Thread: How do you play these beats?

User Info Menu

Default How do you play these beats?

I am a total sucker for any kind of "marching style" type beats used in pop and hip hop music. I'd love to be able to learn how to play what ever the drummer is doing on "One Call Away" by Charlie Puth. The other song that is a lot older is called, "50 Ways to Leave your Lover by Paul Simon. Any drum pattern help on either of those 2 songs, totally appreciated.
    Last edited by NikoSeven; 03-31-2016 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you play these beats?

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    "50 Ways to Leave your Lover by Paul Simon. Any drum pattern help on either of those 2 songs, totally appreciated.
    Classic Steve Gadd................find it on youtube.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Good luck with 50 ways to leave your lover. I've watched the videos, and I still dont get it. :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Have you seen the youtube video "Gadd's 50 Ways" ? OMG, Awesome. He makes it look so easy. I aspire to learn how to play that riff someday.
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

50 ways is not really all that bad if you start it slow and work it. I had it passable last year. Would have to do a refresher on it now though. Once you get the flow it is really a cool groove to play, believe it or not the really hard part is transitioning to the chorus and then back to the verse groove, never really got that passable and then the singer decided he did not want to do it...phew..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Gadd makes it look so easy!
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Gadd makes everything he plays look easy. His feel is ridiculous. And the way he dances on his throne while he plays?! He's never still. He says that's a big part of why his drumming feels unique.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!