Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trick throw off or DW Mag?

User Info Menu

Default Trick throw off or DW Mag?

So I've decided to turn my extra 14"x11" tom into an extra deep snare drum. I'm shopping around online for the components I need, and I'm on the fence between the Trick throw off and the DW Mag throw off. I like the multi-position option of both, and both get very good reviews. I have no experience with either one. All my snares have either the P85 style or a P86. Can anyone who has experience with one or both, Trick and DW Mag, throw in their opinions and help me decide?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trick throw off or DW Mag?

Sorry, no experience with the Trick, but I have an Edge with the Mag and 3 pos. butt plate and it is the best I've ever used.

User Info Menu

Hey Powertrip,I have all three Mag,trick,and Dunnett. I see DW has the 3 pos. on the butt plate,but I don't see any difference. I like the Trick myself,just the way it's made,it's awesome! especially the 3 pos. version(gs 007m).

User Info Menu

I like the looks and the functionality of the DW Mag throw.
    Someday I'll try one out.

If that throw on my Black Magic gives me any trouble, I will certainly look into the Mag throw offered in black chrome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'll never build another snare with out the DW Mag throw. It so smooth and simple. Works amazing. And the 3 select butt it nice to have for sound options too.

I suggest the DW. I also just really like front throws now. No levers just a quick easy front release

User Info Menu

I love my Trick throw on my ocdp snare but, I have to say the DW Mag throw is pretty dang awesome. It came stock on my concept snare and doesn't have the 3 position button plate but it's buttery smooth and easy to use. I don't use my throw off all that often while playing but the DW is really easy to flick on and off really quickly.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. It sounds like the DW is the kitty's whiskers. I'm going to go that route.

User Info Menu

The DW Mag is the way I'd go, too. But you are giving me the hives in thinking about converting such a nice 14" tom into a snare. You will regret the mods in the future, and horribly depreciate the value of that drum. Please think about buying a cheap 14" floor tom on ebay and converting it. You can thank me later.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    The DW Mag is the way I'd go, too. But you are giving me the hives in thinking about converting such a nice 14" tom into a snare. You will regret the mods in the future, and horribly depreciate the value of that drum. Please think about buying a cheap 14" floor tom on ebay and converting it. You can thank me later.

GeeDeeEmm
    GeeDeeEmm, While I appreciate your input, I'm going to go ahead and go through with my plans. I got this tom on ebay a couple years ago, with plans to wrap it to match another kit I had at the time. It really wasn't that expensive. I've since sold the other kit, and have not been succesful in my attempts to sell this tom. Is it a great tom? Yes it is. My thoughts are a great sounding tom can become a great sounding snare/tom.

User Info Menu

Remember, snare drums don't make very good toms and personally I'd be afraid that shell will make a near uncontrollable snare.
    I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Remember, snare drums don't make very good toms and personally I'd be afraid that shell will make a near uncontrollable snare.

So far I'm happy with my results

User Info Menu

I own both throws......................They are both solid.............but I'd recommend the DW.

What I like best is the ability to engage the wires with my knee if necessary..........cant do that with a Trick

User Info Menu

I wouldn't see it as much different than my 14x10 Slingerland marching snare. It's deep and warm and sounds awesome. Hopefully I can get some video when I jam Saturday night with the band. We practice in a little she'd so the sound might be horrible but I'm going to give it a go.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I own both throws......................They are both solid.............but I'd recommend the DW.

What I like best is the ability to engage the wires with my knee if necessary..........cant do that with a Trick
    Gretsch designed their Lightening throw off in the same manner. I love the simplicity of the idea of using your leg/thigh to engage the snares!

Snare wire tension adjustment knob on the butt plate:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

Awesome! Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    So far I'm happy with my results
    I figured you'd have my back.

User Info Menu

After watching and listening to lots of snare head comparison videos, I've decided to go with Evans Genera HD Dry and Evans Clear 300. This drum isn't going to need any help ringing out, in fact it's probably going to need some dampening. It sounds like the Genera HD Dry is best at dampening a ringy snare. I'm normally an Aquarian guy, but I think this one is calling for Evans.

User Info Menu

I decided on the DW Mag throw. I ordered it today, along with the heads, a 30 strand PureSound snare wire and a WorldMax 2.3mm snare side hoop. Now I wait for Brown Santa (UPS guy) to show up!

User Info Menu

Should you cut beds in the snare side edge?

User Info Menu

Should you cut beds in the snare side edge?
    Yes, I'll be cutting snare beds. After reading about the process, I've determined that I need snare beds approximately 3.5" wide, by 1/8" deep. I'll just take it nice and easy with a file, and then sand paper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Yes, I'll be cutting snare beds. After reading about the process, I've determined that I need snare beds approximately 3.5" wide, by 1/8" deep. I'll just take it nice and easy with a file, and then sand paper.
    good call lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    good call lol
    Haha Referring to the 30 strand snare wire, Puresound says, "Additionally, the Super 30 needs only a slightly wider than normal (3 to 3.5 inch) snare bed for optimum performance."

User Info Menu

Isn't anyone going to champion the Ludwig P-85?

User Info Menu

Well, I've received all the parts, minus the reso head and bottom hoop. Still waiting for them. But in the mean time, I cut my snare beds and installed the strainer. I'll post up pics in a new thread.

User Info Menu

since it's mounted now how do you like the initial ease of that mag throw off? Pretty smooth right. When you put snares on it's just as smooth and easy.