Thread: Cheap kit any idea what they are?

User Info Menu

Default Cheap kit any idea what they are?

I'm painting out and apartment . The owner of the building showed me this kit that the previous tenant left behind. Said its mine if I knock $75.00 off the paint bill. The kit looks cheap but there is an 18" zildjian a custom projection crash that's worth the $75.00 alone. I think I'm going to take the kit , remove the wrap, finish the shells and toss some decent heads on it for the fun of it.

Any idea what make these may be?

Last edited by NPYYZ; 03-29-2016 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap kit any idea what they are?

No idea but like you said it is well worth the $75 and sounds like a neat lil project
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Hmm. I think it's just a Taiwan off-brand kit from the '80s or '90s. Like "TKO" or something. Looks like 5 lug floor Tom and 4 lug mounted? 4 lug toms are almost impossible to tune. If it had 6 lugs it would be worth the effort as a beater kit or to give to a needy kid. If the cymbal is worth it, I'd keep it, along with the cymbal stands and turn the toms into a clock, lamps, wastebasket, end tables, etc.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm seeing 5 lug toms, and 6 lug bass and snare---but still doable---I would have that kit playing good within the hour! Would make a great beach bar kit---strip them down, do some target practice with some different color paintballs, spray on some clear coat, and play some surf music!

User Info Menu

Not worth the wrap you would be putting on them.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

A steal because of the cymbals. You can remove the black plastic wrap, stain and polyurethane the shells. I first coated the inside of the shells with tung oil on a similar kit. I really liked it too. I ended up selling it as a shell kit and snare for $200 later. The heads alone ran me about that but I had a lot of use out of them. I have a picture of it in my album. The green PDP kit.
    A link to what I've done with them. http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...rap-22639.html
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-29-2016 at 10:29 PM.

User Info Menu

definitely don't recognize other than cheap!! hahaha

User Info Menu

I'm stumped....... but the cymbals and stands are worth it. I would knock the $75 off

User Info Menu

I recognise that wingnut on the bass mount, I think it’s a brand called Tornado, which is probably just a no-name beginner brand. That being said, I used a Tornado stand on a kit at a gig last weekend (with the same wingnuts on it) and it was actually quite a solid stand.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    A steal because of the cymbals. You can remove the black plastic wrap, stain and polyurethane the shells. I first coated the inside of the shells with tung oil on a similar kit. I really liked it too. I ended up selling it as a shell kit and snare for $200 later. The heads alone ran me about that but I had a lot of use out of them. I have a picture of it in my album. The green PDP kit.
    A link to what I've done with them. http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...rap-22639.html
    My Jungle kit is made from a similar el-cheap kit. The wrap should be easy to remove since it's usually held on by tape. I filled the bad spots in the cheap wood with epoxy and painted the shells with Krylon. On the interiors, I used that automotive specked/textured trunk paint. It forms a really hard coating and worked well. Honestly, it sounds as good as any new mid-level kit. I gig with it all the time, for the last year, with no issues. Very fun project that has paid for itself several times over.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Cymbals alone are worth $75.00. Good score.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    I recognise that wingnut on the bass mount, I think it’s a brand called Tornado, which is probably just a no-name beginner brand. That being said, I used a Tornado stand on a kit at a gig last weekend (with the same wingnuts on it) and it was actually quite a solid stand.
    Mapex has an entry level "tornado" kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Mapex has an entry level "tornado" kit.
    Wow. There's actually a Tornado set on the island here. At least the reso head says Tornado. Same color too...black. I've been wondering about them as I've never heard of the brand. The drums themselves are pretty lousy and sound bad but the set appears at a lot of local gigs. A community drum set of sorts.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yeah they appear to be quite low end but I'm going to take them home. I already have new heads so I won't be spending anything on them. Going to remove the wrap, stain the shells and apply a satin poly. That is when I get the time. My painting business is picking up, that time of year.

User Info Menu

I'd do the same thing, I did that to a cheap kit it looks amazing.

User Info Menu

I would recommend doing a water based stain, the colors are more vibrant and lots of color choices. I would also go with a lacquer instead of poly. Poly is soft and will give it a synthetic "plastic" sound. Lacquer will be soft at first as well and sound dull, but gets hard as it cures. A few months later it will sound like a drum should. Make sure the lacquer and stain base are compatible...which you may already know. I used Deft clear lacquer.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I would recommend doing a water based stain, the colors are more vibrant and lots of color choices. I would also go with a lacquer instead of poly. Poly is soft and will give it a synthetic "plastic" sound. Lacquer will be soft at first as well and sound dull, but gets hard as it cures. A few months later it will sound like a drum should. Make sure the lacquer and stain base are compatible...which you may already know. I used Deft clear lacquer.
    I'm actually going to use a Clear coat that we use to finish gymnasium floors (if I can get it in a satin finish). It dries very hard. Also I'm not a fan of water based stains, I've been in the painting business for 34 years and the oil based products are just better in my opinion. I can have any color I want custom mixed.

I'll brush and wipe the stain on , but I'm going to use my HVLP sprayer for the clear coat. I toyed with the idea of doing a fade Red to black paint job , but i just don't have the time, and it's not worth the effort on cheap shells.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 04-01-2016 at 05:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you got it covered. I agree about oil based. When I was looking at stain for my drums, all the oil base stuff was basically wood tones. The only way I could find bright color like yellow, blue, red, etc. was in water based. I suppose the best (if you want a bright color) would be to use dye like the drum builders and manufacturers, but I found the blood red I wanted in a water based stain.

Just a thought, but you may consider new wrap from Bum Wrap like Bish, Rick and others have done. It's quick, easy and a fraction the cost of traditional wrap. Still not as cheap (or fun) as DIY stain, but considering the labor, it's pretty sweet. You could do it in one day, no mess, and they'll look awesome.
    -Brian