Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fans -- the cooling type

User Info Menu

Default Fans -- the cooling type

My fan is toast !

That's OK -- it was too big and too ugly.
    But it sure did the trick on keeping a nice breeze going.

So now I'm looking for a smaller black fan that can do the job as good as my old ugly fan (which was about two feet in diameter).

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fans -- the cooling type

Someone should market a "band fan"; take an old, small guitar amp cabinet (like a 10" or 12") and install a fan in place of the speaker. You could install a mesh grill over it to protect the blades and install the controls in the face where the amp controls usually are. Just leave the back open for air flow. You could even install a post mount pocket (like a PA speaker) do it could be mounted on a speaker stand. It would be stable, could be placed anywhere and would look like just another piece of band equipment.

I hereby declare this idea to be proprietary and claim all proceeds!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My wife bought me a small roughly 6" metal caged fan several years ago that sits on its own single metal tube that can swivel up and down. It can also sit on the floor or could be hung or clamped with a bracket to a rack or cymbal stand. It is small and powerful.

They have them at Walmart under metal fans. It's listed as a "personal fan" that is similar to what I have.
    Last edited by Bish; 03-28-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Someone should market a "band fan"; take an old, small guitar amp cabinet (like a 10" or 12") and install a fan in place of the speaker. You could install a mesh grill over it to protect the blades and install the controls in the face where the amp controls usually are. Just leave the back open for air flow. You could even install a post mount pocket (like a PA speaker) do it could be mounted on a speaker stand. It would be stable, could be placed anywhere and would look like just another piece of band equipment.

Back in the late 80's when I was living in Denver I had a gig with a "Hair" band . I was only in it for a short while . The lead singer , guitar and bass player had stage monitor boxes with those 12 inch Honeywell High Velocity fans built in . The audience saw monitors . The guys would stand over these things and their hair would fly and their shirts would blow open and the chicks would scream !! There were two actual monitors up front and three "fan" monitors . They also had a small spot light built in that the sound guy would activate on certain songs , with the fog it was a great effect . But of course the fans would be off for that . And when the song was over the fans would come on and clear the fog smoke off the stage .
    Ah...show business .
    Rudy

User Info Menu

$70.00

Last edited by late8; 03-28-2016 at 12:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by n2bluz View Post
    someone should market a "band fan"; take an old, small guitar amp cabinet (like a 10" or 12") and install a fan in place of the speaker. You could install a mesh grill over it to protect the blades and install the controls in the face where the amp controls usually are. Just leave the back open for air flow. You could even install a post mount pocket (like a pa speaker) do it could be mounted on a speaker stand. It would be stable, could be placed anywhere and would look like just another piece of band equipment.

genius!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Back in the late 80's when I was living in Denver I had a gig with a "Hair" band . I was only in it for a short while . The lead singer , guitar and bass player had stage monitor boxes with those 12 inch Honeywell High Velocity fans built in . The audience saw monitors . The guys would stand over these things and their hair would fly and their shirts would blow open and the chicks would scream !! There were two actual monitors up front and three "fan" monitors . They also had a small spot light built in that the sound guy would activate on certain songs , with the fog it was a great effect . But of course the fans would be off for that . And when the song was over the fans would come on and clear the fog smoke off the stage .
    Ah...show business .
    Rudy
    Well, guess I'm a day late and a dollar short again.

My band could never have a set up like you described. We're too old and fat. We have no hair left to blow back...except on our stomachs and in our ears. It would certainly make the chicks scream....in horror as they head for the exit.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought an air mover from Home Depot last year for $50.00, it moves around 5000 cfm it works great. I don't take it on shows, but another drummer I know uses one of those small carpet dryers with a swivel head they're around the same price & awesome for live performances. I looked into that Blowit fan that was sweet!
    Last edited by GoyaDrumr!; 03-28-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

Great! another piece of crap to lug around!

but no doubt...it would probably sell.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would think a fan could be picked up at any house ware or hardware store. We have them all over the cottage to move the air around. My only criteria would be that some are way noisier than others.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Great! another piece of crap to lug around!

but no doubt...it would probably sell.

all the best...

