Thread: Drums in the apartment

User Info Menu

Exclamation Drums in the apartment

Hello!, so im a newcomer to drums ive started 2 months ago and saddly i moved into an apartment,i still have my drums but my dad doesnt let me play in the apartment due to the apartment complex being old and the isolation isnt good,i was thinking about putting like half of a metter of padding under my drums (the cealing is pretty high so i dont have room issues,there is also a old room on the rooftop that is rarley used,its right under my room so i dont think it would really anoy anyone,anyone got an idea of what i should do ?,i really wanna play the drums since its a a dream i had since i was pretty young,i might go and ask my neighbours if i can use the room but my dad thinks its a bad idea,ps my english is pretty bad so i am sorry about that

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums in the apartment

It takes years to get good on drums. Maybe use mesh heads or pads (clothes) to muffle the sound. I'd take a snare drum and hi hat to a park and practice there for awhile.

User Info Menu

When I got my first set I lived in a apartment it was a 5 unit building. The neighbors were cool with my playing no complaints. Besides the neighbor next to me was a heavy metal guitarist but it could be also the time you practice. For example, in the daytime most people are at work or gone. There used to be a company called Drum Off that made pads for drums and cymbals. I had some friends that lived in apts and bought them. Not sure on the price or if they are still around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    When I got my first set I lived in a apartment it was a 5 unit building. The neighbors were cool with my playing no complaints. Besides the neighbor next to me was a heavy metal guitarist but it could be also the time you practice. For example, in the daytime most people are at work or gone. There used to be a company called Drum Off that made pads for drums and cymbals. I had some friends that lived in apts and bought them. Not sure on the price or if they are still around.
    Il ask my neighbours when i get my kit setup and talk to them.

User Info Menu

I heard the dw practice pad kit is apartment friendly

User Info Menu

You could put towels over your drum heads and cymbals. This would mute them right down. You could also find drum muting kits on Ebay, they come drum head and cymbal mutes. Good luck! and enjoy your learning journey its a long road, remember to keep an open mind and just stay at it. Check out a movie called whiplash, it'll show you the meaning of a purposeful practice.

User Info Menu

welcome killjoy.

Where in the world are you? That would help in getting you better advice. As already mentioned, there are special pads you can buy to mute your kit, and yes, the DW practice pad is very silent, yet very realistic (for a pad anyway).
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

i live in a small country called slovenia

User Info Menu

There are rubber pads that you can but to go over your cymbals and drums. If you don't want to spend any money, towels is another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love slovenia! I was actually going to move there about 10 years ago, but life decidedly differently. How are the baby dragons?

My guess if you live in one of these lovely, prefabricated buildings the communists left us (panelok in Czech), so yea, everything will be audible, and I wouldn't want one of my neighbors playing drums either, no matter the time.

While you guys are a small country, you're by no means poor, so I'm sure at least in Ljubljana there's a music store with these sound off pads. Also, I've just checked thomann (dot) de (I can't give more of the link due to forum rules), they charge 25E to ship to you, so maybe not the best solution financially, but a solution nevertheless

User Info Menu

yeah i guess my last bet is getting the pads,theres a music shopa few miles away and il check if they have them,if not im just gonna ship over but thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

Not the cheapest option, but be on the lookout for an inexpensive used electronic kit.

I was fortunate to find a used older Roland kit a few years ago. I can plug my phone or mp3 player into it, and play along with anything I want, while wearing headphones. Doesn't bother anyone.

It's not the same feel as a regular acoustic kit, but it lets you play full force, full speed and not try to be quiet.

Good luck, regardless of how you approach it.

User Info Menu

Look into mesh heads and the zildjian L80 low volume cymbals.

User Info Menu

I second the suggestion of the Zildjian low volume cymbals...they really are quiet, and they are real cymbals, so they don't feel insanely different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Look into mesh heads and the zildjian L80 low volume cymbals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I second the suggestion of the Zildjian low volume cymbals...they really are quiet, and they are real cymbals, so they don't feel insanely different.
    They work well, but are pretty expensive