Thread: UFIP 14" Supernova Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default UFIP 14" Supernova Hi Hats

Does anyone have the UFIP 14" Supernova hi hats ?
    Or does anyone know anything about them?
    I found a slightly used set (less than 1 yr. old) & bought them. I will give them a try & compare them to my Zildjian 14" Custom A Mastersound hi hats.
    After hearing some YouTube videos, the Supernova hi hats sound pretty good.
    But with those videos everything is mic'd & sound mixed.
    From what I read, they are only B8 alloy & not rotocast like the higher line
    UFIP hi hats.
    Thanks for your help,
    Kenny

Mapex Meridian Birch, Tobacco Fade
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    16" A Custom Crash
    16" K Custom Session Crash
    12" A Custom Splash
    14" A Custom MasterSound Hi Hats
    Toga Hi Hat Tambourine
    Pearl Primero Rock Cowbell
    Pearl P-902L dbl. bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: UFIP 14" Supernova Hi Hats

Quote Originally Posted by kourso View Post
    Does anyone have the UFIP 14" Supernova hi hats ?
    Or does anyone know anything about them?
    I found a slightly used set (less than 1 yr. old) & bought them. I will give them a try & compare them to my Zildjian 14" Custom A Mastersound hi hats.
    After hearing some YouTube videos, the Supernova hi hats sound pretty good.
    But with those videos everything is mic'd & sound mixed.
    From what I read, they are only B8 alloy & not rotocast like the higher line
    UFIP hi hats.
    Thanks for your help,
    Kenny
    Almost all UFIP-cymbals are professional cymbals. Only M8- (entry level) and Tiger-series (semi-professional level) is not professional.

I've once heard UFIP-cymbals live. That was the first time I heard about that italian company... It was Dragonforce gig, where Gee Anzalone played UFIP-cymbals. Warm-up band Thunderstone's drummer Atte Palokangas used regular Turkish ("Turkish" -brand) cymbals and comparing these two brands, live, I didn't like UFIP at all.. But that's just my opinion...
    Pearl VBL Concord fade (22" bd, 8"-10"-12"-14"-16" tt)
    Pearl JJ1365 Joey Jordison signature snare
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)
    Tama Iron Cobra douple pedal (powerglide) and HH-stand (flexi glide)

User Info Menu

Thanks JuHiZz69
    For your knowledge of UFIP cymbals & opinion of them.
    I just want to know more about their Supernova hi hats & cymbals.
    I was assured that they were undamaged but only had some stick marks. And that I have 30 days to return the hi hats for any reason, if not satisfied.
    So I decided to try them, especially for the $130 price, almost new but slightly used as a store demo. I've seen these same hi hats listed new for $284 or more.
    I will let everyone on drumchat know later how the UFIP Supernova 14" hats sound & play.

20" A Custom Medium Ride
    16" A Custom Crash
    12" A Custom Splash
    Toga Hi Hat Tambourine

User Info Menu

Don't know anything about the super nova line but I do own a few UFIP cymbals and absolutely love them. I can't imagine that you wont like them even if they are B8 metal.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I bought a new 16" Class series crash a few years ago, really excellent sounding cymbal,but I sold it soon after on CL for the same price I bought it for..I couldn't justify the $240 for a 16".
    Sorry I'm no help on the supernova,but like others are saying I bet even their b8 cymbals sound very good especially hihats,and you got a great price on those

Mike

User Info Menu

Thank you drumchat.com members for all the great input on UFIP cymbals. It helps me to become way more knowledgable about those cymbals. Otherwise I would be lost for sure without you.
    It's good to know that UFIP cymbals are all hi quality including their B8 line. That was kinda a sticking point when I saw B8 alloy. But there rare some very good quality B8 cymbals on the market. So with the sales price & slightly used, I didn't want to pass them up. Worse case I will return them within 30 days or sell them for what I paid.
    So I rolled the dice on this one.
    Thanks guys !

20" A Custom Medium Ride
    16" A Custom Crash
    12" A Custom Splash
    Toga Hi Hat Tambourine

User Info Menu

The Supernova series is not as powerful as some of their other series. That was the only reason I didn't get a SN. I love the finish on the SN series though and sure they'll sound excellent in the right musical environment

I just got a set of 14" Bionic hats last week, also have a 17" Bionic crash, 21" Class ride, 20" and 17" Tiger crashes.

You're right about the videos, all the lines sound great even the Tigers. In person it seems like you really gotta lay the wood on the Tigers to get them singing.
    Last edited by slinky; 04-29-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Some more very good info. on the SN hi hats !
    At least it sounds like they are good middle of the road hi hats, even though they may be on the quieter side. My Zildjian Custom A Mastersounds are in the higher echelon
    Of hi hats but I am disappointed that I can't get a very loose slosh/wash no matter how I have adjusted the tilt & air gap. They may just be on the heavy weight side that it is very hard to get them to open up as I would like, but they ARE loud.
    Hopefully the much lighter SN hats will slosh a good bit.
    It just took a while for me to decide even with the low sale price.
    From what all of you have told me, they should be a very good set of hats, no doubt.
    Again I must thank all of you for taking time to state your experience & opinions.
    This is an awesome drum forum !!!!

20" A Custom Medium Ride
    16" A Custom Crash
    12" A Custom Splash
    Toga Hi Hat Tambourine