Thread: Playing out and Trying out

User Info Menu

Default Playing out and Trying out

HI, i think i'm at a point in my playing where i can play out - but not too sure.

for example, i can play alot of songs - play to songs, and record myself playing (i play guitar at intermediate level) and it sounds ok.

Its just on some of the faster stuff (high bpm one hand hh stuff) that i get nervous about - that maybe the endurance isn't there to keep tight tempo and sound.

also i feel insecure on shuffles (like zz top, some sublime songs (like santeria), and like the song amber).

while i can do it - doing it live and with a band is different because you can't **** up.

so should i wait and practice hard for another 6 monthsto buid up more speed and endurance and technique, or should i just go out and start trying out and let them say no - and maybe playing out will make me better.

what are your experiences ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing out and Trying out

My personal opinion here...

Don't be in a rush to gig or "play out". However, be in a heckuva rush to play with other musicians from time to time. Songs, beats, tempos, etc that you are good at will feel way different when you play them live with other musicians vs. playing along to a studio recording.

Tex

User Info Menu

What you need to do is find other musicians near you to jam with . At your house or theirs . It doesn't have to be a whole band even . Just a bass player or guitar player to start . Playing with one other person makes such a difference and gives you a whole other perspective on your playing . Meeting other musicians is so important . If you are really serious about your wanting to play out you will find a way to make this happen . When I was a kid there were other guys my age that played guitar and bass . Our mothers wouldn't let us play together in the house so we would haul our stuff out to the back alley and jam ! Set up right on the dirt .
    If you're old enough find one of those open mic Blues jams that are often held early on a weeknight at one of the Blues bars . They let anyone play , and you don't have to bring your drums . Just tell them it's your first time and they'll give you an easy song . You'll break your cherry and get to play on stage with other musicians !
    It's not like you're trying to join a band , you're just getting out and playing with other musicians . Your learn where your weakness are and you can work on them . Plus you've got your name out and others can hear you play and eventually someone will ask you to play real gig .
    I hope this helped . Good luck to you and keep us informed on how things are going .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    What you need to do is find other musicians near you to jam with . At your house or theirs . It doesn't have to be a whole band even . Just a bass player or guitar player to start . Playing with one other person makes such a difference and gives you a whole other perspective on your playing . Meeting other musicians is so important . If you are really serious about your wanting to play out you will find a way to make this happen . When I was a kid there were other guys my age that played guitar and bass . Our mothers wouldn't let us play together in the house so we would haul our stuff out to the back alley and jam ! Set up right on the dirt .
    If you're old enough find one of those open mic Blues jams that are often held early on a weeknight at one of the Blues bars . They let anyone play , and you don't have to bring your drums . Just tell them it's your first time and they'll give you an easy song . You'll break your cherry and get to play on stage with other musicians !
    It's not like you're trying to join a band , you're just getting out and playing with other musicians . Your learn where your weakness are and you can work on them . Plus you've got your name out and others can hear you play and eventually someone will ask you to play real gig .
    I hope this helped . Good luck to you and keep us informed on how things are going .
    Rudy .
    bout says it all

all the best...

User Info Menu

I had this same issue about 6 months ago. I decided that although I didn't fell ready, I needed to take the plunge (hint: you'll never feel ready).

It is important to be honest with others about your skill level, but without underselling yourself. That is, be honest about your skill level, but be confident about it.

I placed a Craigslist ad explaining that I had no experience playing with others, but was an eager learner that is always getting better, and that I practice everyday. I ended up jamming with a few different lose groups (that weren't totally formed bands, but were trying putting one together). Eventually I ended up in a Beatles tribute band with guys that are way beyond me skill-wise (40 years experience playing to my 3 years). They are patient with me because of my enthusiasm and willingness to take feedback. And in this case, they were also sold by my willingness to learn Ringo's parts just as he played them.

In short, put yourself out there. The first few people you play with may not work out, but the experience will be worth it. Don't try and find the perfect scenario right away, just be open to what comes and try your best. With a positive attitude, the worst that will happen is you learn something for the next group of people you find.

