Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Night Ever

User Info Menu

Default Worst Night Ever

Could anything else go wrong? Well technically yes....

1) 4 songs in I turned to my left to look over to my side and my fan blew a sharp stick shaving straight into my eye. But not like a piece of dust an actual wood sliver. I DIED!! But I held my eye open with one hand and finished the song. Then I went sprinting to the restroom to wash my eye out. Had to use contact drops all night but finally the pain went away. Eye swelled up pretty good too.

2) In the same first set, 2 songs to the end my snare drum broke. I always upgrade the stupid plastic for the string that holds the snare wires on...well on this snare drum I didn't and middle of a song the plastic just SNAPS... So now my snare drum sounds like Lars Ulrich in St. Anger and there's no snare sound. So we ended our set 2 sounds early and I went and swapped out snares.

3) Somewhere in the first set I also cracked another cymbal at the bell!!! What the heck!!! So I'm going to retire the XS20s and swap out all my cymbals to the new XSRs. (This ironically will be a cheaper choice for me because I work at a store) So now I have a cracked hi-hat and cracked 16" crash cymbal. It still plays but I can hear it.. others say they couldn't but trust me it's there...

Lastly... 4) as I was packing up I slipped packing a stand and fell puncturing my finger on a stand. Don't ask how I couldn't figure it out. But my finger was just bleeding everywhere of course because I punctured the tip.

Oh what a night... I hope it never happens again....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Worst Night Ever

Today almost has to be a better day than that.

I hope that none of those things happen to me tomorrow night.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

What a series of flukes !

Ok everybody...............stay away from Spaz for a while...............for your own safety.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

1) 4 songs in I turned to my left to look over to my side and my fan blew a sharp stick shaving straight into my eye. But not like a piece of dust an actual wood sliver. I DIED!! But I held my eye open with one hand and finished the song. Then I went sprinting to the restroom to wash my eye out. Had to use contact drops all night but finally the pain went away. Eye swelled up pretty good too.

2) In the same first set, 2 songs to the end my snare drum broke. I always upgrade the stupid plastic for the string that holds the snare wires on...well on this snare drum I didn't and middle of a song the plastic just SNAPS... So now my snare drum sounds like Lars Ulrich in St. Anger and there's no snare sound. So we ended our set 2 sounds early and I went and swapped out snares.

3) Somewhere in the first set I also cracked another cymbal at the bell!!! What the heck!!! So I'm going to retire the XS20s and swap out all my cymbals to the new XSRs. (This ironically will be a cheaper choice for me because I work at a store) So now I have a cracked hi-hat and cracked 16" crash cymbal. It still plays but I can hear it.. others say they couldn't but trust me it's there...

Lastly... 4) as I was packing up I slipped packing a stand and fell puncturing my finger on a stand. Don't ask how I couldn't figure it out. But my finger was just bleeding everywhere of course because I punctured the tip.

Oh what a night... I hope it never happens again....
    When it rains, it pours!

Damn brother, sounds like one heck of a night. Hopefully your eye and finger recover quickly.

Plus, now you have a valid reason to get some new cymbals!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    What a series of flukes !

Ok everybody...............stay away from Spaz for a while...............for your own safety.
    Haha..........in the Army, we call those guys "Bullet Magnets".

Buddy of mine received two Purple Hearts in two days! Seemed like wherever he was, that's where all the bad stuff went down.

User Info Menu

i had the same thing happen 2 weekends ago on the first song, i finished the song got a 6" strip of gaffa tape, triple folded it, hooked it through the snare wire then into the butt end part and it worked fine, i haven't even changed it yet and used it last week at a gig.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Wow, Murphy sure was busy!

Sorry to hear about all that. I hope your eye will be OK. Fingers heal, but eyes are nothing to mess about with.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Wow lots of bad things happening. Maybe next time will be better.

User Info Menu

Time to incorporate some cool safety glasses into your wardrobe.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

First off, never ask that question!!!! Lol

Sounds like a heck of a night Zack. Glad your eye is OK and you didn't impale yourself on a stand or something when you fell.

User Info Menu

1) 4 songs in I turned to my left to look over to my side and my fan blew a sharp stick shaving straight into my eye. But not like a piece of dust an actual wood sliver. I DIED!!
    Oh man. what a night!! Those slivers from your sticks ain't small shavings either. I remember these pics you posted when you had issues with ProMark sticks; that's like getting a tree branch jabbed into your eye Zack. I hope you're okay man. Way to stick it out!!

User Info Menu

Jesus man. i have never seen sticks that bad.. and breaking cymbals. you may be hitting a touch too hard

Horrible night it's like you were auditioning for spinal tap..

User Info Menu

Hey Spaz, sounds like an Abbott and Costello routine

User Info Menu

yeah my sticks shred pretty bad.
    And I'll admit I can get pretty carried and hit pretty hard. . .

Oh man Spinal Tap haven't seen that movie in years lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Wow

User Info Menu

Spaz, Spaz, Spaz, how hard do you hit?

Playing from 1970 to 2005-6, I doubt if I went through 25-30 pairs of sticks.

That was 4 sets a night, 4-5 nights a week.

Every 2 pairs of sticks you buy is a package of Pampers, better ease off on the force you use.

User Info Menu

After reading the OP, I looked up klutz in the dictionary and damn if your picture didn't pop up.

User Info Menu

What a crazy night. Sounds like you went through a lot of pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Good job getting yourself through all that Spaz, the other night at practice i felt a piece of stick bounce off me at the inside corner of my eye. Was thankful it didn't go in.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Wow Spaz. Way to stick it out, though. True performer/musician through and through.

Still, it was painful even seeing the thread title (Worst Night Ever), let alone the actual painful (literally) "walk through" of the events of the night.

You had it though--including the snare backup. Do feel like we all need to send good vibes your way. That was WAY more than your share of bad events. Hoping you used that "bullet magnet" aura up for a few years.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Wow! that was a terrible night for you man, you made me feel bad for ya! that adrenaline starts pumping sticks and cymbals mean very little. You maybe hitting too hard, if not check the angles on your cymbals. If that all checks out check your playing dynamics.

User Info Menu

I think hitting too hard pretty much covers it.

User Info Menu

Wow crazy night.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Oh dear!
    I played a 5 night show last week and had conjunctivitis , that was pretty bad :(
    At least I knew the show by then, so I didn't need to read too much, and for once none of the school gear collapsed or broke on me!
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Omens!

all the best...