Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Yamaha Maple Custom "Maple Monster"

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Yamaha Maple Custom "Maple Monster"

That sucks, dude. I'll keep an eye on my local CL for you.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm extremely disappointed.
    The guy backed out on me and so I am back on the search for both a snare drum and a bass drum...

this sucks I'm so sad and heart broken
    Oh well. At least you might find a smaller size now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Here she is!!! Years of searching have come to an end... the rare 14x4 Piccolo Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage Natural snare!

Sorry the sun is really shinning through the curtains awful... I'll get better photos later.

User Info Menu

my 14x5.5 and 14x4 .... Now to see if they make a 14x6.5 in my finish.. I've seen one in the blonde finish.

Here's the snare it will replace... My first ever PorkPie snare.

sorry a bit blurry...

Now I really need that bass drum so I'll have a huge wrap around kit. I'll add another hi-hat over there and then I can play also funk and pop on the left side haha.

User Info Menu

That is such a sweet set! Good luck on the bass Spaz.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

This kit is awesome, I am however extremely biased.

I don't think we have any duplicate sizes, which is strange given the amount of drums you have...

I know for sure they made a 14x5 snare. Your main snare appears to be the original MC's with the serial # over the vent hole. They must have switched to a 5" when they updated the MC's. Although in the pics yours looks like its deeper than 5.5"

Mine:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    This kit is awesome, I am however extremely biased.

I don't think we have any duplicate sizes, which is strange given the amount of drums you have...

I know for sure they made a 14x5 snare. Your main snare appears to be the original MC's with the serial # over the vent hole. They must have switched to a 5" when they updated the MC's. Although in the pics yours looks like its deeper than 5.5"

Mine:

oh man that's a beauty!! I wish Mine was still just a clean simple setup most days!

Anyways yeah I have an older original version for sure. My serial number is over the vent hole. I measured the snare and it was a 14x5.5 for sure. I'll get a measurement of my actual toms sizes.

What sizes are all of yours? When you're ready to sell hahaha let me know! I'll keep this kit till I die.. I'll have to be buried in it.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I absolutely love them, probably my favorite kit I own. I picked them up a couple of years ago from the original owner, they never left his house, they look brand new. It's a matching kit made in 1994. I believe the sizes are:

10x7
    12x8
    14x14
    20x16
    14x5

What's interesting is your kit appears to have the deeper toms but yet has YESS mounts on them. Most of the earlier kits I've seen have the deeper toms but are non-YESS. I would guess your kit was built in early 93' or late 92'? I'm assuming the 'core' of this kit is a matching 7 pc?

If I ever sell, you'll be be first to know. If you happen to come across an 'extra' 22" kick or a 16" floor I'll gladly buy them. We need to be careful that we're not bidding against eachother on these auctions, haha.

User Info Menu

Man.. although i like small kits.. those are some of the prettiest drums ever.. just beautiful.

User Info Menu

Nice setup man!
    Gretsch Maple Renown 6PC.
    Pearl Session Studio Classic 5 C.
    6.5 x 14 Dunnett Stainless Snare
    Sakae Almighty Birch 6 PC (On the way)
    Regular, A and K Custom Zildjian Cymbals
    Pearl DR-503C Rack

Also play a Taylor 814-CE on a Fishman LBX-700 AMP.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I absolutely love them, probably my favorite kit I own. I picked them up a couple of years ago from the original owner, they never left his house, they look brand new. It's a matching kit made in 1994. I believe the sizes are:

10x7
    12x8
    14x14
    20x16
    14x5

What's interesting is your kit appears to have the deeper toms but yet has YESS mounts on them. Most of the earlier kits I've seen have the deeper toms but are non-YESS. I would guess your kit was built in early 93' or late 92'? I'm assuming the 'core' of this kit is a matching 7 pc?

If I ever sell, you'll be be first to know. If you happen to come across an 'extra' 22" kick or a 16" floor I'll gladly buy them. We need to be careful that we're not bidding against eachother on these auctions, haha.

Yeah this was originally a 7 piece. Funny thing is I bought it from a music company that was using it for recording and brought it to a jazz camp I was in. When I negotiated buying it from them I thought it was only a 4 piece because that's what we used in the jazz camp finale. Then when I bought it they gave me a 7piece with cases and a new throne.

I've done small research but I also noticed that I have extremely deep toms compared to others I have found. Made setting it up how I wanted it a little harder cause I like the shallow depth of my PDP kit. My compromise was to move the 8" to the far right but I ended up loving the setup.

I'll keep an eye out for you and make sure to send you anything I find! We're not officially like brothers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    That is such a sweet set! Good luck on the bass Spaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Man.. although i like small kits.. those are some of the prettiest drums ever.. just beautiful.
    Thank you guys!

