Thread: Floor Tom- FINALLY tuned well - this may assist others?

User Info Menu

Talking Floor Tom- FINALLY tuned well - this may assist others?

Hey all,

As you know I , like many others, have suffered from a lack of enjoyment with F/toms in the past. FINALLY I sorted mine out and thought that others MAY benefit from what fixed mine.

In a nutshell - an Evans EC2 Clear batter head !

I shoved it on and really spent some time getting it tuned.
    It ended up tuned fairly loose on top and my reso ( Remo Ambassador ) is tuned a 'little' tighter. It was still a touch 'ringy' and 1 x piece of moongel about 2 inches in from edge fixed it BEAUTIFULLY

It now BOOOOOOOOMS and stops ! ( not like a cardboard box- just a perfect amount of sustain then nothing )

So an EC2 for 20bucks fixed my issue, it may not suit everyones taste for sound but it has made my f/tom what I believe it should sound like.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Interesting. Does it have the attack of pinstripes or is it softer than that? Is it similar to an Emporer head?

User Info Menu

Thanks for offering your experience Wotto! Truly a good Drum Chat brother!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Interesting. Does it have the attack of pinstripes or is it softer than that? Is it similar to an Emporer head?
    I find it difficult to describe sounds on a forum and I have never used Pinstripes on this kit.

But it certainly has a big and noticeable initial boom ( an attack if you like ) before quickly dropping off I have no idea iif that explains it
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

I have stock bottom heads. Just recently put some EC2's on there. I have two moon gels. It's close but not quite where I want it. New bottom heads may be the answer. Thanks for the tip, glad you got it worked out.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Cool

i agree wif the Evans,,,,altho I'm crazy in love wif AQUARIAN "SUPER 2S"COTED HEADS ON ALL 10 DRUMS....BASS DRUM STILL IS EVANS E-MAD...I THINK I'm just too lazy to change....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool

i agree wif the Evans,,,,altho I'm crazy in love wif AQUARIAN "SUPER 2S"COATED HEADS ON ALL 10 DRUMS....BASS DRUM STILL IS EVANS E-MAD...I THINK I'm just too lazy to change....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto View Post
    Hey all,

As you know I , like many others, have suffered from a lack of enjoyment with F/toms in the past. FINALLY I sorted mine out and thought that others MAY benefit from what fixed mine.

In a nutshell - an Evans EC2 Clear batter head !

I shoved it on and really spent some time getting it tuned.
    It ended up tuned fairly loose on top and my reso ( Remo Ambassador ) is tuned a 'little' tighter. It was still a touch 'ringy' and 1 x piece of moongel about 2 inches in from edge fixed it BEAUTIFULLY

It now BOOOOOOOOMS and stops ! ( not like a cardboard box- just a perfect amount of sustain then nothing )

So an EC2 for 20bucks fixed my issue, it may not suit everyones taste for sound but it has made my f/tom what I believe it should sound like.
    I've heard that the EC2 drum head by Evans is something to be reckoned with. However, my experience (46 years) tells me that the style of music you will play has a lot to do with proper head selection and tuning. Playing drums with small combo in intimate places are better suited with the Earth head, goatskin, that came out a few years back. I play with a 17 pc. big band and would probably like the EC2. I get about the same results with the Remo coated PinStripes and moongel. I have just enough resonance from the toms without the extreme overtones.

Fiacovaz