Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternative to pricey stick wrap?

User Info Menu

Default alternative to pricey stick wrap?

Hey so I like a good grip on my sticks but the pro mark and other tapes are expensive.
    What is the best alternative to use as a wrap?

I heard of rubber self fusing electric tape. Is that best for feel and thickness?

Thanks
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: alternative to pricey stick wrap?

blisters and callouses haha

Buy yourself a container of plastidip in the hardware aisle for tools and dip the ends.

User Info Menu

Rough up the ends with some coarse sand paper....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Gorilla Snot.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Tried that gorilla stuff. was nasty.
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Learn to not need any.

User Info Menu

baseball bat tape works real good. There's also a spray for bats that doesn't get messy
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I recently tried using tape on various sticks. I used baseball bat tape on one pair. It worked OK. Then I tried the AHEAD grip tape. It's the best on the market, IMO. If I gotta have tape, I'll pay the extra for the AHEAD.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Pro Mark applies "Pro Grip" to a few models of their sticks. It's a clear coating, but not like dipped sticks, that has enough tackiness to it to give you a better grip (especially when the hands get a bit sweaty). It works. Best thing is it doesn't change the thickness of the grip or the balance of the stick. I play with a real light grip on the stick and it's just enough to keep them from flying out of my hands.

User Info Menu

Hockey tape
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just play the Zildjian dips. They're cheaper than any other major manufacturers stick and for me I've had good luck with them. After a while the dip will wear off but usually they're pretty chewed up by then. I have noticed though that since I've changed my playing style I don't seem to grip the sticks as much as I used to and the dip stays on longer and actually I can hang on the no dipped sticks way better. Guess it was all in my grip and playing technique

User Info Menu

ya the Z dip sticks are nice but they are about 14 canadian. Their are some pro mark basic wood hickory sticks i just picked up for 10 bucks thats feel good. But they are play wood. Ill try some hockey tape to start then go from there. Ill look for the self fusing electrical tape too.

User Info Menu

Tried hockey tape at first, even taped them up like i did my lacrosse stick many, many moons ago...

I tried the Vic Grip sticks by VF and within 10min started getting a blister.

I think Inthpckt (I always read that as "Inked Player") is right, learn to play without them. Outside of scuffing up your sticks or using nasty sticky stuff, you will alter the balance of the stick (especially tape) and might lead to developing bad technique.

One thing I did was start playing with heavier and bigger sticks. Even pros sometimes lose their sticks, if it happens a lot, it's a technique issue...

User Info Menu

Electrical heat shrink tubing. They come in different diameters and textures and easy to install. Just use a hair dryer and heat the tubing. Comes in different colors in multi packs and you can use your current stick without spending extra $$ on dipped sticks or drum stick wraps. I don't use any tape on my sticks but I heard the heat shrink tubing works great and is cheap to replace if your sticks break.

User Info Menu

^^^^
    That's a great idea Rich. Never thought if that stuff, even though I use it on my rc cars all the time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    I heard of rubber self fusing electric tape. Is that best for feel and thickness?
    Thanks
    I've tried it. I didn't like it at all. The feeling just wasn't right. I do however, like the Ahead tape, and the VF tape.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I recently bought a pair of Zildjian "anti-vibe" sticks, which have a solid rubber core pressed in the butt end. They were on sale, so thought I'd try them. I then wrapped them with AHEAD grip tape....mostly to add weight at the back end. I must admit, I liked the way they felt.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    ^^^^
    That's a great idea Rich. Never thought if that stuff, even though I use it on my rc cars all the time
    RC cars?? Hey, now we're talking!!

User Info Menu

I just tried out basic black shiny electrical tape. havent played with them yet but already just holding them they feel decent.. some tackiness but smooth so blisters seem like they would stay at bay. We will see tonight at practice though

Ill probably try the ahead tape once and see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    blisters and callouses haha

Buy yourself a container of plastidip in the hardware aisle for tools and dip the ends.
    I'll second that. I dip twice for a thicker layer. Following the directions is important for this stuff, and make sure your sticks are clean. Skin oils will really degrade the results.

I've also tried the Zildjian dips, absolute waste of money. Didn't last an hour, and I've got loose grip.

User Info Menu

Just figured out a genius cheap alternative.

I picked up an ahead grip tape yesterday for 8 bucks canadian. Nearly 10 with tax. BAH!

got it home and realized its basically the exact same stuff as the overgrips I use on my squash racquets! and they are a 1.50 a piece. The nice thing is that the squash wraps are twice as long as each ahead wrap piece and twice as wide meaning Ill be able to wrap 2 pairs of stick for 1.50 !!!! exact same thickness and feel as the ahead.

So anyone out there looking to save lots of coin on wrapping sticks. look for some tennis/squash/racquetball 'overgrips'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    Just figured out a genius cheap alternative.

I picked up an ahead grip tape yesterday for 8 bucks canadian. Nearly 10 with tax. BAH!

got it home and realized its basically the exact same stuff as the overgrips I use on my squash racquets! and they are a 1.50 a piece. The nice thing is that the squash wraps are twice as long as each ahead wrap piece and twice as wide meaning Ill be able to wrap 2 pairs of stick for 1.50 !!!! exact same thickness and feel as the ahead.

So anyone out there looking to save lots of coin on wrapping sticks. look for some tennis/squash/racquetball 'overgrips'
    Awesome idea! Thanks for the tip. I'll be trying that next time.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

tennis racket grip wrap $2.99
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    tennis racket grip wrap $2.99
    yep that should do nicely... may be ever so slightly thicker than ahead tape though.. but not that noticeable

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    I just play the Zildjian dips. They're cheaper than any other major manufacturers stick and for me I've had good luck with them. After a while the dip will wear off but usually they're pretty chewed up by then. I have noticed though that since I've changed my playing style I don't seem to grip the sticks as much as I used to and the dip stays on longer and actually I can hang on the no dipped sticks way better. Guess it was all in my grip and playing technique
    I'm really happy with the Zildjian dips as well. As mentioned, the dip wears off, but the sticks are indeed very chewed up by then. I've never had a problem with callouses. It's the perfect stick for me.