Thread: What do you think of Acrylic drums?

User Info Menu

Default What do you think of Acrylic drums?

Acrylic drums have made a comeback. I personally can't stand them. I think they're beautiful but I've never liked the sound. What's your opinion?

User Info Menu

I think some of them look absolutely gorgeous, but I've never heard a set being played live. I imagine they'd be very bright and punchy.
    O Bailan Todos, O No Baila Nadie

Pictures Of my Drums -- My Last.fm page

User Info Menu

I kinda like them. I got a chance to play one a while ago and it was pretty cool. The sound was very bright, but kinda hollow. A buddy of mine has an old set of Ludwigs he is trying to put together. All he needs is a floor tom now and he will have a 6-piece in smokey clear with black hardware. Beautiful!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Acrylic sets are georgous, but I've yet to hear a single one played. Except maybe the one that Keith Moon played, but they were full of water and fish, so i still don't really know how they sound. I'm eager to hear Portnoys new all acrylic Tama.
    Last edited by Kryshah; 11-10-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool What do you think of Acrylic drums?

Never heard them played myself, but like 1DB suggests, I suspect they're bright but hollow (something like fiberglass congas perhaps?)...seems to me they'd be super high maintenance since they'd show every scrape or scratch if they're mishandled...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

They sound like..can't swear on this forum can we? Anyway you know what I mean.
    Just picture this conversation:
    "My kits made of 6ply Birch? What's yours made out of?"
    "Plastic..."
    "Oh..."

User Info Menu

Yeah... the Vistalites were bright beyond bright. But if you want real '70s nostalgia, the compass points North.

Who remembers these?
    Last edited by Herb Utsmelz; 11-10-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Cool What do you think of Acrylic drums?

Herb, I've seen them but have never played them...but I bet they kicked the sound out big-time...

Anyone who has a set like the one in your pic...man, they'd have a collector's item...BTW, are those yours?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I remember the North drums. I used to have them on the cover of my notebook in high school and hangin' on my walls in my bedroom. I just thought they were the coolest things ever!

User Info Menu

well one of my favorite three bands (the sleeping) plays an acrylic kit and it sounded absolutely nuts live
    while it does seem like they would be kinda hollow
    they actually respond to resonance very well
    they are very full and punchy
    the kick especially
    it pushed alot of low end
    im all in favor
    not to mention they look sweet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Acrylic sets are georgous, but I've yet to hear a single one played. Except maybe the one that Keith Moon played, but they were full of water and fish, so i still don't really know how they sound. I'm eager to hear Portnoys new all acrylic Tama.
    oh, they do sound nice. i saw him play the smaller version with john patrucci on the g3 tour this year. i kinda like the unique sound of acrylic.

i also remember north drums. the only time i ever heard them was from paul bostaph(sp) the old drummer from forbiden...years before he joind slayer.
    they were loud for sure.

User Info Menu

I've played on a pdp pacific acrylic snare, it was very ringy which i didn't like but it didn't sound too bad.

Now the sonor with clear heads on it looks absolutely amazing, i'd love to hear one though.

http://www.harmony-central.com/artic.../sonor_kit.jpg
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

My son has a Pork Pie acrylic snare. It's a nice rock snare. I heard Mike Portnoy playing on Tama acrylics with G3. He sounded incredible!

User Info Menu

travis barker has one, chad smith used one on tour too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    travis barker has one, chad smith used one on tour too
    When was this? I thought he'd been using his ceelite for this last tour and a number of different colour pearl references before, but I dont recall an acrylic one?
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I had a set of vista's in the late 70s. They didn't sound bad at all, of course everyone in the 70s wanted everything to sound dead anyway. So all drums sounded bad in that era. The thing I remeber the most is they were incrediably load in comparison to traditional wood drums. I mean there was a huge difference in volume. it was a huge octa plus set that started with a 6inch tom and ended with an 18 inch floor tom with 6 other toms in between. and a 24" power bass drum. back then though, huge sets were all the rage but this one was just ridiculous.

User Info Menu

Cool article.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I had a set of vista's in the late 70s. They didn't sound bad at all, of course everyone in the 70s wanted everything to sound dead anyway. So all drums sounded bad in that era. The thing I remeber the most is they were incrediably load in comparison to traditional wood drums. I mean there was a huge difference in volume. it was a huge octa plus set that started with a 6inch tom and ended with an 18 inch floor tom with 6 other toms in between. and a 24" power bass drum. back then though, huge sets were all the rage but this one was just ridiculous.
    vistalite octaplus? bet you wish you had those these days huh? you would have to take out a 2nd loan on your home to buy that set these days if you could find it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Yeah, I know I could Kick myself, I did find the snare though and that is the supra 402 that I have refered to in other posts. But I still don't see why they are commanding the prices they are. It's not like vista's are the end all!

User Info Menu

I like the looks of them, but they're a nightmare for you and the sound man. I still prefer wood so much better. Blessings......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    vistalite octaplus? bet you wish you had those these days huh? you would have to take out a 2nd loan on your home to buy that set these days if you could find it.

Yup. Right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Classic-197...QQcmdZViewItem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    Yeah... the Vistalites were bright beyond bright. But if you want real '70s nostalgia, the compass points North.

Who remembers these?
    I remember- and Amen to the 70's nostalgia...I played them and all i go do was sob to the fact that i didnt have the skills that buddy rich had. that woulda been tight
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

$3000 for octa plus in wood and concert toms no less circa 1975 is insane, I don't care who you are, that is just plain nuts imo. All I can is Wow!

User Info Menu

i realy want to try them but i cant find them any whare
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound