Thread: Got a part time gig

User Info Menu

Default Got a part time gig

So a few years ago I was asked by a friend at church to sit in for their drummer at an upcoming gig. They play blues/classic rock. I was a little skeptical because I had zero blues experience but I said I'll give it a shot of you'll have me. Lol. They sent me a set list about 2 weeks before the gig and I didn't have any way to practice other than listen to the songs and practice on my knees and some pillows (had no room to set my kit up in the house). A week before the gig we had a 1 hour practice session where I got to sit down behind the kit and play the songs then we played the gig and it seemed like it went pretty well. I see where it could've been better but all in all it went well. Below is a video of that gig (the video is actually broken up into 4 parts but I'll just post part 1)

Today the guitar player called me and asked if I would be willing to be their back up drummer as their regular drummer is frequently unavailable for gigs. They don't play bars, just mainly community events, weddings and private parties. I was thrilled to say yes and now I gotta brush up on my blues chops.

https://youtu.be/gh-V4ApvX5Q
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got a part time gig

Sounds like it worked out pretty well! Hopefully they're the type of guys who give good cues for the stops, breaks etc., just keep your head up and you're gonna have so much fun!! Congrats!

User Info Menu

It did turn out well. Kind of excited to play with them again. There's nothing on the horizon but at least it'll open up a few more gigs for them if they have a drummer

User Info Menu

Congrats Dog!

User Info Menu

Congrats
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas.

User Info Menu

Congrats on you gig.

User Info Menu

Terrific! And blues is fun to play!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I can dig it sounds really good plus the kids dancing you can't beat that. Hopefully it will lead to more gigs.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I'm going to go jam with them Saturday. Pretty stoked

User Info Menu

sounds great, looks like you're enjoying it too.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    just mainly community events, weddings and private parties
    Those can be nice gigs. I'm not so sure about weddings. Anyway you did good and I'm glad to see that one thing is leading to another.

User Info Menu

Nice job! Your gonna have so much fun! Blues is not so much about what you play, but more about how you play it....the feeling you inject into the music.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Congrats!! Have fun tomorrow! Just enjoy it.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Nice job, my only criticism would be get the band to spread out on the stage. No one was over on the left, (your right) they were all bunched up in one place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Nice job, my only criticism would be get the band to spread out on the stage. No one was over on the left, (your right) they were all bunched up in one place.
    Yeah it was kinda weird but that's how they're used to playing cause they had a lead guitarist and a slide guitar player that used to be on the left of the stage but they had just recently left the band so I guess it was a comfort thing.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Sounds like you did your homework - and I liked the tunes you guys played. You just might step into a permanent gig with these guys because anytime a band member gets a rep with the group of being "unreliable" - then as soon as they find a player who can step in and do his job as good or better than he did... the "New Guy" gets the Gig. Just an observation from 50 years of playin - it might not happen with these guys but it would surprise me if they dont give you the chair as soon as you learn all their "tunes".
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Had a blast jamming with the band tonight. Played some cool stuff. I really need to get out of my box and learn some new fills and stuff though. Especially playing triplets. I can play them all day long on a practice pad but trying to play a triplet fill is out of my reach at the moment. But it's good because it pushes me. Not that I want to play crazy stuff but my goal as a drummer is to keep a solid back beat and throw in some tasty fills here and there.