Thread: Back & shoulder pain whilst playing

User Info Menu

Default Back & shoulder pain whilst playing

Have been playing the drums since I was 12 (49 now) & I am beginning to suffer more & more with lower back pain & now rear shoulder pain (Both sides)
    I have studied my posture & don't think it is bad. When sat, my thigh's do point down very slightly past the 90 degree mark which is correct. I do play in two very fast Punk bands though so the type of music won't help much.
    My current throne is a Mapex T580L In leopard print which I have dyed black!!!!! & wondering if this may have anything to do with it as it is getting on a bit but still seems quite firm.
    Would a throne such as a Roc-N-Soc with backrest help? I am also looking at the Ahead ASPG-Spinal G throne which is said to alleviate compression of the lower back & coccyx.

All help & advice will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks & kind regards, Kevin

User Info Menu

Default Re: Back & shoulder pain whilst playing

1st) Go to the doctor and let him/her check you out to see what's causing the problem before you do more damage to it.

2nd) Don't guess at what the causes might be, odds are you will be wrong.

3rd) GO TO THE DOCTOR. After you have been diagnosed, then you can figure out what kind of seat to put your butt on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    1st) Go to the doctor and let him/her check you out to see what's causing the problem before you do more damage to it.

2nd) Don't guess at what the causes might be, odds are you will be wrong.

3rd) GO TO THE DOCTOR. After you have been diagnosed, then you can figure out what kind of seat to put your butt on.
    Great advice & I will adhere to it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Great advice & I will adhere to it

A couple of years ago, I felt a weird feeling go across my biceps and chest. There was no pain, just a strange feeling.

I went to the VA Hospital and told my doctor. They sent me for tests, and that little nothing turned into a triple by-pass.

The doctor who did the by-pass told me after the operation that I was a year away from a massive heart attack, 2 years if I was lucky.

You don't mess with your health, no matter how minor you think something is.

User Info Menu

Many thanks. I am hoping it is all down to either posture or the stool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

You don't mess with your health, no matter how minor you think something is.
    Wise advice

User Info Menu

A back rest could help between songs but typically I play at the edge of the throne. Like rick said...go see a doctor ASAP.

Mapex T580L

Ahead ASPG-Spinal G throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    A back rest could help between songs but typically I play at the edge of the throne. Like rick said...go see a doctor ASAP.

Mapex T580L

Ahead ASPG-Spinal G throne

Lol, now you see why I dyed it black........

Am really liking the thought of the spinal G & it gets fantastic write ups.

Will see the doc also

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post

Am really liking the thought of the spinal G & it gets fantastic write ups.
    I can see why. Looks like they borrowed some technology from the biking industry. Here's a $250 road bike saddle. I see a lot of similarities.