Yep. Although, you could mold the cabinet out of plastic so it could be light weight. A drummer friend of mine uses a squirrel cage blower that he salvaged out of an old furnace. Now THAT is a trifecta; ugly, awkward to carry and heavy.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I use one of these. It's small enough to fit in my hardware bag, but powerful enough to move the air. I set it on the floor near my hi hat pedal, and tilt it up towards me. Only $14 on Ama zon.

I also got one of these, from the same site, that I clamp on to a cymbal stand near my floor tom, to get air moving from the other direction as well. Of the two, the black Honeywell works much better.

Last edited by Powertrip240; 03-30-2016 at 08:34 AM.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I use one of these. It's small enough to fit in my hardware bag, but powerful enough to move the air. I set it on the floor near my hi hat pedal, and tilt it up towards me. Only $14 on Ama zon.

I use this one too and have it at the same spot. Works great and comes with standard high, med and low fan settings and looks pretty discrete on stage.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I think this black fan with adjustable speeds is close to what I am looking for.
    It will go unnoticed in the dark places I play.
    I like to keep the fan blowing from an angle slightly behind me so I don't get sawdust in my eyes like Spaz did.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I like to keep the fan blowing from an angle slightly behind me so I don't get sawdust in my eyes like Spaz did.
    That's makes a lot of sense Ricky. I sing back up harmony sometimes and found that if I had the fan blowing behind me, we could hear it blowing into the mic if it was angled up towards my head. To prevent this, I try to keep the air flow blowing from the back of the mic.

Last edited by late8; 03-30-2016 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    That's makes a lot of sense Ricky. I sing back up harmony sometimes and found that if I had the fan blowing behind me, we could here it blowing into the mic if it was angled up towards my head. To prevent this, I try to keep the air flow blowing from the back of the mic.
    Got it............you may have no other choice.

And one more question..................

In that photo with the red Pearl kit................what are the components of that bass rig sitting stage right ?
    That thing looks like it can honk !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Haha...I have no clue.

User Info Menu

Yeah what bish said...if ya look at my fb pics ...my "lil blaster" just like his ,,,hangs off of my hi hat ,,,can be angled towards my face & is very quiet...a neccessity in arizona as we approach those "...if hell had a sister phoenix would be her name ..." 110 degrees plus ++++++....then ai have an "airplane fan " (approximately 22" in diameter that can be brought along if i ever gotta play outside (like 'white cane festival" benefits sightless lil kids in black canyon az ,,,temp will be 100 degrees during our show 1-2pm....i used to have a fan that included a "mister" ..but stopped using it because of my vocal headset mic & vocal mics in general...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I ordered the 15" turbo version of this fan.
    Should be delivered today.
    Will break it in this Saturday night at a bar gig.
    Thanks to everyone for advice and options.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    My wife bought me a small roughly 6" metal caged fan several years ago that sits on its own single metal tube that can swivel up and down. It can also sit on the floor or could be hung or clamped with a bracket to a rack or cymbal stand. It is small and powerful.

They have them at Walmart under metal fans. It's listed as a "personal fan" that is similar to what I have.
    I have the same fan, from Wally World, about $15-16.

Small enough to pack up with my gear, does a good job. Rather quiet. Bought one before heading into one venue in the summer, knowing how hot it would be. I've used it year round, here in the northeast, ever since. Best $15 spent at Wal Mart in a very long time.

User Info Menu

So I get a tracking-email notice that the fan has been delivered to my house.
    I get home from work yesterday and while the packing slip reads "fan" and the receipt reads "fan" the delivery is a new hedge-trimmer..........great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I get home from work yesterday and while the packing slip reads "fan" and the receipt reads "fan" the delivery is a new hedge-trimmer..........great.
    LOL.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

How do you like it? Does it meet expectations?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'd be careful with a hedge trimmer on stage. You don't want to accidentally cut a power cord or guitar cord. Maybe you could incorporate it into your show...kinda like Jackyl did with a chain saw in the Lumberjack song. You could change the words to "the Gardener song"!
    -Brian