Thread: Zildjian K series

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian K series

So I've always been a huge fan of Zildjian A Series cymbals. Recently on a whim I picked up a few K series cymbals, 18" K custom Dark crash, 17" K Dark thin crash and a 10" K splash (just happened upon a few killer deals). I have to say, I am so impressed with these cymbals. They are so pleasing to the ears. K series cymbals, at least IMHO are perfect. I'd highly suggest to anyone in the market for cymbals to give these guys an honest shot. I'm probably not saying anything that most of you don't already know but I just needed to share my enthusiasm.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian K series

I agree, I switched a year ago from A Custom crashed to K Hybrids (15" & 17") and love them. I have a regular K 20" ride and now looking to get some Hats. I would really like to get some 15" K light hats but not sure yet.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I like the old "A" Zildjians from the '70s mixed with "K" Dark cymbals.
    Add to that one A Custom and a couple of Wuhan Chinas and I have an array of great crashes and effects.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    So I've always been a huge fan of Zildjian A Series cymbals. Recently on a whim I picked up a few K series cymbals, 18" K custom Dark crash, 17" K Dark thin crash and a 10" K splash (just happened upon a few killer deals). I have to say, I am so impressed with these cymbals. They are so pleasing to the ears. K series cymbals, at least IMHO are perfect. I'd highly suggest to anyone in the market for cymbals to give these guys an honest shot. I'm probably not saying anything that most of you don't already know but I just needed to share my enthusiasm.
    I'm sold as well. I've dabbled with lots of different cymbals but I think I finally found just about the perfect sound for me. I have a K light hat top (recently purchased) over a heavy Zildjian bottom (unknown designation), An 18 Kerope crash (recently purchased) and 22 K Constanople ride. Can't picture needing anything else as I'm a minimalist set guy.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've played many K's that I didn't really like, but they all sounded better than their A counterparts. However, the EFX crashes are especially good, as are some of the K Custom rides. I sold a 20" K Custom Dry Light ride a few months back that was gorgeous. It sounded very much like a real hand-hammered cymbal instead of machine-hammered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I've played many K's that I didn't really like, but they all sounded better than their A counterparts. However, the EFX crashes are especially good, as are some of the K Custom rides. I sold a 20" K Custom Dry Light ride a few months back that was gorgeous. It sounded very much like a real hand-hammered cymbal instead of machine-hammered.
    The only other K I've owned was a K custom special dry ride. Couldn't stand the sound of it. Traded for a ping ride and never looked back. As with anything, it's all about what the individual likes. Some guys I know that have played pro like the sound of ZBT''s and B8's, they were never my cup of tea. I have just discovered that I love the K dark crashes.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I've never played the Special Dry Ride.
    What was interesting for me about the Dry Light ride I had was, in most videos this cymbal sounds dead, but this one sounded very full...dry, but still with plenty of wash if you were laying into it, it just decayed quicker. I could never find a video of this cymbal that sounded anywhere near as good.

User Info Menu

Anyone ever notice that on all K cymbals the engraving is different? There is the crescent moon and star instead of the Arabic script and it also says K Zildjian & Co. Is K still it's own company but run under the banner of Avedis Zildjian? The large logo on both cymbals are the exact same. I do know that Avedis and Kerope were family, like cousins or something. Avedis emigrated to US and Kerope remained in Istanbul.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Played Zildjian A's & Z's all my career & swore by them. Just recently purchased a couple of K Dark Thins (16 & 18) Absolutely love them. Such a lovely sound.

User Info Menu

2 years ago I was able to play some, I'm actually a Paiste Player and I don't like b20 cymbals but the Ks are dark and dark + b20 = great, so if I wouldn't play Paiste I would play Ks.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

BackStreetDrums Guest

I went to the 'dark side' with a complete Kerope setup. A 22", 19",18",15" hats.

These will be, I have no doubt, the cymbals to take me out.

User Info Menu

The only other K I've owned was a K custom special dry ride. Couldn't stand the sound of it.
    I have this ride and when I first heard it in person, I thought exactly the same thing as you but when I brought it into a studio setting and recorded, it was exactly the sound we were looking for.

User Info Menu

I can see where that would be good for studio play for sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    I went to the 'dark side' with a complete Kerope setup. A 22", 19",18",15" hats.

