Thread: Wood Beater

User Info Menu

Default Wood Beater

Ok so I got this wood beater about a week ago for my pedal. And my drum teacher sells it to me for eight bucks(half price). I go home, take my old beater off and try to put this new one on. It doesn't fit. So now I dont know whether to take it back, sell it on ebay, or keep it. Its maple btw.

"Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I would take it back to your drum teacher. It would be all about the "hassle factor" for me. I certainly wouldn't keep it, because you can't use it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ditto. Your drum teacher should understand. See if he can get you a wooden beater that fits. BTW, I used to use one but as my speed picked up I found I didn't like the extra weight. I use a felt beater now.

User Info Menu

Is it too big to fit in the pedal reciever? If it is, perhaps if you had access to a belt sander you could turn the sander over and carfully grind the shaft smaller to fit. If your carful and hold the shaft lightly against the belt so that the shaft turns as it is held against the belt you can get a fairly even grind and the shaft will be round when you get it to the right diameter. I don't know it is just a thought. maybe you can salvage the beater after all. It might be worth a try.

User Info Menu

drummers right about the speed- but ya never know when ur drumming and ur saying to urself "somethings missing..." and ya have that wood to put on and it works
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Cool Wood Beater

Hey, Lucid, haven't seen ya 'round in a while...good to see you're still drummin' and still postin'....

13, you might want to take your pedal with you when you take the wood beater back...if that one didn't fit, you don't want to keep looking for the right one by trial and error...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i know you can get three way beater. Its plastic wood and felt. Weird triangle shape you can change around.......

I generally worry about weight in peddles. I just learn to hit them harder :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever used a wooden beater, how do they sound? Is there more low-end with it?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I think you'll get more higher tones, like the clicking sound off of the beater.

User Info Menu

You will get allot of attack with a wood beater!

User Info Menu

I do have access to a belt sander, its just a matter of whether my tech ed teacher will let me use it. I may consider getting a new pedal all together, as mine is beginning to feel the age of being beaten every day .
    If I can't use the belt sander I'll most likely take it back.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I've got a tri beater...the wood is very pronounced, very bouncy, has no sustain but produces one sweet sounding noise. But, like drummer said, it's a little hefty...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...