Thread: Gibraltars Hydraulic Drum Throne Upgrade

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltars Hydraulic Drum Throne Upgrade

Over the past few years, Gibraltar has had some issues with their hydraulic thrones "failing" long before their 5 year warranty expires and they have replaced a ton of these thrones - - Now, Moving Forward -
    DW now owns Gibraltar - My last Gibraltar hydraulic throne has been replaced twice since July 2015 and just last week they sent me a new Hydraulic cylinder as a warranty replacement for the second failed throne - then day before yesterday FedEx delivered a box from Gibraltar - it was their new "Pneumatic Cylinder" replacement for their previous Hydraulic drum thrones...and when I contacted DW's customer service rep, he explained that DW has been using an "Airlift" type drum throne and now the previously hydraulic Gibraltar thrones will be upgraded to the "Pneumatic" type using the DW Pneumatic cylinders, which DW says hasnt had any failures to date.

I think this says a lot for Gibraltars gear - DW is standing behind Gibraltar warranties.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltars Hydraulic Drum Throne Upgrade

Cool move by DW.
    But this story helps to explain my refusal to use a drum stool (Throne? Thrones are for queens) that doesn't have a bolt through the vertical shaft holding the whole thing in place.
    But my development stopped in about 1975, so maybe I should get with the times.

User Info Menu

I have 2 Gibraltar sc-gca. The first one was around $45 before DW bought them. It was perfect. Every bolt was greased and the teeth were solid. I bought another one after DW bought them. $58 and none of the bolts were greased. It constantly comes loose and I need to crank it down. I'm only holding a splash.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I think I have one of the first ones. I bought it back in the very early 90's. Four legs, still works great the only problem I have with it is the lower brace that slides up and down that holds the leg brackets is made of cheap pot metal and it cracked in 2 places and now it won't tighten or slide up to fold legs. I have it held together with heavy duty tie wraps. I don't gig with it anymore, I use it w/my elec. set.

User Info Menu

yeah the DW airlift is an awesome throne. Super comfortable and very durable!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this Warren. It's good to know you've been taken care of....

User Info Menu

I've had an 9908 throne and replaced it with a Ahead Spinal Glide. Way better.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals