Thread: Left hand just doesn't work the same

User Info Menu

Default Left hand just doesn't work the same

I am a total beginner, 2 months now and wonder Is it common for your left hand not to be able play as accurate as with your right? I can play single strokes fairly fast and spot on with my right hand but with my left hand it's awkward, not as fast, almost like my left hand is retarded or something.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Left hand just doesn't work the same

I assume that you're right handed. This is totally normal. You are training your left hand to do things it has never done before.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Very normal. Get the book "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone. Practice the exercises (one example below) as suggested. It will take time, but, you'll get there.

User Info Menu

It takes years to get your weak hand even close to your dominate hand. Don't let it discourage you. Just keep practicing and it will come with time.

User Info Menu

What ^^ drummer said.

inthpktplayer has posted that chart. Go through it thoroughly. Spend hours on them. Find the nuances in your technique (with the chart) and find physical solutions to them. You'll probably find more faults with your technique and playing. Don't be discourage; this means you're getting better at being a drum player.

Oh and BTW; the Single Stroke Roll is the Hardest rudiment to perfect. (if you don't get this bold statement now you hopefully will one day).
    Last edited by EyePea; 03-30-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

That's a relief to know it's not just me. Thank you for the support. I appreciate. It.

User Info Menu

I wish I could do more with my drumming. If I could ever come just a tiny bit remotely close to someone like Steve Smith for example I'd be happy with that.

I just want the ability to sit down and do a good sounding solo some day.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I wish I could do more with my drumming. If I could ever come just a tiny bit remotely close to someone like Steve Smith for example I'd be happy with that.

I just want the ability to sit down and do a good sounding solo some day.
    I think you're doing just fine. Drum solos are way over rated IMHO.

User Info Menu

Stick Control is an excellent book to use. Don't get discouraged if you can't get off the first page. Start slow. Use a metronome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    I am a total beginner, 2 months now and wonder Is it common for your left hand not to be able play as accurate as with your right? I can play single strokes fairly fast and spot on with my right hand but with my left hand it's awkward, not as fast, almost like my left hand is retarded or something.
    For us right-handed people, the left hand is retarded! I've been playing a long, long time, and my left hand is still retarded . The reason is quite simple - we do everything with our right hands, and use our left hand only to support what the right hand is doing - and then only as a last resort.

Now that I'm into this drumming thing for over fifty years, I'm finally beginning to give my left hand a little attention. Whenever I remember to remind myself of this quest, I try to switch up sometimes, using my left hand to do things that normally automatically go to my right hand. Ever tried cutting your steak the way a lefty would? Or brushing your teeth left handed? These little "exercises" have helped me quite a bit in trying to escape right hand dominance.

So, is a "weak" left hand normal? Yep. And trying to break that brain-determined preference for the right hand feels very unnatural. If you can read drum exercise music, the exercises posted above will help enormously is improving the left hand's "intelligence!"

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    For us right-handed people, the left hand is retarded! I've been playing a long, long time, and my left hand is still retarded . The reason is quite simple - we do everything with our right hands, and use our left hand only to support what the right hand is doing - and then only as a last resort.

Now that I'm into this drumming thing for over fifty years, I'm finally beginning to give my left hand a little attention. Whenever I remember to remind myself of this quest, I try to switch up sometimes, using my left hand to do things that normally automatically go to my right hand. Ever tried cutting your steak the way a lefty would? Or brushing your teeth left handed? These little "exercises" have helped me quite a bit in trying to escape right hand dominance.

So, is a "weak" left hand normal? Yep. And trying to break that brain-determined preference for the right hand feels very unnatural. If you can read drum exercise music, the exercises posted above will help enormously is improving the left hand's "intelligence!"

GeeDeeEmm
    Good stuff.

User Info Menu

I've been trying to "straighten" my left in order to play matched(I play trad just fine) and I think it's harder for a righty to train a left hand when you're older. My stick seems to follow an arc outwards or inwards when doing doubles' second strokes. The strength is there but the muscles are just confused.
    So young beginners have an advantage there-no prior, bad habits to eliminate. Maybe just strengthen those needed muscles' memory with repetition. And good luck with that page of stick control...that alone won't do it, but when you go thru it you'll feel better.
    (just an idea: If you have time and nobody's around, find a medium weight hammer, some wood and some nails and start hammering nails to build up your left wrist and arm motions.Hammer accurately.)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I've been trying to use my left hand more for normal tasks as well. Seems to help a bit. Get it used to a new range of motion. I hammer a lot of sheet metal at work. I constantly switch hands to build strength for drumming.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    I've been trying to use my left hand more for normal tasks as well. Seems to help a bit. Get it used to a new range of motion. I hammer a lot of sheet metal at work. I constantly switch hands to build strength for drumming.
    I think hammering is underrated as an aid to strengthen that weak hand.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

good idea bout the hammer exercise. That should really do it. Ive Never used a hammer with my left hand.

User Info Menu

Hey Niko, I feel ya. I've been over analyzing my left hand for the past month now wondering how I could speed up the process of making it stronger. I've been doing things like attempting to write paragraphs with it, playing all the rudiments and such. Like others have already said it takes a LONG time, just keep at it. Check out Jojo Mayer's secrets for the modern drummer there are a lot of helpful tips on grip and hand technique on the videos.

User Info Menu

Just watch jazz drummers play, especially when comping. They aren't "hammering" but playing conversations on the snare with left hand, like presses and grace notes etc...It really about practice.

all the best...

User Info Menu

i think i am lucky being ambidextrous. i dont 'get these problems. But i think that using yor weak hand for normal tasks seems like a good move.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I think you're doing just fine. Drum solos are way over rated IMHO.
    thank you ITPP , i like short catchy ones, but the long ones usually become boring
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Left hand just doesn't work the same

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Just watch jazz drummers play, especially when comping. They aren't "hammering" but playing conversations on the snare with left hand, like presses and grace notes etc...It really about practice.

all the best...
    "....conversations on the snare...." Love it
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Thanks Goya, found a copy of the video on eBay for under $20 will check it out soon as I get some extra cash
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Left hand just doesn't work the same

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very normal. Get the book "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone. Practice the exercises (one example below) as suggested. It will take time, but, you'll get there.

Thanks for this. Was able to print it up am using it. Will get a copy of struck control soon as I get some extra cash.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    Thanks for this. Was able to print it up am using it. Will get a copy of struck control soon as I get some extra cash.
    Send me your name & address via Private Message and I'll send you a copy.