User Info Menu

well some of you already think I'm crazy so why not just keep that crazy train a rollin.....

It's not exactly what I wanted but it is something I needed/wanted.
    So truth be told my second bass drum isn't an actual Yamaha Maple Custom... it's the absolute. I just try to hide that fact. Well I got my hands on a second Yamaha Maple Custom in the 22x18 size.

Had it shipped to my work...

and it came with a nice hard case! wooot (not SKB but can't complain)

The match is sooo nice I can't wait to finish the install. He took it apart to ship it safely.

User Info Menu

So I took my Absolute apart to swap all my heads so my two main kicks still match.

It's amazing (I forgot to take photos) but the absolute vs the custom is a big difference thickness wise. Those couple of ply's make a big difference!

Unfortunately I need to redo my entire rack setup on the left to fit the 3rd kick.
    So I have only put the two maple YMC kicks on and will be working on fitting the 3rd kick shortly.

User Info Menu

I absolutely love that kit! I always look forward to your posts to see what new stuff you add to all your various kits.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Nice!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice score Spaz!

I was also able to recently add a 22x16 MC to my kit. I also scored a 16x16 floor and a 14x12 hanging tom. I didn't know they made 22x18 MC's. Why do these drums have to be so difficult to find and expensive? I'm curious what you paid for that bass drum, my additions did not come cheap.

The original MC's are definitely heavier than the Absolutes, thicker shells and the gold hardware is heavier. Owing the whole Japanese maple family, the MC's, MCA's, and MCAN's I must say that the lightest of the bunch is my favorite sounding, the MCAN's. The MC's look the best with this finish though and do still sound amazing.

User Info Menu

[/URL]
    I always wondered how you could afford all your drums. Now I understand....I see all those shrink wrapped "bales" sitting on the rug.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Absolutely amazing kit. Would love to have a chance to hear them in person.
    If you ever need something picked up in N'ern CA, I'm happy to help you get items they won't ship.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Nice score Spaz!

I was also able to recently add a 22x16 MC to my kit. I also scored a 16x16 floor and a 14x12 hanging tom. I didn't know they made 22x18 MC's. Why do these drums have to be so difficult to find and expensive? I'm curious what you paid for that bass drum, my additions did not come cheap.

The original MC's are definitely heavier than the Absolutes, thicker shells and the gold hardware is heavier. Owing the whole Japanese maple family, the MC's, MCA's, and MCAN's I must say that the lightest of the bunch is my favorite sounding, the MCAN's. The MC's look the best with this finish though and do still sound amazing.
    Did you recently get those off EBAY?!!?
    I wanted that rare 16x16 soooo bad!!!
    And recently I saw a 13" for sale but I had no money left after buying this bass drum.

You didn't snatch that up either did you?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I always wondered how you could afford all your drums. Now I understand....I see all those shrink wrapped "bales" sitting on the rug.
    hahaha i was waiting for someone to comment on those...
    Bags of birdseed! I swear! hahaha

User Info Menu

Your house would be easy to spot. Just look for the one with a yard full of birds....sitting around, doing nothing and eating Cheetos.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Did you recently get those off EBAY?!!?
    I wanted that rare 16x16 soooo bad!!!
    And recently I saw a 13" for sale but I had no money left after buying this bass drum.

You didn't snatch that up either did you?!
    Yeah, they were the ones on eBay. He wanted too much for them on EBay and they sat for a few weeks. I was in St. Louis for work and made a cash deal for them locally. I really just wanted the 22x16 kick and 16x16 floor but I ended up also getting a 14x12 hanging tom and a 14x4 Absolute snare in the same finish all as a package deal. The only way I could get the price I wanted for the kick and floor was to buy everything with intentions of selling the 14" tom and snare.

Haha, I almost grabbed that 13" tom this morning but I decided against it. I already now have this extra 14" hanging tom so I actually did something responsible and passed on the 13".

User Info Menu

^omg I hate love you right now!!!

I kept begging Cailyn to let me get that 16x16 haha

One of these days you'll have to let me make the trip over and meet up!
    Check out that beautiful kit of yours!

Yeah blows my mind that toms for our kit are selling for more than most people pay for their entire drumsets now.
    Students parents complain to me about $300 drum sets and theres a floor tom for sale for $1200 right now. Crazy
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 01-16-2017 at 07:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's classic supply and demand and in this case there's a very limited supply. It's pretty crazy that a 5pc Stage Custom shell pack is only $650 brand new and one used MC floor tom is literally double that. I got the two sizes I was looking for so hopefully I won't be buying any other MC's for awhile, but I'm sure you know how that goes, haha.