Thread: Thinking About New Tom Batter Heads

User Info Menu

Default Thinking About New Tom Batter Heads

Can't get my tom heads tuned to that nice deep thud without putting an Evans Studio mute and a piece of MoonGel on them. Maybe that's normal - I don't know.

The drums are a new set of Gretsch Renowns that came with Evans Genera G2 heads on all the toms. They seem like nice heads (I don't know much about all this - I'm new at it).

I also have a 10" Gretsch Blackhawk Mighty Mini snare (off to one side of my large floor tom for now). I experimented by taking the coated batter head off and putting a Remo Pinstripes from a Roto Tom on it - it sounds great as an extra tom - better than my much more expensive Renowns!

My question here is ..............are there Gretsch players out there that have changed the Evans Genera G2 batter heads for a much better head - and what is that "better head"?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Kona, I haven't changed out my heads yet, since I found that I kind of like the resonance of my single plies. I do play Evans EC2's when I go take my lessons at the music store. They are on Donahoe drums, and not my Gretsch catalina Maple set, but I can say that if you are looking for a good thud, the EC2's will give it to you. The the extra ply, and the edge control ring built into those heads will cut out the overtones.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I changed my heads out about a month after I purchased my latest kit (which was about 5 years ago) and it made a vast improvment over the stock heads. I put clear Remo emperors on all around and have stayed with that head every time I change and have never looked back.

User Info Menu

BTD, welcome to Drum Chat! What kit are you on?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I have a PDP LX with all DW9000 Hardware except DW5000 High hat and Double Bass Drum Pedals. My favorite Snare drum is a Ludwig 402 61/2 x 14. I'm also a Lefty so I play everything backwards to you right handed drummers. At least I am assuming you are right handed!

Thanks for the welcome!

User Info Menu

I'm sure you will enjoy it here BTD. There are a lot of great people around here, and we all try to play nice!

BTW, I saw a finish on a PDP LX set that I really like. Not that I don't like my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, but I think it's just beautiful in it's simplicity. It's the white to blue fade http://www.pacificdrums.com/lx/lx.htm What finish do you have?

User Info Menu

I like that finish too. and the Blue Emerald fade they are currently making as well. My set was made before those colors were available. They are Candy Apple red Laquer over maple so the grain shows through. They are beautiful under stage lights. It's funny that I bought those becasue I have never been a person that really loves the color red. But when I saw those drums in the shop I was smitten and have never regretted my decision. Almost everywhere I play someone comments how good they look. And to be honest I have never seen a PDP LX set in Red that looks as good as mine do. Whoever applied that finish did and outstanding job because it is perfect and the perfect shade. If you have ever had experience applying candy apple paint the more coats you apply the darker it becomes. So it requires some skill to get right. The kits I have seen that are newer than mine are not the same shade as mine, they are a lighter shade and not as rich looking in color.:icon_

User Info Menu

Sorry for the double post earlier. My computer acted funny and it didn't show that I posted anything so I thought it dropped it so I reposted.

User Info Menu

No sweat, BTD, it happens sometimes. I'll go ahead and delete one for you.

User Info Menu

remo pinstripes and tuning rings made my $200 kit sound nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    remo pinstripes and tuning rings made my $200 kit sound nice
    That sounds like the ticket here.

But - I put new Remo Pinstripes on my Roto Toms and didn't quite get the sound I wanted so I switched them for the black dot sound control heads and they sound a little better - on the Rotos. Like I said, I put the 10" Pinstripe on the Gretsch Mini snare (used now as a tom ) and it sounds great. I just may put them on the 12, 14 and 16 toms too.

And, Pastor Bob - I'll check those EC2's out too.

Thanks guys
    Gary

User Info Menu

I have Ec2's.. its got that deep thud, and it will streach and shrink alot for your needs.

User Info Menu

im a gretsch player
    and for some reason remo heads seem to sound alot better on them
    give pinstripes a try
    or maybe powerstrokes
    or the good old ambassador

for the record

i hated the g2's that came on my kit
    i knifed them for the fun of it hahaha

sorry if i am resurrecting an old thread by the way hahaha

User Info Menu

yeah i would go with some remo pinstripes, or ambassadors, my drum teacher is sponsored by gretsch, and he uses all remo's on everyone of his sets

User Info Menu

Remo is a pretty safe bet. Been making heads for a long time.head selection is a funny thing. I think it is much to do with the music you play. The really thick heads, oil filled, etc... can give lots of low end thudiness when you are really slamming but at lower levels tend to sound a little cardboardy. A safe bet would be clear ambassadors with a little dampening like O rings or whatever.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default O Rings - Studio Rings.........

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Remo is a pretty safe bet. Been making heads for a long time.head selection is a funny thing. I think it is much to do with the music you play. The really thick heads, oil filled, etc... can give lots of low end thudiness when you are really slamming but at lower levels tend to sound a little cardboardy. A safe bet would be clear ambassadors with a little dampening like O rings or whatever.

all the best...
    Ive got some O Rings ,10" and some 14's (floor tom and snare and rack tom). I've got more on order. They work well with the stock Evans heads that came with my Gretsch Renown kit. I'm using some Moon Gels too, nice little items!
    Gary

User Info Menu

I have remo pinstripes on my Catalina Birch kit. They sound ok but I still got to get them tuned to what I want. Having said that I have no muffling on any of the toms which I should look into.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

livewire, let them ring, It all gets lost in the mix anyhow and it provides a level of presence in the mix. muted drums sound just that, muted!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    livewire, let them ring, It all gets lost in the mix anyhow and it provides a level of presence in the mix. muted drums sound just that, muted!
    Yeah good point, the birch sounds really nice and I should let it sound for what it is rather than choking it.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate