Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drummers or not

User Info Menu

Cool drummers or not

have anyone ever notised that when you are talking to people that almost
    everyone is a socalled drummer. I think that some people think all they have to do is buy a pair sticks and beat on a tub and that all it takes. but it takes
    a lot of hard work and dedacation. it realy get under my skin when I run into those guys. how about you

User Info Menu

me too when i brought my set i told my dad to tell me when i could call myself a drummer because just because you get a set or join a band doesn`t mean you`re a drummer but i don`t think i`ve earned the socalled title but i`m darn good at playing them
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

yeah 1 of my friends got a pair of stix from hard rock cafe and said OH look im a drummer! and i was like noo... you dont even know how to play.. and she was like well its easy! all you do is bang on some drums and make it look complex!
    that made me SOOOOO mad. I think drummers are greatly under estimated!!!
    No one really knows how hard it really is to do and be good at unless they try it.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

anythings easy after you learn it
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

yeah but drums are hard to learn
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Oh yea, I believe that there's a difference between playing the drums and being a drummer!!
    Also,
    we, as drummers, think differently, as if our brains are wired a little differently. It's tough to explain to people unless they're musicians too. Then, they usually know it and agree with it. To me, it takes a certain type of person to play the drums - it seams like any-and-everyone plays guitar - but it's those off-kilter people, that make up the drumming community. (I don't mean to insult guitarists, but I think you know what I mean). It's a feeling in our soul, the most primitive form of music/communication, that runs through us. We're drawn to each other. We feel a connection to one another - almost family-like. I don't think guitarists have that niche - that same closeness - that drummers do.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

wow that was so true and weirdly profound
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Default Drummers or not?

For many years, the radio station for which I work has hosted a Christmas fundraising party for handicapped children; two years ago two of my fellow talk show hosts and I threw together a "garage band" (bass guitar, lead guitar and you know who on percussion). It was fun and we didn't sound too bad for three guys who hadn't played much together before then--until I heard a dude playing his own bongos along with us (very badly!)...and the 18-piece professional orchestra which was the main entertainment.

The wannabe was playing drums, but he was not a drummer. (Ironically, he had done it at the previous year's party and I tried to discourage him by showing him how a real drummer plays the bongos. As they say, a little learning is a dangerous thing.)

METALDRUMMER, you're right that drummers have a mindset that other musicians don't have--and I daresay hand drummers like me may have more of a tribal mindset...that's why my forum name is "bongobro"--I consider all drummers my brothers (and sisters), and the guys and gals who are hand drummers? They're definitely in my tribe, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

that is quite true metal drummer...even when i was very young i allready could tell that i kept pace with a different drummer...not to quote Thorough...but u get the idea...and now i am a drummer following my own rythm to life..

User Info Menu

Oh yea, I believe that there's a difference between playing the drums and being a drummer!!
    -Metal drummer

Holy crap, The lead singer of queens of the stone age said the exact same thing in an iterview once!!!!! Exact same!!!!!

User Info Menu

Only a real drummer would question wether or not he or she was a drummer.

User Info Menu

most musicians of a certain instrument tend to feel likewise but as so many people now play the guitar it probably only seems like that because as with drums, theres a difference between playing the guitar and being a guitarist. albeit a matter of ego more than technique lol...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    -Metal drummer

Holy crap, The lead singer of queens of the stone age said the exact same thing in an iterview once!!!!! Exact same!!!!!
    I didn't know that. I've been saying that for almost 20 years now. That's funny that someone else said that too!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

yeah just the other day my friend was over and he was doing one of the easiest beats i have heard and yeah he played it for like 10 minute then got up and was like why do you act like its so hard to play all you do is hit some drums and cymbals and yeah its really easy.... i got mad and stabed him with one of my sticks then yeah he was like whats that for and i said cause your a dumbass but yeah thats my story
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

haha thats funny
    but soo true ... my friends say that too and it makes me mad
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

