Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware bags/cases?

User Info Menu

Default Hardware bags/cases?

I've never had a case for hardware just for the simple fact that I'm against folding the boom arms out of their playing position. I've recently talked myself into picking one up, mainly to save trips back and forth to the truck at a gig, and I'm thinking the time I'd save making trips back and forth to the truck would more than make up on the time I'd take adjusting 2 of 3 boom arms.

I've got a Roadrunner cymbal bag, so naturally my first instinct was to look at Roadrunner hardware bags. They really only have one, but it looks really nice. It's got wheels, which is a must, and it's tracks on the back so you can slide it across things without snagging the fabric.

Does any one here have one of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Hardware I carry regularly:

-3 Pearl Boom Stands
    -1 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand
    -1 Pearl Snare Stand
    -1 Thrown Base
    -3 Tom Legs
    -1 Bass Drum Tom-Mount

Do you think this will all fit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hardware bags/cases?

I'm not familiar with the roadrunner brand. I just wanted to share what I just learned with my first hardware bag, which is that it was really heavy with all my stands in it and that maybe two would be better than the one. I had 3 cymbal stands, hi-hat stand, snare drum stand and 2 tom arms and the thing weighted at least 100 Lbs. The studio I play in is on a 3rd floor so was not fun at all.

User Info Menu

There's no need to be loyal to a brand that only makes one size option. There are tons on the market. Simply find the size you need and the style you like. I have about 5 different brands when it comes to drum bags and cases.

User Info Menu

I hope Late8 pipes in on this inquiry.

I know that when you have a bag you will normally have a zipper. I'd be looking at the quality of the zipper, as well.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah,if there is anything to know about drum bags,cases,sound reinforcement,Late8 is the man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdelight View Post
    it looks really nice. It's got wheels, which is a must, and it's tracks on the back so you can slide it across things without snagging the fabric.
    Does any one here have one of these? If so, what are your thoughts?
    I've got one and I love it.
    Not sure ALL of your stuff will fit, but it might.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Here's my trick.... well my old trick. Go to the hardware store and buy the pack of multicolored electrical tape. (so red, blue, green, white, etc. etc. )

Then what I did was take a small piece and wrap it around each section of the stand in the same color. So when I take the stands apart the are color coated and when I go to put the pieces back together from the hardware cases I just match up the colors.

User Info Menu

Recall they make 38 and 50 inch versions of the Roadrunner bag. Assume you are getting the large version. Above photo looks sweet. When using a larger version of any hardware bag, as suggested by earlier post, make sure you take into account that it will become the "tank bag" and take care when lifting into the car/truck.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I've got the 50" Road runner bag. It's built very well. It can hold way more hardware then you can pick up by yourself. My only complaint is the weight. Even empty, it's pretty heavy. Like most non-rigid bags, it becomes very awkward to carry when loaded. I personally prefer a hard sided case.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sometimes I think the Bahamian drummers around here got it right. No bags, cases, nothing. They don't break anything down either. Just heave all the components into an open pick up truck and a way they go.

There is something to be said for having el crappo equipment!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Sometimes I think the Bahamian drummers around here got it right. No bags, cases, nothing. They don't break anything down either. Just heave all the components into an open pick up truck and a way they go.

There is something to be said for having el crappo equipment!

all the best...
    Try doing that in England and your gear won't last long. Do they have rain where you live?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Try doing that in England and your gear won't last long. Do they have rain where you live?
    Yep. Doesn't seem to bother them.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I hope Late8 pipes in on this inquiry.

I know that when you have a bag you will normally have a zipper. I'd be looking at the quality of the zipper, as well.
    Sorry...late again.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ing-31916.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've got the 50" Road runner bag. It's built very well. It can hold way more hardware then you can pick up by yourself. My only complaint is the weight. Even empty, it's pretty heavy. Like most non-rigid bags, it becomes very awkward to carry when loaded. I personally prefer a hard sided case.
    yeah had a soft case once for stands and I agree. It was so awkward. I'll always use a hardcase now.

User Info Menu

I use to have one of those bags that are attached to a dolly , like the one pictured in an earlier post . Mine was made by RockBag . That thing lasted me five years but it was a bit bulky . The zippers never failed but the stands did finally wore a hole on the end where all the weight goes when you stand it up . I kept the dolly and attached a Roadrunner bag to it but the RR bag couldn't hold as much hardware as the Rockbag .
    When I got back into playing again I decided to get a new bag . I got this one made by Ahead . This bag holds twice as much as the other two I had without the bulk . I had my second thoughts when I saw the small rollerblade style wheels but man this bag rolls over anything . The luggage style hide away handle and the hard plastic sled on the bottom make pulling this thing up stairs easier . It has heavy duty zippers and straps on the outside . IF , and that's a BIG if , the zipper failed the straps on the outside would certainly keep the top closed and all the hardware safe inside the bag .
    I liked this bag so much that I bought two more for the other kits that I rotate on my gigs . And I gig a lot .
    I highly recommend this bag . You owe it to yourself to at least check it out .
    Rudy.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

I initially got a soft hardware bag, and while it held all my stands, it did not have wheels and was really heavy when loaded. I ended up getting an SKB golf bag flight case which is built like a tank, but has wheels which makes it a little easier to transport. I keep 3 boom stands, hihat and snare stand in that and I use the softbag for mic stands now. The SKB case also takes up more room though, which might become an issue as I'm planning to downsize my vehicle to a compact SUV.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I initially got a soft hardware bag, and while it held all my stands, it did not have wheels and was really heavy when loaded. I ended up getting an SKB golf bag flight case which is built like a tank, but has wheels which makes it a little easier to transport. I keep 3 boom stands, hihat and snare stand in that and I use the softbag for mic stands now. The SKB case also takes up more room though, which might become an issue as I'm planning to downsize my vehicle to a compact SUV.
    +1.................I use an SKB golf case also..............got the idea , years ago, from Marko.

Mine has a broken latch right now, so have to get that fixed.

User Info Menu

I like those Ahead bags posted... soft case but on wheels with a solid backing. Nice.

User Info Menu

I have always just used canvas duffel bags from the Army/Navy surplus store. Split my stands between two bags. One in each hand. $25 each. Done. Helps that the double pedal has its own case.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I have always just used canvas duffel bags from the Army/Navy surplus store. Split my stands between two bags. One in each hand. $25 each. Done. Helps that the double pedal has its own case.
    Same here (well - similar, I use two no-name soft canvas sports bags).

User Info Menu

I'm done with dealing with zippers...

User Info Menu

Fiddling with straps and buckles is better is better than zipping up?

I'm moving the other way, into drum bags.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sorry...late again.
    Never too late, late...wait, what?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm looking at Gator bags. Long enough that I won't have to take apart my hi hat stand, or break down any others. I'm planning on two in order to split the weight. There are others that look better to me, but the ability to fold up legs and booms, stow, and go is most important to me. Finding that in a rugged package with good protection is the problem. The Gators have the sizes, I'm really hoping they're tough.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Fiddling with straps and buckles is better is better than zipping up?

I'm moving the other way, into drum bags.

all the best...
    Dude, you ride your scooters to gigs....give me a break...!