Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Manalishi

User Info Menu

Default Green Manalishi

Hey Chatters, first time cover clubber on board.

The radical fringe in our band want to cover Green Manalishi from Judas Priest. Easy and fun song but one part is driving me baffy. Just before the lead there is 4 cycles (8 bars), the first 3 cycles and the first bar of the 4th cycle is pretty much straight forward- common time.

What happens after that when the fill starts count wise. I’m hearing a fill starting on 3 all the way to the next 2, but not sure. I looked up some guitar sheet music- I can’t read well- and is looks like the whole song is 4/4 but there is a single 2/4 measure there in that spot? Not sure about that either.

So how is that section counted? Does the fill take off on 3?

What are your thoughts pros, and thank you for any assistance that restores my sanity.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Green Manalishi

Are you talking about 1:44 to 1:46? Does sound like it starts on 3 but ends on the following 4 to me? It may even start on the and of 2 not sure. I would have to slow it down.

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Are you talking about 1:44 to 1:46? Does sound like it starts on 3 but ends on the following 4 to me?
    Sounds right to me:

1,2,3 1triplet 2triplet 3triplet 4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sounds right to me:

MDK & late8, thanks very much. Yes, it's the part @ 1:44 and it sounds like triplets to me also. It might be easier if you guys could be so kind and count this cover version below out for me.

What count is this guy starting on, and count is he crashing on. I feel stupid asking but what seems like a simple thing doesn't seem to add up on the counts.

In the future, does the site support posts from TubeChop so I can just chop the part I have a question on?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v86LAYmn8NQ

Not sure if the vid will post, if not how do post utube stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sounds right to me:

Correct except proper way to count the fill is below...............and the OP is correct -- fill begins on 3 and ends on 2......................

3-and-a, 4-and-a, 1-and-a, 2 !

Some might be thrown off a bit because 2 and 4 are generally where you hear the back-beats (snare).
    Last edited by Ricardo; 03-08-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Correct except proper way to count the fill is below...............and the OP is correct -- fill begins on 3 and ends on 2......................

3-and-a, 4-and-a, 1-and-a, 2 !

Some might be thrown off a bit because 2 and 4 are generally where you hear the back-beats (snare).
    .....then triplets are on the and-a 4, and-a 1, and-a 2 and starts back on 3

User Info Menu

While waiting, and thinking about the good answers so far I think I solved it.

I think the fill starts on 3 with triplets around to finish 2-e/and on the snare, then crash on 3, 4 snare, back to 1. How does that sound?

User Info Menu

Before the above post I posted a drum cover of the song from utube thinking it may be easier for the pros to see where it is counted, but it didn't get approved I guess as it is not posted. Just a nondescript drum cover, is that against the rules?
    Last edited by 10Lug; 03-08-2016 at 07:54 PM.

User Info Menu

3 and a 4 and a 1 and a 2

crash and lead slam in on 3 which really behaves as 1 again there now
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-08-2016 at 08:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Hard to believe that's a Fleetwood Mac tune!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    Hard to believe that's a Fleetwood Mac tune!
    ?? I thought it was a JP tune ??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ?? I thought it was a JP tune ??
    Yep, it's a Fleetwood Mac song.

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

It's simply triplets for a four count.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    It's simply triplets for a four count.
    Yup...I agree!

User Info Menu

Stop trying to count things out and just listen and then play it. Its a simple fill across the toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Stop trying to count things out and just listen and then play it. Its a simple fill across the toms.
    Signature line material right there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Signature line material right there.
    That probably didn't come off sounding like I meant it. I've been playing drums for over 40 years now and I have never counted anything. I learn by listening, and learning the song structure, then playing. Sometimes I think we tend to over think things buy counting every thing out.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-15-2016 at 05:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    That probably didn't come off sounding like I meant it. I've been playing drums for over 40 years now and I have never counted anything. I learn by listening, and learning the song structure, then playing. Sometimes I think we tend to over think things but counting every thing out.

No worries. What you said is spot on. This whole thread is proof of that. Simple triplets for a 4 measure became a long thread.

User Info Menu

Tough crowd here it seems if this is seen as a "long thread". My apologies if anyone was put off by the thread, and you may have thought I was putting too much thought into it.

If you go back and read the original post, the most prevalent portion of my first post was not WHAT WAS being played, but WHERE IT STARTED AND ENDED. As it turns out it is a simple 4 count measure, as you said, (thanks to some great input from others) BUT it cycles from 3 all the way back to crashing on the next 3, then backbeat on the 4, and off you go to 1 again. That was the point in question.

It was the counting aspect I was most interested in. Sometimes little pieces like this mean more to other band members than just something to pass off as unimportant.

But I am not as professional trained as some others around here may be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 10Lug View Post
    Tough crowd here it seems if this is seen as a "long thread". My apologies if anyone was put off by the thread, and you may have thought I was putting too much thought into it.

If you go back and read the original post, the most prevalent portion of my first post was not WHAT WAS being played, but WHERE IT STARTED AND ENDED. As it turns out it is a simple 4 count measure, as you said, (thanks to some great input from others) BUT it cycles from 3 all the way back to crashing on the next 3, then backbeat on the 4, and off you go to 1 again. That was the point in question.

It was the counting aspect I was most interested in. Sometimes little pieces like this mean more to other band members than just something to pass off as unimportant.

No worries 10Lug. We're all passionate about drumming and there are varying degrees of experience on DrumChat from full-time pros to weekend warriors and hobbyist. I think the responses given and the length of the thread shows how dedicated we are about our craft. It's "All Good".

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Yep, it's a Fleetwood Mac song.

Wow..........never would have guessed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 10Lug View Post

You should not apologize for thinking you may have put us off on the thread or it being too long. I thought it was an interesting point/issue you brought up.
    I am not professionally trained and was curious to a positive answer myself.
    I do not count through a song and have learned to just sense or feel it after much practice but believe it is necessary in areas that get more complicated.
    The fill did start at 3, ended on a 2 and lead and crash start back in at 3 (but if you were to start counting 1 right there instead of 3, it works)

What happened there technically?
    Yes it is 4/4 time but what do you call what happened there?
    Now I'm confused...lol
    I think you are correct that there is a 2/4 measure there 10Lug.
    After that fill, the song starts over at 1 or the slamming into that fill became 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4.
    So that last part could be counted 1 2, 1 2 3 4.
    A good way to actually start the song (using that fill) that way if you wanted to.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-13-2016 at 03:41 AM.

User Info Menu

No worries 10Lug. Sorry if I p*ssed you off. Didn't mean to minimize your question. Everyone here comes from a different point of reference.

User Info Menu

I'm still counting it as 3 & 4 & 1& 2 then crash on 1...
    (that's how I'd play it) so seems a bar of 2/4 after 4/4 or I guess could be 3 bars of 2/4? but then counting is not written music....
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-16-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Peter Green was a phenomenal guitarist.
    Maybe he still is.