Thread: wind is not good when playing outside!

User Info Menu

Default wind is not good when playing outside!

Hi, today we played at an outdoor gig, we were the last on and had an hours set.
    sounds great!
    but it was a bit windy and I was wrapped up in the backdrop more than once.

The worst when I was doing my solo, and it wrapped right around me and I lost a stick, but it was funny

anyone else been sabotaged on stage?
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Default Re: wind is not good when playing outside!

Oh my. That will be a great memory for sure.

User Info Menu

I had the same happen to me last year. We were playing under a big tent and the tent flap kept blowing into my set.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not yet... But I was at Disneyland watching the band at tomorrow land, and the drummer got to agro and knocked the China cymbal and stand into the keyboard player. Not good. The keyboard player was

User Info Menu

I've had my cymbal stands keep blowing over but never have I been flag whipped ... that looks like it could be painful. Great job keeping your cool and staying the course through all of that ...

User Info Menu

Was playing a NASCAR event in Watkins Glen one year, we were under a large party tent type deal held up with poles, ropes and sandbags A big gust of wind came and took out the from right corner of the pole, the section of tent came down on our guitarist. Fwup.

It was pretty funny actually.

Last year I did a gig in Casa Grand, AZ...about 5 bands that afternoon. It was incredibly windy. The sound company had a small canopy tent covering the board and their stuff. A gust of wind came and lifted it completely up in the air and it tumbled half way across the field.

It's hard to drum and sing when it's very windy, you're laughing and watching the sound mans tent bounce around the audience while the people are hiding for cover.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

My band played out on a gusty day making my cymbals wave so much I had to aim my cymbal hits or swipe at thin air!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Man that looks hilarious, Love that Mapex set, it looks so darn nice in flat black.

User Info Menu

Love it!

User Info Menu

Funny. I was just thinking about the little shop of horrors show. Instead of plants, you were being consumed by a curtain. LOL

Wind is certainly a force to be reckoned with. At last years Regatta show my ride kept threatening to blow right over. I grabbed some hunks of concrete from a nearby construction zone to put at the base of the cymbal stand to try a stabilize it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Great story. Great picture. Great memory to tell down the road.
    Love your kit. Classic flat black with the perfect compliment of cymbals.
    Way to keep playing and roll with it, btw. Very professional.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

hahaha that's funny lol

User Info Menu

Oh wow, that's not good! Knowing me, as soon as the song ended, I'd have been up tearing that backdrop down.

It'll make for a good memory and story!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Oh wow, that's not good! Knowing me, as soon as the song ended, I'd have been up tearing that backdrop down.

Yeah, that sounds like me, too.

On another note: your kit looks awesome!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Oh man...that looked like a really windy day. Way to keep your cool. I played an outdoor gig where the wind kept blowing my cymbals around on the stands. Fearing the worst was about to happen, after the 1st set, I grabbed a Gibraltar V-bar I had stashed in my trunk and bolted my cymbal stands down but it didn't help from keeping the cymbals from flapping in the wind. Like Slinglander, I went to hit a crash and ended up swiping nothing but air. As goofy as this looked, the V-bar kept my stands from falling over in the wind.

Last edited by late8; 03-28-2016 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Apparently it was the beginning of storm Katie, (we missed the worst of it here!)
    @gotadrumr and johnnyG thanks, I like it too, no fingerprints!
    And @kay-gee I have had bricks on an old stand, it used to tip over
    I had them on a bungee .
    Bridie