Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your cymbal setup like?

User Info Menu

Default What's your cymbal setup like?

Most of the time I use a 18" crash above the left tom, a 20" ride above the right time, a 18" above the floor and a pang just to the right of that. I also set up a splash above the HH's quite often.

User Info Menu

I tend to favour the ride over above the floor tom and my crashes as close to the rack toms as possible with out them hitting anything once they get wobbling
    Right now, my setup, from left to right, is 16" light crash, 18" med crash, 18" med-light crash, then 20" ride.

Before my splash broke I had it behind the snare drum, lower than the high-hats... that's where I put my cowbell now, or sometimes I put a Harley-Davidson Carburetor cover there... it sounds very much like a fire bell only more awesome.
    O Bailan Todos, O No Baila Nadie

Pictures Of my Drums -- My Last.fm page

User Info Menu

I prefer my ride over the floor tom too, that way I can keep it low. I also keep my crashes right over the toms and as low as possible. From left to right: 16" Thin crash, 18" medium crash, 14" quick crash, 16" medium crash, 14" china, 12" splash, and 20" medium ride with the 18" and 14" directly over my toms.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I have my B8's arranged tonally corresponding to my toms and on the same level , directly over my hats I have a 14" med crash, to the left of that is a 16" thin crash, then an 18" crash/ride, then 20" ride, then 20" B8 pro ride, then 18" B8 pro China and stacked on top of the china I have a 10" Zildjian A Custom thin Splash. over and between the two 20" Sabian rides I have a 20" Zildjian A Custom Projection Ping Ride, Over and between my 14" and 16" B8 Crashes, I have a 16" Zildjian A Custom Projection med crash, and directly over and to the left of my hats I have an 18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride. I have a set of 14" A custom projection Hats, but honestly I prefer the B8's. and I have some generic sheet metal 8" thin splash by a company called Salsa I think, which resideds on my bookshelf, because it sounds like an old crushed pepsi-can when you hit it.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Once I get all my add ons...
    I'm planning on having a pretty basic setup, 16, 17, 18, and 20 inch crashes left to right and then a 22 inch power ride lowered beneath the last crash right above my floor tom. All the spashes and effects would go close to my hihat and whatnot.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I've moved my toms over to the left, so that my 10" is just close to not hitting the hi-hat. It leaves a nice open space for my ride. Currently I have a 16" Crash over to the left of my toms, so just above my Hi-Hat and a little to the right. Currently that's all the cymbals I have since I sold my PDP X7 kit. I don't plan on getting anymore cymbals soon, I think I'll keep saving up for my dream kit.

User Info Menu

Here is mine, but is always subject to change lol

14" set of New beat hats, I use an 6" A custom splash just behind and over my snare drum, an 8" A custom splash over my first rack tom, and 18" A custom medium thin crash to the left of my first rack tom, and 16" A custom projection crash over my middle rack tom, a 20" K kustom ride sits between my floor and middle rack tom, I also use a 16" Wuhan S Series crash just to the rite of my ride, and 12" Wuhan china next to my ride, under my 16" wuhan and lastly an 18" oriental china to the right on my 16" wuhan crash, looks like this.

User Info Menu

Gonna upgrade my Planet Z to another awesome budget Stagg DH 14" cymbals, love them. Then I'll probably get a big proper crash over my ride cymbal, and then I'll upgrade my hats and my ride...or maybe upgrade first...hmm.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

i got my 14'' crash over my 10'' and 12''toms, then the 20''ride next to my 12'' tom and a 16'' crash over my floor tom
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

. this is my setup for my cover band minus a 16" k custom dark crash to the right of the left side ride. cymbals are...

6" zil bell
    18" zil. k custtom session ride
    14" zil. quick beat hats.
    16" zil. k custom dark crash
    12" sabian hhx evolution splash
    8" sabian paragon splash (piggybacked on 12" splash)
    17" zil. a custom crash
    18" zil. a custom crash
    22" sabian paragon ride
    18" sabian xs 20 china.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 11-13-2007 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    current setup for cover band.
    Dude I love your set-up, so clean and nice, adn I love you wall as well, very cool man.

User Info Menu

thnx kevin. i'm lookin forward to seeing your "best vid yet" as soon as i get some time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    thnx kevin. i'm lookin forward to seeing your "best vid yet" as soon as i get some time.
    Hope you like it, now I am nervous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    I have my B8's arranged tonally corresponding to my toms and on the same level , directly over my hats I have a 14" med crash, to the left of that is a 16" thin crash, then an 18" crash/ride, then 20" ride, then 20" B8 pro ride, then 18" B8 pro China and stacked on top of the china I have a 10" Zildjian A Custom thin Splash. over and between the two 20" Sabian rides I have a 20" Zildjian A Custom Projection Ping Ride, Over and between my 14" and 16" B8 Crashes, I have a 16" Zildjian A Custom Projection med crash, and directly over and to the left of my hats I have an 18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride. I have a set of 14" A custom projection Hats, but honestly I prefer the B8's. and I have some generic sheet metal 8" thin splash by a company called Salsa I think, which resideds on my bookshelf, because it sounds like an old crushed pepsi-can when you hit it.
    Saluda by any chance?

