Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on using Crash ride as Only Ride

User Info Menu

Smile Opinions on using Crash ride as Only Ride

Hello guys. Yesterday I got a solid deal from a distant friend of mine. I got a Meinl MCS 16" Crash, Meinl 18" Crash Ride, Meinl HCS 8" Splash and one Sabian AAX 18" China. I was thinking of using my earlier Zildjian Planet Z crash for the secondary crash and my Crash Ride as Ride only.. Will it be worth it? Or Iam better off getting a proper ride. Please help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Opinions on using Crash ride as Only Ride

I've used my crash ride as a ride, i mean, it really depends on the type of music. for jazz you can do this, the issue with my 18" is that it can get 'washy' if you try to ride on it, so you lose articulation if you are using sticks and riding it for rock music.

The best advice is to just try it for a while. You aren't going to lose a gig just because your ride doesn't suit the music, so try it for a month or two, then see. If money is a bit of an issue, then you can sell one of those crashes and put it towards a ride, if it's not, then maybe just go ahead and get the ride anyway.

I've used my crash ride for two gigs with my rock band, it was ok, my main reason was to try it out, plus to not have such a heavy bag. Also, for a heavier song we recorded, I used it as the ride because it's crashier!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I tried it. Played a couple of songs. The bell on the crash ride is not bad. However a person is selling his new Wuhan 18" Ride. Should I get that? Coz money is a factor since am a student.

User Info Menu

As you already have bought the cymbals - just play what you have for a while and make a decision of upgrading or not based on your own experiences. I wouldn't buy a ride cymbal just because the one I currently use is labelled crash/ride before I played it for a while. You may find it works ok for you.

On the other hand - if you feel you must have a ride cymbal, just post what genre of music you play and ask for recommendations. You'll get lots of replies.

User Info Menu

A ride cymbal is a personal preference.
    For me, it is a critical component of my kit and I would never settle for anything less than I want.
    I like them big and heavy with plenty of ping and minimal wash.
    For me, an 18" would never pass the test.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Iam into all types of music. Ride cymbals second hand are also costly thats the issue

User Info Menu

Yep, you can do anything you want, if it fits your style and sound. I use an 18" crash/ride with my jungle kit. Its a little washy, but you can control it by adjusting where you play it and how hard. Its actually kind of fun once you get it figured out.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have a Sabian crash ride on my student kit and I just hate it. To washy for a ride for me yet awful sounding as a crash lol

I tell all my students you either buy a ride or you buy a crash.. just not a crash/ride.

With that said there are lots of rides that make good crashes and lots of crashes that can make a good ride. But I think the company crash/ride usually sound awful.

User Info Menu

I normally use a 20 inch Zildjian Medium Ride but I've been using a 21 inch Zildjian K Crash/Ride and I love it . I did have to put a small piece of duckt tape near the bell to help control some of the wash . I have to play all sorts of musical styles since I do this for a living . My main gig is a R&B/Blues type gig but I also play with the Tejano bands (Mexican) on the South side of town too . The Tejano gig is cool because they have a big horn section . The bell on this cymbal cuts through very well and the crash sound works too . You just have to look for the right one I guess .
    When I was younger I had read that Steve Gadd used a 18 inch crash ride so I went out and got one too (I was such a Steve Gadd wanna be !) and used it for a while . But then one day I sat in on a rental kit with a 20 inch ride and I realized how I missed a proper ride so I went back to my 20 inch .
    Like many have said ...use what you want . Labels be damned !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I tell all my students you either buy a ride or you buy a crash.. just not a crash/ride.
    Bingo.....................good advice.
    If I need a wash, I use something else.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

So as you see Xombied, there are many opinions. Other factors to consider is your stick choice, muting/how you mount the cymbal, what you do on it when you're playing, and how you hit it.

For Ricardo and Spaz, they are against. I'm not fully sold on my crash ride as a ride for rock music either, however it worked quite nicely in this country/folk band I was playing in for a while (I played with brushes and maybe on one song rods). Since it seems money is a factor, try it for a few months, worst case, sell the crash/ride or another cymbal and you should be halfway there to a good used ride at the very least...

User Info Menu

Hey guys thanks alot... Meinl MCS Crash Ride.. the bell sound is bad :/ i have to get a ride.. can anyone suggest me the cheeeeeeapest 20 inch ride?

User Info Menu

Here is a quote from a different thread.........................

Not long ago I was asking about cheap cymbals ...so I could host jam sessions and allow other drummers access to my kit but not expose my high end Zildjians to breakage etc. I dropped by a small music store in Norman, Oklahoma ...I go by there occasionally and he showed me a 20" Radian XL ride cymbal...he had it priced at $110.00 and after a bit of haggling...we agreed on $65.00. Man this thing really sounds good...for being a cheap "chinese" cymbal. I would recommend it to any of you guys looking for an entry level ride cymbal that sounds way better than most entry level cymbals.

