Thread: DW 3 pos. snare butt plate

User Info Menu

Default DW 3 pos. snare butt plate

I ordered one about a month ago. I mounted it on my DW/PDP bub./maple 7x13 snare (18 ply). I thought it would bolt right on but no. Holes were off, so I had to retro fit! Story of my life! The holes were close, but since it was 18 ply I went for it. If it were 4ply or something like that I would not attempt it. I put 3/16 flat plastic caps front & back side and the plate on the outside and the bolt head & washer secured it nicely on the inside.It works great. the plate was 19+ bucks so what the heck.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW 3 pos. snare butt plate

Looks great. Good job. I love my 3 pos. plate on my newest snare. It's so easy to just flip to a different tension.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Very nice! Good thing it turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have the same snare and I thought about doing that myself!

User Info Menu

Nice mod!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Looks great. Good job. I love my 3 pos. plate on my newest snare. It's so easy to just flip to a different tension.

I'm planning on building a snare out of an old 12x10 power tom shell (very similar to yours), and I've been looking at the same adjustable butt plate. I'm thinking that I'll lose some sensitivity with the 10" depth and not being able to tension the heads like a proper snare. On most songs, I want more of a "tom" sound anyway, so I was going to use a 16 strand snare. However, a few songs I play with brushes. I'm thinking that the adjustable butt play may be just the ticket. What's your take on it, based on experience?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm planning on building a snare out of an old 12x10 power tom shell (very similar to yours), and I've been looking at the same adjustable butt plate. I'm thinking that I'll lose some sensitivity with the 10" depth and not being able to tension the heads like a proper snare. On most songs, I want more of a "tom" sound anyway, so I was going to use a 16 strand snare. However, a few songs I play with brushes. I'm thinking that the adjustable butt play may be just the ticket. What's your take on it, based on experience?
    I think you're on the right track. With the adjustable butt plate, you can switch tension on the fly, between songs. And with the DW Mag throw-off, it's even easier and cleaner when dropping the snares to turn it back in to a tom. I haven't really noticed much loss of senstivity. A little bit, but not bad at all. I think you'll be surprised how good a tom can sound as a snare. Go for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I think you're on the right track. With the adjustable butt plate, you can switch tension on the fly, between songs. And with the DW Mag throw-off, it's even easier and cleaner when dropping the snares to turn it back in to a tom. I haven't really noticed much loss of senstivity. A little bit, but not bad at all. I think you'll be surprised how good a tom can sound as a snare. Go for it!
    How much definition is there between the 3 settings? Is it like ON-1/2 WAY-OFF?

You know, as much as I like the action of the DW Mag throw on my PDP Concepts, I'm not sure I'll go that route. That darn lever seems to get caught on anything that brushes against it....and it sticks out so far that I can barely get the snare in the Gator bag. I'll have to see how much money I have to spend on this project.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    How much definition is there between the 3 settings? Is it like ON-1/2 WAY-OFF?
    No, it's more like loose, medium and tight. When I set mine up, I adjusted so the loosest setting is pretty loose, on the edge of too loose. that way, medium is just right, and tight is a nice cracky snap. Now that I think about it, it's kinda like Rice Crispies. Snap, Crackle and Pop. LOL But no, the 3 pos. plate doesn't have an "OFF" position. You still need to use the throw-off for that.

User Info Menu

I can achieve that by turning the knob on my p-85 LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

great job!
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...

Definitely not the same lol but that's why you're awesome.
    This is much quicker and easier

And this setup is a lot smoother.
    That Mag throw is just so smooth and easy to work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Yeah, and you can tune the car radio with the dial instead of using presets too.

User Info Menu

I'm just glad the inventors are hard at work making life easier for us.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yeah, you wouldn't think there's much room for innovation on such simple things as stands and strainers etc., but some clever folks are still coming up with unique and useful concepts.