Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What one thing do you wish you could do better drumming wise?

User Info Menu

Default What one thing do you wish you could do better drumming wise?

Hi, if you found a genie and he said you can have one wish to do with your playing, what would it be?
    Mine would be to be faster at reading or a faster left foot
    Seeing as there is a world shortage of Genies Iam willing to work on this the long way!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What one thing do you wish you could do better drumming wise?

Doubles................

Double closed rolls;
    and double bass.

I keep working on both..................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Phrasing
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Foot control or more creativity with fills.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

30 years younger......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Honestly, I don't think I'd appriciate any skill that I didn't work for.

That said, I also don't think I'd have the discipline to turn it down if it were offered! I'd want to have Buddy Rich's skill of having an entire song committed to memory in one listening.

User Info Menu

Probably just better time keeping. I seem to rush. I love to play and just rush the tune. I need to relax and slow down.

User Info Menu

Make money!

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Put together a simple, musical, short, interesting, drum solo.

User Info Menu

Play anything that requires pedals (bass drum, high hat). Childhood paralysis and continued nerve damage means I have little strength and almost no coordination in my legs and feet. I can play slow steady beats on the bass drum, but anything other than about quarter notes, or anything other than steady beats and I just can't. So...wish I could do that!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Play anything that requires pedals (bass drum, high hat). Childhood paralysis and continued nerve damage means I have little strength and almost no coordination in my legs and feet. I can play slow steady beats on the bass drum, but anything other than about quarter notes, or anything other than steady beats and I just can't. So...wish I could do that!
    I love your love of the game Curt. I hope I get to meet you and jam one day.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I guess for me what to improve on would be to be better at recording it. But, if you asked me if there was anything i'd ideally want to do with the drums, i'd answer to bring it to somebody who'd normally never have the oppurtunity to play them. A kit donation to an orphanage or church, maybe an organization for terminally ill. Give em a happy thought or two.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

It's not what I could do better, it's the almost complete lack of desire TO play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Make money!
    Big dittos on that !

User Info Menu

Four limb independence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It's not what I could do better, it's the almost complete lack of desire TO play.
    You know I've been in this same boat since last September. Ever since the loss of a life long friend and once band mate I've just not felt like playing much. He was a huge inspiration for me when it came to anything music and he always comes to mind when playing the kit. We met when I was 20 he was a bit older 26, he took me under his wing and got me going in the music business and was always there no mater what through the years, like an older brother. I'm trying to get motivated by learning some songs I've had on the back burner for years but something is just not there.

User Info Menu

To play jazz!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Hi, if you found a genie and he said you can have one wish to do with your playing, what would it be?
    Mine would be to be faster at reading or a faster left foot
    Seeing as there is a world shortage of Genies Iam willing to work on this the long way!

there are soo many thing i want to do with my playing but if i had to wish it would be able to keep time with my left foot

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    You know I've been in this same boat since last September. Ever since the loss of a life long friend and once band mate I've just not felt like playing much. He was a huge inspiration for me when it came to anything music and he always comes to mind when playing the kit. We met when I was 20 he was a bit older 26, he took me under his wing and got me going in the music business and was always there no mater what through the years, like an older brother. I'm trying to get motivated by learning some songs I've had on the back burner for years but something is just not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    That's what happened to me with the guitar. Played semi-professionally for years. Would get up first thing in the morning with a great desire to play, get better, learn new songs etc... Kinda made me feel like something was wrong with me that I lost that desire to play.
    Now I am a drummer and that burning desire has been rekindled in me. A new direction I guess for which I am very thankful.
    I pray that both of you find new inspiration and renewed passion for your music.
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    I pray that both of you find new inspiration and renewed passion for your music.

That is very noble and generous..............I second that prayer.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's what happened to me with the guitar. Played semi-professionally for years. Would get up first thing in the morning with a great desire to play, get better, learn new songs etc... Kinda made me feel like something was wrong with me that I lost that desire to play.
    Now I am a drummer and that burning desire has been rekindled in me. A new direction I guess for which I am very thankful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    That is very noble and generous..............I second that prayer.

Thank you both. I deeply appreciate your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alvanko View Post
    Probably just better time keeping. I seem to rush. I love to play and just rush the tune. I need to relax and slow down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Put together a simple, musical, short, interesting, drum solo.
    ^^^ These would be my 2 desires as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Keep the faith, brother! If you can just play straight 1/4 notes, but play them solid & steady, your actually in a position to play anything. I would take that over fancy but not-so-steady bass beats ANY day.

I agree. The best thing I ever did to renew my drumming desires was to learn guitar. It made me appreciate the mediocre drum skills I have developed and made me more passionate about music itself.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mottster View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I'd appriciate any skill that I didn't work for.

That said, I also don't think I'd have the discipline to turn it down if it were offered! I'd want to have Buddy Rich's skill of having an entire song committed to memory in one listening.
    Better yet, Buddy Rich's skill - period!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I actually wish I could go back in time so I wouldn't bust my arm and I could keep playing like I use to :(

User Info Menu

Be able to have more independence with the left side of my body