Thread: New Remo Fiberskyn Heads

User Info Menu

Default New Remo Fiberskyn Heads

I just changed out my tom batters and bass drum reso head to the Remo Ambassador Fiberskyn heads.

Not sure what to think yet..............took me a little longer than normal on the toms to get a decent sound out of them.

The bass drum sounds great with the new reso and an Aquarian Super kick batter.

Not sure how long I'll keep them on there, but man they look awesome............especially the reso on the bass drum

When I saw Rich's(Late8) Fiberskyn reso on his bass drum, I loved the way it looked................that's what got me interested in them.

Have any of you used them?....................thoughts?

Here are a few pics:

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Remo Fiberskyn Heads

I have yet to try a Fiberskyn drum head, but for over 30 years I have been using Fiberskyn heads on my banjos (mutant half-sibling of the drum).

User Info Menu

I have the FA on the reso of my Maxwin bass. Best looking reso on the market, IMO. Especially on a wood finished 4pc kit. Sounds good as well. Never tried them as tom batters.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm using one as a bass reso but first I cut and peeled away its big dampening ring.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I like them. As close as you can get to the old time calf head feel. As far as sound, they are still made of mylar plastic after all. I use them on vintage drums (any drums that in their day would have had calf skin)

all the best...

User Info Menu

I am a fan of the fibreskyn heads. I love it as a reso on the bass drum and I use them as resos on the toms of my C&C kit. I find it gives them a little deeper, warmer sound then a regular Ambassador. Totally agree they are the coolest looking drum head out there.

User Info Menu

I really wanted to put a fiberskyn head on my bass reso, but my dealer buddy, also a drummer, was absolutely negative, based on his opinion of the sound. For that reason, I never tried using them, but have still always been intrigued.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

My USA customs game stock with the Remo Fiberskyn reso and it's the best reso head sounding far for this particular kit. Tried Remo Ebony, Remo coated Abass but hands down for my personal tastes, Fiberkyn reso on the Gretsch. Rack toms heads, I have yet to try...

User Info Menu

I think switching to the Fiberskyn reso gave my bad a more rounded, full & warmer sound. Maybe not the best for hard rock, but jazz, blues, folk, alternative rock, etc., it does well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I tried the Fiber Skins on my Tama Artstars years ago . I was playing six nights a week with two rehearsals during the day . I don't remember if I liked the sound but I do remember that they lasted maybe a week and a half ! Not very durable if you play out regularly . I remember them being caved in when I took them off ! This was back in the mid 80's . I haven't seen one in that long (well..only in pictures) .
    What do you think of them ? you got them on your drums so you tell us what you think . Everyone else seem to like them as resos but no one's chimed in on how they like them as batters .
    Rudy .