yeah i have another story:
    One of my friends has wanted to play the drums ever since she saw me play them so recently for her birthday i got her a pair of drumsticks, and then she started running around telling people that she was a drummer. So i was like Whatever.. this is stupid.. so then I tried to teach her stuff and she kept on getting mad cuz it wasnt as easy as it looked and she couldnt get the coordination down, and she couldnt do the bass pedal and stuff and i told her that its gonna take a while, and i wouldnt expect her to get it down tonight. but she got mad and hasnt touched those sticks in a month. And yet she still calls herself a drummer. people need to learn that they have to know the basics and work up from there.. and acctually know how to play.. to be considered a drummer.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    I don't think guitarists have that niche - that same closeness - that drummers do.
    your right about this ...almost every gitaurist around where i live seems to be a rival where as drummers cluster togather...like a large portion of my school is musical...so the drummers are always like hanging our togather ...and the guitarists are always avoiding each other or being buttholes to each other i dunno i just seems like they dont get along too well cause at the guitar club theres always a volume war going on... who has the biggest amp wins...ish such stupidity...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I totally agree with Metal Drummer. I think people who are true drummers live, breathe, and eat drums. I also agree with Metal Drummer that true drummers think differently. I always feel a little different if I'm not hanging out or talking to people who are interested in music or playing music.

User Info Menu

Or Maybe I had A.D.D.

User Info Menu

Default Re: drummers or not

That gets under my skin. Yay! I am bringing back old threads!
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

I don't get it when people can say that drums are easy when you put them on a set and cant even keep simple tempos. Its funny but you just have to move forward....
    __Paiste__
    14 signature dimensions light hihats
    16 Alpha rock crash
    18 Alpha rock crash
    18 Alpha medium crash
    20 Alpha Power ride
    18 Signature Full crash(Cracked)used as second ride
    __Zildjian__
    18 Zbt china
    __Sabian__
    10 AA metal-x splash
    __Peace Drums__
    5 Piece Marauder (Mahogany Shells)
    PDP 402 Double Pedals
    Evans onyx heads,Evans EMAD 2
    __Snares__
    14x5 PDP Snare
    14x5 Peace steel snare
    12x5 Pork Pie Little Squealer Maple(satin Finish)
    Reggae-Ska-Grind-Rap-DNB

User Info Menu

Wow, Grampire has some serious thread revival powers...I shall have to keep my eye on you.

I think its probably the same for all instrumentalists though, just because you got given a guitar doesn't make you a guitarist until you can play something meaningful on it and I truly believe that is the same for anyone who has or is learning to play any instrument.

As far as Drummers being a different breed, well, I think my signature says it all.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

They're also the sort of people I have to weed out amongst my students. That's why after they have had their first lesson I give them a little pep talk, even with the young ones. That if they're looking at doing lessons, whether they choose weekly or fortnightly, that they have to be prepared to do some work to get anywhere, otherwise choose another thing to do. Which reminds me, the worst thing a parent can do is to have their kids overcommitted on too many things outside of doing any musical instrument. A bit of sport is good, or doing some theatre or anything else is fine if they can also put in the time to do lessons with me too. But when you get a phone call or message from a kid's parent saying their son or daughter is also doing debating, netball AND then got into a musical for this year, like the message I got earlier today, I just have to say to them that if you're not making drum lessons at least one of the top two or three priorities for your child, then please, don't waste my time, as they are not going to get anything out of a half hour fortnightly lesson...an hour long fortnightly lesson, maybe, but no way a half hour one unless it's weekly and your kid practices what I give them. Put it bluntly, people like that are absolutely clueless and quite frankly I'm glad to see the back of them, at least it leaves a spot for a more committed student. But my students who do do the hard work I give a lot of my time to, because they can see that I do my utmost to bring out their best, and they realise that drumming is a hard-won skill. They win my respect, and I have theirs.

It takes a special breed to become a drummer, I mean really a drummer. Most of the planet's population seem to wander around blind to this rhythmic current that we all have....only a drummer has the drive to keep tapping into it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

^+1 Bravo Drumbledore, Bravo.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Would you guys get mad at me if I said that I thought playing the drums was easy????

How about people with sticks that dont play drums, as mentioned earlier in this thread? Are they not drummers because they dont have a drum set?

Would you consider the Blue Man Group drummers?
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey