Thread: Speed King

User Info Menu

Default Speed King

I got a really good deal on a vintage Speed King. In great shape, ready to use. No problem? Right? Well, when it came in, I found it was the old version that is made for the thicker bass drum rims. Does anyone have any ideas on how it can be used on the newer, thinner hoops? Is there an adapter of some sort? I just don't know of anything. Thanks!
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speed King

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    I got a really good deal on a vintage Speed King. In great shape, ready to use. No problem? Right? Well, when it came in, I found it was the old version that is made for the thicker bass drum rims. Does anyone have any ideas on how it can be used on the newer, thinner hoops? Is there an adapter of some sort? I just don't know of anything. Thanks!

Find a piece of cardboard thick enough to make a tighter fit. Wrap some masking tape around it and it should be fine.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing the depth is probably an issue as well as the hoop thickness? You can put a rubber hoop protector on the inside of the hoop. I think Gibraltar sells them...just a peel-b-stick piece of rubber. If the depth is an issue, you can put a spacer against the lip of the hoop. I've tried all this before in an attempt to use my old SK, but my experience was it just never quite worked right or felt stable unless you can get the "full bite" on the hoop as it was designed. Since it's not a rigid base plate, the "goal posts" seem to rock unless you get a good, firm and full bite on the hoop. IMO, the best thing is to buy an aftermarket wood hoop of the proper thickness and width to fit the SK properly.

(I use my SK exclusively on my jungle kit. It uses a riser bracket for the pedal to clamp onto. I bolted spacers to the riser plate to get the proper thickness and depth. It works great.)
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I was not as clear about the problem as I should have been. What I meant by thickness is actually the depth of the rim. Old rims were deeper, and when mounted on newer rims, the pedal makes contact with the head because it is closer. I knew this when I bought the pedal, but just didn't think about it at the time. Don't know why i didn't. Just a brainfart. Again, sorry for the confusion. Thanks.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

I believe this issue came up before and slinglander showed a picture of some speed king pedals that had 2 different depths the pedal would push into place. I would imagine you'd just need something to space it back a little so it doesn't push in as far to clamp down if this is what you may mean?
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-18-2016 at 04:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I use a pencil as a spacer between the hoop and pedal. That's all you need, nothing fancy.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Drum Chat to the rescue, again! A pencil, it is! Thanks!