User Info Menu

The cheapest commonly available Ride cymbal I can think of is probably a USED 20" Sabian B8, B8 Pro or the older, Pro or Pro Sonix Ride - they are all made of B8 metal (like the Meinl MCS!) and I can't remember any occasion where there haven't been at least 10 of them listed on eBay. Because there are so many of them around (and they are budget cymbals) they tend to sell from about £30 to £50 in the UK so I'm assuming you should be able to pick up a reasonable example for $30 - $50..

Before considering buying try to visit a drum store and listen to the new BX Sabian ride as it is essentially the same thing or a B8 or B8 Pro if they have any in stock.

They aren't the most sophisticated cymbals by any means but they tend to be dirt cheap and readily available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xombied View Post
    Hey guys thanks alot... Meinl MCS Crash Ride.. the bell sound is bad :/ i have to get a ride.. can anyone suggest me the cheeeeeeapest 20 inch ride?
    The Sabian B8 is a good option, New or used. Also, the Paiste PST3 is cheap brass, but sounds surprisingly good.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use my 19" Zildjian A Thrash Ride as just a crash and love it. Wish that recipe was made in different sizes.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Opinions on using Crash ride as Only Ride

A cymbal is a cymbal ( you can ride or crash ,,,anything...) my opinion...cheapest ,,,easiest to find ,,,,sabian b8 ride can be found about $30 ,,,,i have one of just about everything in $5000 worth of cymbals ,,,& when nerve entrapment caused ....way... Different options ..i had to start using "ahead anti vibe drumsticks ....ping became pang unlike wood sticks...gone were my vic firth nylon 5a's ,,,all my zildjian (vinnie c's ) a customs...(drummer from "keel" inherited the lot...and i bought or traded for sound...sabains ,,,paiste & stuff people dont even know existed,,,,my favorite "ride " for years a "20.5 " sabian aax chad smith explosion crash cymbal ...i did a benefit for a photographer lissa wales in 2006 (she was diagonosed with leukemia & treatments were $$$$$ ....troy lukekotta (tesla ) did a benefit to raise funds with many phamous names (contact me abt those details ) anyway ...chad autographed that cymbal for me there (after blowin smoke in my face & me cussin him out for it !!! ,,,but ,,,,like a dummy ,,,i saw something else ...years later (a paiste flat ride ,,,that at that moment i wanted more ,,,,when i was runnin a drum shop),,,,it took me almost 5 years to get another chad crash ,,,he still intends to "resign,,,on promise i dont get stoopid "....lmao,,,,now most of my rides are paiste ,,,except,,,my favorite ,,,all purpose cymbal of last 30 years????? Da bottom of a 1960 15" zildjian hihat cymbal,,,great crash ride & da bell of an angel !!!!!,,,,just sayin.....true dat
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I live in India so u know the prices are damn high (-________-!) i have like 40$-45$ to spend.. however a guy is trying to sell his 18" Wuhan Ride and yes its written Ride only not Crash\Ride.. should I try looking into that?

User Info Menu

by my count, you have right now 6 cymbals, why not trade one?

User Info Menu

Take a pair of sticks with you and check out that Wuhan 18" ride - you will either love it or hate it. All Chinese B20 cymbals have a reputation of having a fairly wide variation in sound and weight.

I have a Stagg Classic 18" Medium Thin crash (that weighs 1.8 Kg - I don't know why they call it medium thin, the label stupidly heavy gongy crash would be a better description) that I use as a ride cymbal on my Sonor Jungle kit - it has a great bell and works fine as a dedicated ride. As a crash - meh!

I also have a Stagg 20" DH Jazz Ride - the bell is rather feeble, its mediocre as a ride (the Classic Medium Thin Crash is MUCH better), but works well as a rock crash.

Both of these cymbals are Chinese made B20 just like the Wuhan ride you are considering, I bought both used for little money and like both of them - but not for the purpose they were designed for.

Make sure you sound test that Wuhan, it may be good, but be prepared to walk away.

User Info Menu

I had a chat with that Wuhan seller guy. I will check it first and then take it. He is asking for 47$ for it. Now in India cymbals are costly. but still how much should I pay for it according to you people? Check the picture

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I don't anything about Indian currency but 47 dollars seems very very cheap for any decent cymbal.

all the best...

User Info Menu

The pic hasn't appeared - just a small box with an X in it?

If it is in good shape with no damage then $47 is a fair price (don't worry about tarnish or stick marks as that can be cleaned off easily if clean cymbals is your thing).

User Info Menu

Ever go pawn shopping? I look for drum deals all the time at local pawn shops.