Thread: Sheltered Reality

User Info Menu

Cool Sheltered Reality

Wonder if any of you have heard of this group:

Sheltered Reality is an Iowa-based group that calls itself "the country's first non-profit musical organization dedicated to help those in need." SR has over 300 members of all ages (6 to 81) in more than 40 groups around the United States.

They perform in settings ranging from county fairs to schools to (as I saw on the evening I posted this thread) area churches. The group consists of nine or more people performing on timbales, cowbells and cymbals (the sound resembles that of a drumline, so this could have easily been posted in "Drumline"). Their performances also motivate and empower their audiences and encourage you to seek to motivate others and make a difference in others (so this could also go into "Christian Drummers.")

I was blown away by the concert--and was so impressed that I'm considering getting involved in a new branch of SR in my neighborhood...

Just wondering if you've heard of--or heard--them...and if you have, what're your thoughts?

Check the website: www.sheltered-reality.org
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I watched a few of thier videos... I think some of the traveling groups would be better than others. A few vids were very simple, and others were mind blowing in complexity. But everyone was playing the same part... I think that would be much more impressive live than in a crappy youtube video.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool Sheltered Reality

Agreed on the live vs. vid part, krys...considering they're all playing a pair of timbales, with a crash cymbal on one side and three cowbells in the center, you're gonna see varying levels of proficiency. The group that I saw played had been together for a while, but at least one of the players was making only her second appearance...

A lot of it involves teamwork, discipline and mucho practice, especially on the choreography...when my buddy and I were "drafted" from the audience to play with them, the stuff we played was relatively simple--but multiply it by nine players (actually 13, since there were two other players with us up front) and the results can be literally deafening...

At one point I felt the floor shaking at the height of their loudest number...so they are much more intense in person than in a vid...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Cool Sheltered Reality

Update!

A Granite City branch of Sheltered Reality is being formed--first meeting is January 12 (hope I can now squeeze it on to my sked!)

Gotta start reviewing my timbale parts!

Charlie

User Info Menu

My daughter has been drumming for Sheltered Reality for almost 2 years now. Great group of people in our site. It is a very rewarding group to be involved in. Getting started learing all the songs and choregraphy this time of year is great. You will have all winter to learn everything then be ready for what seems like nonstop shows durring the summer. Great fun and you get to play at some amazing places!

User Info Menu

Hi Drummermom! Welcome to Drum Chat. Isn't it amazing how groups that do good for others can also do good for those who volunteer to help!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes I agree. Those involved in SR are required to do 1 service project a month. Can be anything from collecting supplies for different service orginizations to volunteering their time. SR is not just about drumming and shows.

User Info Menu

Drummermom, this is what the whole world should be about - giving and receiving - with an emphasis on the giving!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hi, I was looking on the SR site and am a bit confused. How do you get involved? I think it's a really neat idea. I live in Philly though, I'll have to see if we have anything like that here...

User Info Menu

Cool Sheltered Reality

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Check the website: www.sheltered-reality.org
    Here ya go, bonham...BTW, welcome to DrumChat!

Charlie

User Info Menu

new site opening in Kennett Sq.,Pa in early 2008. Is that close to you?

Try contactus@sheltered-reality.org to get specifics on joining SR . They should be able to give you some contact information

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sheltered Reality

Bongobro....did you ever join SR???

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Sheltered Reality

No, I didn't.

Here's why: I couldn't fit it into my schedule!

When I attended the November meeting, I had been out of work for roughly a month and a half...and while I was interested at the time, my biggest priority was to find a job. As it turned out, I had a Christmas-season job (Thanksgiving to Christmas), then I was out of work until I got a job in February. I was fortunate to get my work schedule such that I get off Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings (to accommodate my church music commitments).

I also discovered that I would have to purchase the timbales and other equipment I would need to participate (at what I found out after the fact were exorbitant prices). SR also requires travel that would make it all but impossible for me to participate.

I am only now beginning to get back on my feet financially--and the work I do with the band I have since joined is carefully planned around my work schedule.

So, unfortunately, SR is no longer in the bongobro's plans...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that you did not join..sounds like you would of been a good fit for SR. My daughter totally loves being involved in SR. She will be a freshman in high school next year and made the high school drumline...should be interesting, she has never been in band and does not read music but the band director wanted her in because he knows she has the endurance for long hours of practice and she catches on quickly to choreography. Hopefully it works out. After all she is "Taking a chance"

User Info Menu

Great information to pass along. Once I get competent this will probably be one of the first things I involve myself in.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

I was checking out the SR web-site last night. They are pretty good , nice site too . Thanks for posting the link .

User Info Menu

Actually we have another site now on MySpace. Look for Sheltered Reality-Music With Meaning.

User Info Menu

Drummermom , I will check it out at home when I get a chancr , I cant access those sites from my work computer . thanks for posting the info .