Thread: Axis or Pearl

User Info Menu

Default Axis or Pearl

I've been looking into getting either the Axis A double pedal (short boards, I'm not a long boards fan) or the Pearl Demon drive Double.

How do these pedals compare to each other? Which is faster, hits harder, is built better, etc?

Also, I know that a lot of direct drive users trigger. I don't and never plan to. Just thought I would say in case that matters with which pedal to get.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Axis or Pearl

The pearl demon drive is a smooth pedal, I've heard nothing but good things about it. The demon drive can short or long board pedal and its more customizable to fit your needs, They are both direct drive. Some people prefer it over the Axis, but you should try these pedals first its always about the feel.

User Info Menu

After late8's review of the Demon Drives I wouldn't go anywhere near them. I've had the Axis X for about 6 years now, couldn't be happier.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    After late8's review of the Demon Drives I wouldn't go anywhere near them. I've had the Axis X for about 6 years now, couldn't be happier.
    Can you post a link to his review?

User Info Menu

His review can be found here:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...9.html?t=10859

I agree with the main negative, which was that the beater didn't feel powerful enough. I popped in my old Yamaha one and things have felt great since. As far as the need for an external case, I made my own out of a steel toolbox for maybe $30 worth of materials.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've been playing the Pearl Demon Drive double pedal foe about a year and a half now, and I absolutely love them. After a couple years of playing single chain and double chain pedals, it took a little bit to get used to the feel of the direct drive, but once I did, and got them dialed in to my personal preferences, I can say that I will not be buying any other pedals.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

The demon drives seem pretty nice. I'm an axis user myself, and love them. The feel and response is great. They also have really great customer service and stand behind their products. In the end, you would be best served trying them both out though if at all possible.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Like mentioned by some Demon Drive and Axis are great pedals. The choice would be for you to try either one and see for yourself how they drive, feel etc.

User Info Menu

I would like to try both but no one in my area has them in stock. I have played on the Axis long boards and I know I'm not a fan of the long board style of pedals. But Im sure the short boards feel different.

The thing I do remember about the Axis long boards is that they were super fast but did not have a lot of power. I played on the demon drive years ago but honestly can't remember how they feel.

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

I own AXIS A-L 2's and a Demon drive double

I switch back and forth. they are both great.

demons are smoother and feel better. Axis hit harder. I'd say the Axis may have a slight edge on speed, but the Demons I can feel where I am better and my playing is better.

It's tough. they are very different, I have em both in longboard though

User Info Menu

I've also played both and own Axis pedals. (my music store is a pearl dealer)

I do like the demon drives a lot they are a great pedal.
    But my axis pedals still feel better to me.
    But Axis is primarily only a pedal company... that's their big push and focus.
    So you'd hope they have it nailed! haha

User Info Menu

I would go with AXIS. I like it's feel better.

Smaller company and the people involved - from owners down are fantastic.

(Nothing to slight anyone that works for PEARL....some good people there too.)

Not to hijack the thread...has anyone had any experience with there (Axis) hardware. WOW!
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Not to hijack the thread...has anyone had any experience with there (Axis) hardware. WOW!
    I don't, but definitely hearing any first hand reviews...................I know they make some extremely light stands, and the older I get, the more that appeals to me.

From what I've seen, they are pretty expensive though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I don't, but definitely hearing any first hand reviews...................I know they make some extremely light stands, and the older I get, the more that appeals to me.

From what I've seen, they are pretty expensive though
    They're not....but the first thing I unload every night and the last thing I load is my hardware case. I'd bet it's close to50 -60 pounds. It's awkward thing to throw around and a back breaker.

I spent some time with the Axis folks at NAMM the whole week. Was really blown away by the stands. I will be a customer soon.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.