Thread: Different heads on a 20" vs 22" BD?

User Info Menu

Default Different heads on a 20" vs 22" BD?

I'm a life-long 22" bass drum player but I just picked up a 20" to try it out. I know what heads I like on a 22, but my question is this - For those who have played both 20" and 22", do you put different heads on the 20 than what you have on the 22?

Do you find that the heads you have come to like on a BD are the heads you like regardless of drum size, or do you find that different heads bring out the best of each size?
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Different heads on a 20" vs 22" BD?

From a stand point of pure physics, I cannot see that there would be any difference. If you've come to like a certain head on one size, there's no reason that I can see, that it wouldn't sound the same on another size.

If it were me, I would try other heads just to find alternative sounds. I just don't understand the business of having many drum sets that all sound the same.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I guess if you applied the the same principles of mounted Tom sizes, then the smaller bass would have less resonance and the head would have less inertia and sustain. It should have less of a need for "control" devices such as EMAD, felt strips, etc.. I can tell the difference in resonance between my 10" & 12" toms, but the difference between 20" and 22" is minimal relative to the size. Most like their bass to be dry and thumpy anyway. You'll definitely notice a difference in "feel" and in the price of heads.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have played 18, 20, and 22 inch bass drums. I tried so many different drum heads I couldn't even begin to count. All brands and series have been given a fair shot over 39 years of playing.
    I have finally stopped mucking around and stick with Aquarian SKI batter head and an Aquarian Regulator reso head all the time. Sounds great at all dynamics to me on both my current kick drums.
    Btw, I use Remo Emps over Ambs on my toms after similar experimentation.
    Snare heads are a whole other thing. I have not found one head that works on all my snares.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!