So my cymbals go like this, from left to right, 13" Paragon hats, 16" A custom crash with 8" avedis splash directly underneath over the first rack tom.

Over the second tom I have a 14" zht crash (soon to be replaced, perhaps with an aax or a custom 17 or 18"), 20" zxt ride over the first floor tom (also to be replaced almost definatley with a Sabian hhx evolution ride 21") and finally a 16" zht china over the second floor, which imo sounds amazing for what it is and won't be getting replaced any time soon.

(always wanted to use that smiley :D)
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    Saluda by any chance?

Saluda it is! It's trash! The guy I bought the kit from used to put the 18" china upside down and put the saluda in it for an extra trashy sound. I refuse to use it though.

User Info Menu

Going left to right, I have a 14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats, a 14" Zildjian ZHT Crash to the left of my left ride tom, a 12" Wuhan Splash high and over the left ride tom, a 16" Zildjian A Custom Crash slightly to the right of the right tom, a 20" Zildjian ZBT Rock Ride over the 14" floor tom, and an 18" Wuhan China over the 16" floor tom. My

My next cymbal purchase will be an 18" A Custom Fast Crash.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Going left to right, I have a 14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats, a 14" Zildjian ZHT Crash to the left of my left ride tom, a 12" Wuhan Splash high and over the left ride tom, a 16" Zildjian A Custom Crash slightly to the right of the right tom, a 20" Zildjian ZBT Rock Ride over the 14" floor tom, and an 18" Wuhan China over the 16" floor tom. My

My next cymbal purchase will be an 18" A Custom Fast Crash.
    Wow pastor! when did these new bad boys make their way into the setup?

And I had heard saluda make amazing pro quality cymbals, is it cracked by any chance?
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

I have 14" 15" 17"18" A Custom crashes 10" k zildjian splash and a 22" late
    50s early 60s A zildjian ride. 14" Zildjian A Quick Beats for high hats

User Info Menu

From Left to Right.

14' Top Hat- Zildjian A Quick Beat
    14' Bottom Hat - Zildjian K Mastersound
    ( Excellent Combo - GREAT volume and chick with a sweet sizzle )

Sabian 12' Splash

Zildjian 16 A Fast Crash
    Zildjian 15' K Custom Crash
    Zildjian 17 ' K Custom Crash

Just in shot - Zildjian 20' Projection Ride

Out of shot - Zildjian 18' Oriental China and Wuhan 12' China

I think I need 1 more Crash and 1 more China ( 18's ) over there on the left?

To answer the initial question this thread started as
    I like the ride low over the F/tom.
    I would like my other crashes a little lower but I tend to hit them when going for the toms when I lower them
    I ride the 17K a lot - but like the crash sound of the 16 better
    The location of the little splash is great for mixing with the Timbales
    And I love to be able to 'whip' the Chinas where they are.

Geez I can ramble
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Nice setup wotto! how are the K customs, I've never played them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Nice setup wotto! how are the K customs, I've never played them.
    Cheers.

My apolgies,

My 17' is a K "Dark' Series

My 15 is a ' Custom Fast"

To me they are exactly as described - the 17 is so FRICKING loud,

When I bought it I was in the shop with a stick banging away at cymbals and I had stopped at this 17' dark and was 90% on buying it, then I was listening to this guy had jumped on the in-store demo kit where they allow you to tryout cymbals with a kit.

I was listening to him thinking how bloody good the crash he was riding on sounded as it 'carried' nicely for a chorus type ride effect but then BOOM , it opened right up when hit hard for a crash effect and it turned out to be this exact same ( series of ) cymbal !

Likewise the 15 is short and sharp with enough sustain to give it a CRASH but not too much 'carry/wash' - very sweet- I should hit it more

Cheers

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

wow pastor, nice A cust and wuhan. didnt know u had them, very nice. love the drums wotto.

User Info Menu

i love your kit wotto. great gear and setup.

User Info Menu

16" crash on left, another crappy crappy 16" crash on the far right and were my old 14" drum used to be is my ride and aboth that is a trashy cymbal i sorta made outa my old hihat top.

User Info Menu

Paiste 502 14" hi hats.
    Zanchi 15" crash, Avedis Zildjian 16" rock crash on the left side.
    Zildjian A custom 16" crash in the midle.
    Avedis Zildjian 17" rock crash, Avedis Zildjian 16" thin crash, K zildjian 22" ride and Avedis Zildjian 18" china on the right side
    Keep On Drumming