User Info Menu

It's a whole different experience jamming with other musicians. You should do it.

User Info Menu

I agree with those here that say that you should be in no rush to audition and to be in a band. I will say that playing along by yourself to tracks will NEVER (did I say NEVER) prepare you for playing with other musicians. Get together with others to just "jam". Go to open mic nights. Get used to playing with other humans. Do that for a while, then proceed to auditions and playing in a band.

User Info Menu

I would say go for auditions if they meet 2 criteria:

1. You like the music and feel you can play it reasonably well (e.g. I can't play double bass pedal, so no way I would bother trying out for a band that wanted it).

2. Usually in the ads, they will describe the level of player they are looking for/they have themselves. Most of the time, they are reasonable (I did once see a band looking for someone "like Neil Peart", but most people aren't that stupid). They will probably use phrases "for fun" and similar, and you might have a chance with these ones...

User Info Menu

Do you live in an area that has clubs that host "Jam Sessions"? If so, go check em out - start off with just listening to the other players - get a feel for the styles or types of music they are playing - and notice that even on songs you know by heart, how "different" they sound when played live by "not studio musicians".
    If I had to relay any one piece of advice to a just beginning to play out musician its this: Learn to "Listen" - to what the "Other" musicians are playing and make what "You" are playing "Fit" what they are playing - And how loud they are playing. A lot of beginners play way too Loud for the volume of the rest of the band. --- get some ear bud type ear protection - I repeat "Get some Ear Protection" - and wear em when you are playing, if the volume is even moderately high. Deaf drummers do not work much~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

As long as you're up front with the band you're auditioning for, GO FOR IT! The best way to learn is in the water. Sink or swim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    What you need to do is find other musicians near you to jam with . At your house or theirs . It doesn't have to be a whole band even . Just a bass player or guitar player to start.
    Rudy .
    Great advice right here! I started jamming with my best friend who happened to be a guitar player at my parent's garage back in the '80s and it prepared me to be able to communicate musically by learning and following his dynamic playing.

User Info Menu

Joining a band is seriously something you don't want to rush into. All though it could push you to become a better musician faster, it won't come easy. Trust me, been there, done that! Like everyone else already stated fine some like minded folks and just have some jam sessions it will teach you a lot.

User Info Menu

I've been in a band since I started playing and I started gigging after only a couple years. Older, more seasoned musicians used to call me a "quick study" and some success came quickly. The reality is that I was an energetic, charismatic, one trick pony and whatever success I thought I had faded relatively quickly. The flip side is that I delved into a world of hardcore practice with a focus on being technical. It worked, but somewhere in there I lost the glow that I had when I was a few yeats younger. What I ultimately realized was that charisma is the trump card but I was well served by my workout-like regimen of practice. In the end this combination and the experience that came with it made me into a versatile and confident player and performer. So I say go and play! Enjoy your successes and even your inevitable failures and learn from them both. The path to success is not paved with gold. Good luck to you on your travels.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

A lot of good answers PimpJuice...

Be up front with the other musicians whether it be in a jam session, trying out for a group, or with friends getting together for the first time about your experience, and they should play something rather basic to see if you can handle the pocket, improvise within it, because playing on top of CD's is quite a bit different than playing within the song and being part of it.

That first time out for real, be real, don't overplay, stay in the pocket and let the music come to you, don't go find it. No substitute for live playing to learn how to not panic when equipment goes screwy, knowing how to listen with not only your ears but eyes too, and stuff like that.

Looking back at my first audition I'm sure the guys in the band had a good laugh after I left as I stunk the joint up.

Gotta start somewhere, sometime...you'll know when.

User Info Menu

Thinking back about the question being asked brings back so many memories. My timeline was something like this, air drumming to records in my room to, piecing together drums and playing along to records and radio in my room to, buying my first shell pack and jamming with my friend from high school (guitar player) to, deciding I was ready to try out with bands.

I think you'll know when you're ready to take the next step.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN