Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Exclamation Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well good news i got my first gig solo which is really scary but it`s not playing my set it`s playing a duff drum at a muslim wedding i`ve never even played a hand drum in my life help bongobro i know that you now a lot about this stuff so anything i`m supposed to be getting the music soon but they said i could stray from it i probly won`t did i mention it was a paying job but help cus i don`t want to be payed for screwing up also she said name your price i really don`t knew what to ask for and how long it is
    Last edited by MrMojoRisin; 08-24-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Congraulations, you will do fine. Lisen and let it comes naturally.You already now how to keep the time. Try not to rush and don't overplay. You are there to enhance the other musicians. Look through the music they give you and get an idea of the pace,accents and times of the music and if your lucky you will be familiar with some of the songs.Or at least heard them before. As far as payment if you had fun and would like to continue playing with them try to find out what the other are making and figure in how much of value and what you contribute. Do you play on every song for example. Personally when I started playing with bands I've always been very humble when it came to my pay. I've always had trouble in my confidence on my ability when playing something new. I always felt that I could have played better. Usually to find out that I played just fine. You may be more comfortable with taking what they feel is fare and take it from there. Negotiate at a later time. For now ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE and there is nothing to be nervous or scared about. Be lucky that your not playing at a country western bar playing behind chicken wire to protect you from flying objects like bottles because the crowd doesn't like the song. That's just great Mojo really great. Things are looking up. Choose to make it a great day. You deserve it. By the way my first gig was playing bongos at folk masses at my church. That's were I first met my wife in the 60's. Followed her home from church that day. See ya.
    Last edited by Timer; 08-25-2006 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timer
    Be lucky that your not playing at a country western bar playing behind chicken wire to protect you from flying objects like bottles because the crowd doesn't like the song.
    For the record: I've played literally hundreds if not thousands of country bars, vfw clubs, moose lodges, and every other hole in the wall you can think of through the years. Never in all these years have I played behind chicken wire. It always makes for a great scene in a movie but you'll rarely see it, if ever. BTW, they don't throw things either. Well, I take that back. LOL They'll sometimes throw things but it's not because the band is awful (as they sometimes are). It's because there's an drunk ******* in the crowd that's just out to make trouble.

Now, having said that , I did play a gig last year (with a very good and popular local band I might add) where the crowd hated us. It was a corporate Christmas party at an upscale restaurant on the top floor of a skyscraper downtown. A few of the people expected to hear current dance stuff right off the radio. Well, my band happens to play some of the older R&B. Remember, we have some of the best musicians and the best singer in town! These guys are seasoned and they're good! But the crowd had made their mind up that they hated us and there was nothing we could do. They would walk by us and give us dirty looks and the entertainment cooridinator practically got in a shouting match with the band leader. SOME PEOPLE!
    Last edited by drummer; 08-25-2006 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

About pay...

I would offer to do it for like $50 or so. Any more wouldn't be in line with your lack of experience. Any less would be insulting because your time is in fact valuable and it is a wedding. People expect to pay more for wedding entertainment.

User Info Menu

I think drummer is right on target for pay.

The best advice I can give as a hand drummer myself is to take your drum out into public and play before you play the gig. Go to a park, street corner, anywhere where people will hear you and not have a problem with the noise. I sometimes grab my djembe and goto the waterfront downtown and play on a weekend. Quite often, other drummers will show up and we end up having a big jam session all day with hundreds of people checking us out. It is a great confidence booster and they other players can give you some great ideas and tips.

Congrats on your gig and best of luck!!!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Just a little humor Drummer that's all. $50 bucks is good. I didn't see wedding. My Bad. Sorry Mojo.

User Info Menu

yeah i just found out that the wedding is in december so i`ll have all the time i`ll need to learn how to play
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Cool Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, mojo! Congrats on getting a hand-drumming gig!

I don't know if "duff drum" is another name for a djembe, or if it is a specific drum that I haven't seen or played, but don't sweat the hand drumming. You already have most of what you need to know already. The big difference is that instead of sticks, you're using your hands. (That's why learning the rudiments is useful no matter what you play.)

If you're getting a tape or CD of the music, play along with it. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will get with it--and it'll give you a chance not only to sharpen your chops, but also to learn where to "stray from it" and make you sound like a pro. Keep in mind that Middle Eastern rhythms can easily be transferred to European and Latin music (and vice versa!).

