Thread: From a bass player's perspective. . .

User Info Menu

Default From a bass player's perspective. . .

I've been drumming 35 yrs or so. In the last couple years or so, mainly in church, I've been playing bass.

It gives you a totally different perspective on drumming to play bass with a drummer. I have learned that a song's 'groove' can be held by the drummer alone, the bass player alone, or a combination of both. The drummer I play with holds the beat steady, but does not groove. The song can still groove if the bass player grooves it over the steady beat. I have played drums with bass players who don't groove, and then it is the drummer's job to groove it. The bass player and the drummer locking in together on a groove is most ideal, and makes the job easier and more fun for both players. So, I'm saying, drummer: LISTEN to what the bass player is playing! Find that groove. If you don't necessarily like the groove they are laying down, at least play AROUND it!

Also, I've learned that the drummer has most of the control over dynamics of a song the push and pull of volume and energy. Mix the energy/ volume up to give the song texture. it does no good for the band to pull back if you are playing full open hi-hats and rim shots. Listen to what everyone else is playing and pay attention to volume.

Anyway, if you can pick up another instrument (especially bass) and play with another drummer, you will gain a whole new perspective on what you like about what the drummer is doing and don't like. What you don't like will probably be what you don't like in your own drumming as well.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Default Re: From a bass player's perspective. . .

Very true. I don't play a whole lot of bass but I know that as a rhythm guitarist/vocalist just how important drums are to the big picture. Sometimes I'm listening to the drums and thinking...why on earth does he do it that way? Also, sometimes I'm listening and thinking...Cool, Why didn't I think of that?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Drums and bass have to have a symbiotic relationship or it won't work, or won't work well.

I've worked with a few bass players, but only with 2 did I have that kind of relationship.

User Info Menu

It's not that easy finding a bass player that I like. Lots of people play bass, but I want somebody that reinforces music phrases, not just plays root and 5th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    It's not that easy finding a bass player that I like. Lots of people play bass, but I want somebody that reinforces music phrases, not just plays root and 5th.
    Right on! I currently play with two bass players. One guy just hangs on root and the 5th and has issues finding the "1". When I hear the playback, I cringe when he's not back on the "1". Second guy grooves and we're tight together but he's also plays drums, guitar, keys etc etc etc.....

User Info Menu

Even if you hit just the root and the fifth, you can still lock into that kick drum and groove it. Some of the best bass lines aren't necessarily busy. But once again, drummers, LISTEN to what's going on around you, especially the bass player.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I've gigged on bass, guitar, and drums. They all offer a slightly different perspective of what's going on in a song. However, in all instances you have to listen to the people you're playing with. If you're not listening, you're never going to be able to "feel" it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    One guy just hangs on root and the 5th and has issues finding the "1". When I hear the playback, I cringe when he's not back on the "1".
    I agree. For lots of songs I think it is important for the bass to hit the 1 note at beat 1 of each measure. Some bass players do not seem to know that.

Bass may seem simple but it's not. Another thing some bass players don't seem to know is the effect of leading or lagging the beat. Bass leading the beat can create a feeling of energy, really driving the band. Bass lagging the beat can make things sound funky. Bass right on the beat can make the band sound tight, like in James Brown songs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I agree. For lots of songs I think it is important for the bass to hit the 1 note at beat 1 of each measure. Some bass players do not seem to know that.

Bass may seem simple but it's not. Another thing some bass players don't seem to know is the effect of leading or lagging the beat. Bass leading the beat can create a feeling of energy, really driving the band. Bass lagging the beat can make things sound funky. Bass right on the beat can make the band sound tight, like in James Brown songs.
    good analysis

all the best...