 19" Paragon Chinese. Should sound great, can't wait to get it! Thanks again, everyone!
    You won't be disappointed...congrats!

User Info Menu

This past weekend I picked up the 18" HHX X-Plosion Crash I ordered. It sounds AMAZING!! I am so happy! And it sounds perfect next to my 18" AAX X-Plosion Crash. I'm so glad I paid the extra money and got the crash I really wanted. And I was able to trade in my 16" AA Medium Crash (which I never use) towards it.

Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans

User Info Menu

This past weekend I picked up the 18" HHX X-Plosion Crash I ordered. It sounds AMAZING!! I am so happy! And it sounds perfect next to my 18" AAX X-Plosion Crash. I'm so glad I paid the extra money and got the crash I really wanted. And I was able to trade in my 16" AA Medium Crash (which I never use) towards it.
    That's awesome!! Congrats again on the purchase...

User Info Menu

Hey everybody. I recently purchased a Sabian 18" AAX X-Plosion crash and it just might be the best crash I've ever played. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit too well sound-wise with any of my other crashes. I was thinking about getting an 18" HHX X-Plosion Crash or possibly one of those new 18" Freq Crashes. They both sound really good in all of the videos I've watched (my local drum shop doesn't carry either in stock). I was wondering if anyone has played the Freq Crash and do you think it would blend well with my AAX X-plosion (I think it would), or would the HHX X-Plosion be the better way to go? i think that both would mix well with my AAX X-Plosion, but the Freq would definitely be cheaper. Just looking for opinions/experiences with them, not wanting people to make the decision for me. I'll make up my own mind, don't worry.

Thanks, everyone!
    Hi,

I agree your opinion of 18" AAX X-plosion crash.. Probably the best crash I've ever played.. I have builded my cymbal setup only with AAX-cymbals and I love those..

I have 14" AAX X-plosion crash, 16" AAX X-plosion fast crash, 18" AAX X-plosion fast crash, 20" AAX China, 8" AAX splash and 21" AAX raw bell dry ride. These blend 100% fine together.

Edit:
    Last edited by JuHiZz69; 04-08-2016 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added picture

User Info Menu

Thanks! 😄

Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans