Thread: Minimalist - Cool mount

User Info Menu

Default Minimalist - Cool mount

Played an "unplugged" style show this weekend at church and wanted a minimalist setup witha as few stands as possible.

I bought a couple of the DW Drums Claw Hook Accessory Clamps about six months ago, but hadn't used them until this weekend.

It is a hoop mounted accessory clamp..........I mounted a 22" Ping ride off of it and it worked perfectly. For 20 bucks, can't beat it IMO.

I thought it may be too heavy, but it held up through rehearsal, and two shows.

Here are a couple of pics, they are blurry, but the best ones I have.

Have any of you ever mounted your ride or tom this way?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Minimalist - Cool mount

This is what the mount actually looks like

I used it, along with a "puppy bone"...........worked great
    Last edited by longgun; 04-04-2016 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

That pretty sweet. Owning a 22" ping ride myself and k owing how heavy they are, I was concerned about the weight as well. I'd hate to have to replace that DW hoop. Nice and clean setup though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    That pretty sweet. Owning a 22" ping ride myself and k owing how heavy they are, I was concerned about the weight as well. I'd hate to have to replace that DW hoop. Nice and clean setup though
    Thanks, I was worried too...............but it held up well, with no visible damage to the hoop.

Not something I'd run very often though..............I feel safer with a "normal" stand

User Info Menu

Some of the Ludwig Atlas stuff can make a similar setup.

I'm still staring at my kit trying to shave off weight. That hoop - mounted solution definitely requires a light touch.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

That's a great add on. I have that first one shown for my legless hi-hat setup.

Very sturdy

User Info Menu

That's super cool. But I think I got you beat on the "minimalist" part. Can't wait get me a kit that size. Here's a shot if my current "rig"
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

I've mounted all kinds of things off of drum rims, but not a ride, and only off of snares, timbales, toms and bongos...using the LP claws. I feel like mounting a 22" heavy cymbal would put a lot of stress on the hoop over time and probably damage it, but who knows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    That's super cool. But I think I got you beat on the "minimalist" part. Can't wait get me a kit that size. Here's a shot if my current "rig"
    Sometimes, that's all you need.....providing the artillery shell is diffused
    Otherwise, it would be a real "blast" to play....really blow people away.

Sometimes, I just play an empty beer crate (literally).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics of the cymbal claw mount Butch. I must admit it looks very stealthy but as others have posted, I'd be concerned about the weight and torque put on the hoop.

Like spaz, I purchased a hihat hoop mount a few years ago but found that the amount of torque needed to keep the hihat stand in place put a great amount of pressure on the batter hoop causing it to choke off any tone due to the mass and weight of the clamp and hihat stand. I also cringed when I heard a crackling sound from the hoop as I tightened down on the clamp.

For me, a few cymbal stands doesn't present a problem to haul around if I were to go with a minimalist approach.

Last edited by late8; 04-05-2016 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I've used a boom arm attachment (like you would use for a splash), but mount it off my hi-hat stand and use my Wuhan 14" crash. It's light weight and works well for the 14"....and eliminates a dedicated cymbal stand on my left side. I'm thinking of doing the same on the other side with my 16" Wuhan crash. I would mount it off the ride cymbal stand (playing one up). That would allow me to get by with just a hi-hat stand, one cymbal stand and 2 boom attachments. That should give more room on stage and lighten the hardware bag as well. I suppose I could use a cymbal stacker as well, and just mount the 16" crash over the ride. The 16" bass is so small on my jungle kit that I don't need to use a boom stand for the ride. I can easily tuck the bass under the ride using a straight stand. I LOVE the idea of being both simple and light weight.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I also cringed when I heard a crackling sound from the hoop as I tightened down on the clamp.

My double-bass Ludwig kit (1973) had a hi-hat stand that clamped on to the reso hoop of the bass drum at your left foot.
    I hated that stand and that whole idea..............for multiple reasons.
    Never again.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

To me a double bass rig is the complete diametric opposite of a minimalist set. LOL

Any hoo...On my old marching set up, I attach all kinds of things to the hoops including tambo's, bells, blocks and small cymbals etc... A large ride cymbal may be a tad heavy for that useage. I would fear it falling over.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Some of the Ludwig Atlas stuff can make a similar setup. I'm still staring at my kit trying to shave off weight. That hoop - mounted solution definitely requires a light touch.
    It was a lot sturdier than I thought..........especially with the 22" ping ride............it's a real heavy ride.

But I think the Atlas stuff would be sturdier, as it is mounted to a lug and not the hoop

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That's a great add on. I have that first one shown for my legless hi-hat setup.

Very sturdy
    Yep.........It held up great..........but I don't think I'd use it alot

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post

Absolutely.........the definition of "minimalist"
    Last edited by longgun; 04-06-2016 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I've mounted all kinds of things off of drum rims, but not a ride, and only off of snares, timbales, toms and bongos...using the LP claws. I feel like mounting a 22" heavy cymbal would put a lot of stress on the hoop over time and probably damage it, but who knows.

It held up well for practice and two shows...............don't think I'd use it long term as that is a lot of pressure on the hoop.

I also cringed when I heard a crackling sound from the hoop as I tightened down on the clamp.

For me, a few cymbal stands doesn't present a problem to haul around if I were to go with a minimalist approach.
    I would have stopped if I heard the crackling noises too..........one stand would have been a better solution and not much more of a footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've used a boom arm attachment (like you would use for a splash),
    I did use one of those for the crash............mounted off the hi-hat

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    A large ride cymbal may be a tad heavy for that useage. I would fear it falling over.

all the best...
    No fear of falling over...........I was more concerned about any damage to the hoop................but no issues

User Info Menu

You could always swap to a steel hoop whenever you want to use the clamps. They would provide more support for the shell, never break and would keep you from scratching the factory hoop. The difference in sound would never be noticed...especially if you're hanging stuff off it.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You could always swap to a steel hoop whenever you want to use the clamps. They would provide more support for the shell, never break and would keep you from scratching the factory hoop. The difference in sound would never be noticed...especially if you're hanging stuff off it.
    Could work...............may look ugly on the front though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Could work...............may look ugly on the front though
    Brian has a great idea, a steel hoop. You can get them in all black or any color and you won't be able to tell difference visually or sonically.
    Last edited by late8; 04-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Brian has a great idea, a steel hoop. You can get them in all black or any color and you won't be able to tell difference visually or sonically.
    i was just picturing the old metal color ones.................but a white one would blend right in