These will be, I have no doubt, the cymbals to take me out.
    Wow! That must of cost a huge fortune. I priced out a set of K Cont with 14" hats 21" ride 16" 18" crash and it put me at $1500 before sales tax...

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Zildjian As, and especially like the new A line. I've had my K Mastersound hi hats for years now, and recently bought a new K Dark Medium-Thin 16" crash. It's quickly become my favorite crash cymbal, so I hope to eventually add 17" and 18" K Dark Thin crashes to the collection. I must admit, though, to being much less enthusiastic about the K Custom line, and for the same reasons I don't like the A Custom line - the extreme high frequencies are missing. (I know the Custom lines are renowned - and marketed - as being "bright," but that's not what I hear. I'm quite convinced that what people call "bright" is actually the highly accentuated mid frequencies that are produced when the lathing lines are rounded off during polishing. Call me crazy, but that's what I hear. But, there is certainly nothing wrong with liking that sound.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Got to play them today in practice for Easter Service and they sound so good. They really blend well they are not as harsh as the A's. We don't have the drums mic'd but if this Facebook link works you can hear them. Don't mind the missed fill, first time I played this song

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001555208884

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=gdmoore28;676918]I'm a big fan of Zildjian As, and especially like the new A line. I've had my K Mastersound hi hats for years now, and recently bought a new K Dark Medium-Thin 16" crash. It's quickly become my favorite crash cymbal, so I hope to eventually add 17" and 18" K Dark Thin crashes to the collection.

Congrats on your new k. I have a 18 Med. thin dark. I like it a lot, but not for every thing I play. I use it mostly in a 60's and 70's rock band. It's a nice sounding cym. I think it sounds kind of bright for a dark cym. Dark is just a label though, the main thing is that I like it. You'll probably add a couple more K's in the future. I'd sure like to get a couple more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have a 18 Med. thin dark. I like it a lot, but not for every thing I play. I use it mostly in a 60's and 70's rock band. It's a nice sounding cym. I think it sounds kind of bright for a dark cym. Dark is just a label though,
    You are exactly right in the case of the K Dark line, and that's why I like them so much. The K Darks have the brilliant, crystaline high frequencies of the new As with the addition of the lower mid tones of many "darker" cymbals. But there is no tradeoff in sound. The Dark Ks are bright and dark. I like 'em.

GeeDeeEmm

BackStreetDrums Guest

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow! That must of cost a huge fortune. I priced out a set of K Cont with 14" hats 21" ride 16" 18" crash and it put me at $1500 before sales tax...
    They were not cheap, but got them all pre-owned off ebay....did not spend more than $300 for the 22" cymbal...the hats I won off a bid for $275...the 18 and 19 were less.

So, all things considered, IMO, a great buy all around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    They were not cheap, but got them all pre-owned off ebay....did not spend more than $300 for the 22" cymbal...the hats I won off a bid for $275...the 18 and 19 were less.

So, all things considered, IMO, a great buy all around.
    Great score!!!

User Info Menu

The only other K I've owned was a K custom special dry ride. Couldn't stand the sound of it. Traded for a ping ride and never looked back. As with anything, it's all about what the individual likes. Some guys I know that have played pro like the sound of ZBT''s and B8's, they were never my cup of tea. I have just discovered that I love the K dark crashes.
    I've had a 21" Special Dry ride for about a month,it did take me about a week to love the sound, I was moving it high and low,over my rack tom, low above the floor tom,different heights,tried about 7 different sticks..and finally found its place,flat about 3" above my 16" floor tom,using 7a nylon tip,I have a 20" HH medium ride to its left about 1.5" higher above my 14" floor tom,the special dry is an awesome cymbal, love it now,killer bell,beautiful dark ride,and just an awesome dark wash when played on the edge and it sounds great with the hh

Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm a little fond of Zildjian K's!

Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Wow that's impressive

User Info Menu

K's are good if you like darker, but for some reason they seem quieter to me. The brighter characteristics of the A line have the cut and volume that helps stand out against all else. The price of A's in comparison is favorable too, so that's a plus for me.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have the same 18" as you, the K Custom Dark Crash, a 16" K Custom Hybrid and a 19" K Custom China. I like 'em!!!! I have 15" A New Beat High Hats, which I like, but I think I'd really rather have either the Constantinople hats or K Custom Hybrid hats.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare