Thread: Comparing Dream Bliss 18" crash/ride to a Vintange 18" crash/ride

User Info Menu

Default Comparing Dream Bliss 18" crash/ride to a Vintange 18" crash/ride

I am at a crossroad now on which cymbal to buy.
    The Dream Bliss or Vintage Bliss?
    I can get a $20 lower price on the regular Bliss crash/ride compared to the Vintage.
    I have Zildjian Custom A crashes & Sabian AA crashes.
    I just play around with my drums & I like 60's,70's Classic music.
    I read that the Vintage is a jazzy sound cymbal. And one of the cymbal weights is heavier.
    Which one is the better cymbal & better sounding.
    Thanks

Mapex Meridian Birch, Tobacco Fade
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    16" A Custom Crash
    16" K Custom Session Crash
    12" A Custom Splash
    14" A Custom MasterSound Hi Hats
    Toga Hi Hat Tambourine
    Pearl Primero Rock Cowbell
    Pearl P-902L dbl. bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Comparing Dream Bliss 18" crash/ride to a Vintange 18" crash/ride

The best answer to your question is for you to go have a hit of each cymbal and decide for yourself. That being said, Dream’s cymbals vary from cymbal to cymbal due to the handmade process so one Bliss cymbal could sound quite different from another Bliss cymbal. I haven’t played the Vintage Bliss series before, but I do know the Bliss series is supposed to try and emulate the old 60’s A’s, and I found as much when I played a 20” ride in a shop once, sounded very nice. If that’s the sound you’re chasing, then go for that. I would imagine the Vintage might have a bit more wash to it if it is geared towards jazz but neither would sound better than the other, just different. Once again, your best bet would be to go and hit some and decide for yourself.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

The vintage has a lot more wash. The regular Bliss is better for both crashing and riding, and is usually a bit brighter so would probably fit with your current cymbals better. Definitely more versatile. The Vintage Bliss models I've played were all very trashy, more of an effect than anything for most people I think.

User Info Menu

That's exactly....what I needed to know. Which one should fit in well with my Zildjian Custom A & K crashes. I really don't have a music store nearby that carries Dream cymbals, in order to go in to try them. But that would be the best way.
    I can buy the Dream Bliss 18" crash/ride for $122 shipped. So I may give that one a try.
    But I have also looked at some 18" Zildjian A's medium crash & Sabian Metal crash cymbals but I keep wanting to buy a Dream Bliss to get a different sound. I think the 18" Dream Bliss crash/ride may be the better choice versus the Vintage Bliss.
    I really appreciate ya'll help on this.
    Thank you very much

Mapex Meridian Birch, Tobacco Fade
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    16" A Custom Crash
    16" K Custom Session Crash
    12" A Custom Splash
    14" A Custom MasterSound Hi Hats
    Toga Hi Hat Tambourine
    Pearl Primero Rock Cowbell
    Pearl P-902L dbl. bass pedal