Finally, 1DrumBum's suggestion about taking your drum out to a park or other public area is excellent! In the St. Louis area, for example, there are several drum circles that welcome new drummers (and you can learn from playing with live drummers, too). Even if you don't have a drum circle, you'll be amazed at the response you can get.

$50 sounds about right for a first gig--and it could be only the beginning.

GO, MOJO!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Wink Nilan

I have a problem of playing one particular beat. When I start practicing it goes smooth and then it goes confuse after. This i practice many times but still I’m uncomfortable with it. Whether I can send you the clip then u will get an idea. please help me on this

Thank You

Nilan

User Info Menu

Nilan, sometimes it just takes practicing it a lot more. Some beats are easy to pick up in a day and others take a long time to get consistently smooth. Just keep practicing.

User Info Menu

thats great man, i dont know much about hand drumming but ive listened to alot of middle eastern music and cuz my family is from palistein, just try keepin a smooth beat its probably a bit complicated but listen to some ethnic style music from the middle east and im sure yull pick it up, good luck

User Info Menu

oh well i`m a girl
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Cool Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Metal-head...one pattern I have noticed in Middle Eastern music--and something I've picked up through trial and error--is drumming the fingers (kinda like you're drummin' on a table top when you're impatient) on one side of the drum while playin' a steady beat with the other hand or the thumb on the other side. I have a small wooden doumbek that I picked up after watching a drummer play that rhythm during a belly-dance demonstration, and I've also played it on bongos and congas.

Mojo, it's hard to explain in print, but try that on your hand drums...sounds cool when you've got it worked up...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Be lucky that your not playing at a country western bar playing behind chicken wire to protect you from flying objects like bottles because the crowd doesn't like the song.
    Lol. "We like both kinds of music. Country and Western"

User Info Menu

Red face

Congraulations, you will do fine. Lisen and let it comes naturally.You already now how to keep the time. Try not to rush and don't overplay. You are there to enhance the other musicians. Look through the music they give you and get an idea of the pace,accents and times of the music and if your lucky you will be familiar with some of the songs.Or at least heard them before. As far as payment if you had fun and would like to continue playing with them try to find out what the other are making and figure in how much of value and what you contribute. Do you play on every song for example. Personally when I started playing with bands I've always been very humble when it came to my pay. I've always had trouble in my confidence on my ability when playing something new. I always felt that I could have played better. Usually to find out that I played just fine. You may be more comfortable with taking what they feel is fare and take it from there. Negotiate at a later time. For now ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE and there is nothing to be nervous or scared about. Be lucky that your not playing at a country western bar playing behind chicken wire to protect you from flying objects like bottles because the crowd doesn't like the song. That's just great Mojo really great. Things are looking up. Choose to make it a great day. You deserve it. By the way my first gig was playing bongos at folk masses at my church. That's were I first met my wife in the 60's. Followed her home from church that day. See ya.

wow same!!!! represent the bongos in church!! except i was playing for a choir then we got selected to play in auckland in front of over 1000 people lol....
    Dead bodies don't usually die like this...

User Info Menu

Default Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, knicole! I play bongos and congas for the guitar group at my church as well...in fact, if I am correct, most of us seem to do our best drumming in church!

It's an awesome feeling to play for 1,000 people in that setting!

(Just imagine if all the members of DrumChat got together for one massive drum circle!!!)

Charlie

User Info Menu

Count me in!!! Let me know when and where and I'll be there with djembe in hand!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

id be the youngest 1 there.. lol
    but that would be SOOOO cool
    WE WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
    and then we would get to meet every1 and i'd get a chance to kill pinkfloyd... he knows what im talking about

i will never get over that.......
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

oopppps....you better check the "did i miss anything" ....phew i`m glad i`m in the UK

User Info Menu

oh I saw it... check my reply.

And Im glad i know how to get on an airplane and go to the UK.

But for the money.... hmmm....
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

oooooooh I hate you.............
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The wonderful Leslie!!
    oooooooh I hate you............
    \

sorry i dont really hate you.. lol but you have to admit. . . that was wrong . . .
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Never had a solo.........Damn......... Con't help ya, it's probably too late anyways .

User Info Menu

no it`s not too late but then i didn`t know i would be joining my school band so i`m getting a decent amount of experince
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.