Thread: Ahead Spinal Glide Drum Throne Reviewed

User Info Menu

Post Ahead Spinal Glide Drum Throne Reviewed

I've decided to start a little series of reviewing my Gear.
    The Goal of the series is it, to prevent Drummers from buying crap and show them Drum related stuff they maybe haven't considered.

Today I wanna review my Ahead Spinal Glide Drum Throne.

Before I got the Ahead I had a Gibraltar 9908 Throne, I bought it as my first throne back in ending 2013 for 145 euros.

I had it for over 1 year and I hated it, it featured a very hard leather saddle seat and was very uncomfortable to sit on, if you've adjusted it to the desired height (I love to sit low) and you start your daily practice you are sliding on the throne cause it's way to uncomfortable to stay on a position, your a** will hurt etc.

The most worst thing about this throne was the spindle, no matter how tight you had it, you can be sure that you will sit very high after you finished practicing and the seat was moving.

Well, at August of 2015 I wasn't able to tighten the seat, as it was very tight, yeah as tight as possible, I overviewed it and saw the broken spindle.

It was annoying in the moment but actually I was glad to have the chance to buy a good one.

After considering many different thrones by TAMA, PEARL, MAPEX, DW etc I stumbled across an ahead spinal glide throne.

Ahead is based in Canada and is best known for their aluminium drum sticks

I knew it before since I saw Jost Nickel sitting on it (the throne for sure, hahaha)

It features a saddle with a gap in the middle of the seat to support the spine and make a very ergonomic and comfortable sitting possible, it's available as saddle and round seat in black or red-black, I chose the red-black saddle, I've paid 199 euros.

To set it up is very easy, you just need to unbox it and stack the seat on the bottom, adjust the height and tighten it.

The seat is made of foam (I guess) and it's so soft and comfortable like your bed would.

I use it since almost 9 months and it moves a little bit when you sit but as soon as you don't it is tight.

10/10 points to Ahead.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ahead Spinal Glide Drum Throne Reviewed

I had an original "prototype " of roc n soc throne ...(not yet on market ) till last sept,,,my goddaughters dad (against instruction) picked up by seat not base ...broke original leg beyond repair ...had buddy at gc gimme a new 3 leg steel base ,,,but old seat wouldnt fit post...had to special order "new seat " here before my birthday april 18th ,,,finally ,,,in meantime ,,,longterm "borrowed" roc n soc hydraulic from studio ,,,since owner destroyed my dw 5000 bassdrum pedal (on loan),,,i dont leave home without it .....roc n soc !!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

A photographer stool given to me in early 80's by a photographer. Not a bolt or wing nut on it yet is infinitely adjustable height wise.

Also have a Gibraltar saddle type throne with back rest. It gets used as a computer chair. Comfortable but just too bulky and clumsy for moving around. IMO

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    I've decided to start a little series of reviewing my Gear.
    The Goal of the series is it, to prevent Drummers from buying crap and show them Drum related stuff they maybe haven't considered.

Today I wanna review my Ahead Spinal Glide Drum Throne.

Before I got the Ahead I had a Gibraltar 9908 Throne, I bought it as my first throne back in ending 2013 for 145 euros.

I had it for over 1 year and I hated it, it featured a very hard leather saddle seat and was very uncomfortable to sit on, if you've adjusted it to the desired height (I love to sit low) and you start your daily practice you are sliding on the throne cause it's way to uncomfortable to stay on a position, your a** will hurt etc.

The most worst thing about this throne was the spindle, no matter how tight you had it, you can be sure that you will sit very high after you finished practicing and the seat was moving.

Well, at August of 2015 I wasn't able to tighten the seat, as it was very tight, yeah as tight as possible, I overviewed it and saw the broken spindle.

It was annoying in the moment but actually I was glad to have the chance to buy a good one.

After considering many different thrones by TAMA, PEARL, MAPEX, DW etc I stumbled across an ahead spinal glide throne.

Ahead is based in Canada and is best known for their aluminium drum sticks

I knew it before since I saw Jost Nickel sitting on it (the throne for sure, hahaha)

It features a saddle with a gap in the middle of the seat to support the spine and make a very ergonomic and comfortable sitting possible, it's available as saddle and round seat in black or red-black, I chose the red-black saddle, I've paid 199 euros.

To set it up is very easy, you just need to unbox it and stack the seat on the bottom, adjust the height and tighten it.

The seat is made of foam (I guess) and it's so soft and comfortable like your bed would.

I use it since almost 9 months and it moves a little bit when you sit but as soon as you don't it is tight.

10/10 points to Ahead.
    Thanks for the review skills! I'm going to look into this. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Am also currently looking at one of these seats

User Info Menu

Just pushed the button....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Just pushed the button....
    You'll not regret it, I have one and even though I'm a novice drummer I believe I can speak with authority having sat on many, many seats in the last 35 years. ;-)

It's well made and really comfortable, I sat for nearly four hours practicing on it a couple of days ago without a twinge. Conversely I sat for two hours on a cheap pearl starter throne last night and really felt it when I finally stood up in my hips and back.

<p>
    Also the gap between the pads is a great place to store sticks. Just not pointing upwards.
    Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

Thanks to you all!

Last week after finishing my practice I realised that my throne was moving although I'm not sitting on it, but I haven't tighted it since last August.

Now it's still a little bit moving but nothing special.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Maybe in the future when I am in need of a new throne I may look into one of those Ahead Spinal Glide thrones but for now my Roc & Soc Nitro has been good to my butt and back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Maybe in the future when I am in need of a new throne I may look into one of those Ahead Spinal Glide thrones but for now my Roc & Soc Nitro has been good to my butt and back.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Have to say that after using my Spinal G for the past month, It is great. Wonderfully comfortable & solid as a rock. Only downside is the thing weighs a ton.