Thread: I quit Roxtar and auditioned for Versus Me

User Info Menu

Default I quit Roxtar and auditioned for Versus Me

So if you look up some of my previous threads you'll see lately I've been very discouraged with my band. Well not as much my band as much as my singer. Well last weekend was a the last straw. He showed up already kinda tipsy to our show. Then continued to drink before we started. first 5 songs were a train wreck! Couldn't remember his words nothing... by the end of the night it got no where better. He even fell and couldn't get back on stage. Just embarrassing so I walked off stage. Decided I'm done with him.

To be honest Im not upset. I joined this band just to get playing again after my arm injury. I kept telling myself to just get back into it. So I did.

Along comes a streak of good luck I guess! As I ran into an old bass player who now plays for a GIANT local band. Now these guys are not a bar band. They are a metal core band who is really making it big. They are on the major local radio stations and playing to crowds of 1000+ people shows. I know Metal isn't everyone genre but I sure love it!

He tells me he was about to get ahold of me. His drummer is leaving and I'm the best drummer he knows around. He'd love for me to come audition for his band. So I said send me some songs and wow I'm in love. My first audition went awesome! I have a second coming up tomorrow !

Here is one of their music videos

and another they put together from some shows.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I quit Roxtar and auditioned for Versus Me

I think you got this, hands down.

Congrats!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats, They seem like they could go pretty far. Why is the other drummer leaving? Seems to have good chemistry in the video's.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

They know a good polka drummer when they hear one !

User Info Menu

Awesome, congrats on getting a 'call back'. Good luck with it!

User Info Menu

I thought you were going to start slowing down to become a family man. What happens when the nation wide tours start?

all the best...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes I know I was going to take it slower now.

But last year they only played 18 really good shows. Just 18...
    We played 103 shows in Roxtar.

Being they aren't a bar band they are only playing well planned quality shows.
    But there is the fear of the word tour now that I'm older and have a good steady career going. That does worry me.

User Info Menu

Best of luck on your second audition! I'm sure you will do fabulous! Keep us informed on what happens.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I have been following your posts regarding the singer in Roxtar.
    I believe you stayed longer than I would have............that guy is just a diva-loser.
    Now the other two band members have some thinking to do.............it will not get better for them.
    I'm still trying to understand how there is demand for a guy like that at 103 shows.

Go with the new band and see what happens.
    As long as you are honest with them and honest with yourself, all will be great.

I played two years with a band like you describe.................not that many shows, but the shows we did play were large and fun............we were a power trio that opened for national touring acts..............demanding gig.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Congrats Zack as long as you are happy that is what counts man.

User Info Menu

Sounds well put together and a lot more professional. The touring thing would bother me too. Sounds like it would at least be more enjoyable then the other band was.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Congrats on the (possible) new gig brother...............there's some serious double bass licks! Not a big fan of the "cookie monster" vocals..............but the musicianship is undeniable

I thought you were taking a hiatus too.................so much for that. If music is in your blood, you have to play!

Good luck with it

User Info Menu

Good Luck man! metal rules! checked out the vid it was pretty good!

User Info Menu

i'm glad i don't play that kinda stuff anymore
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Best of luck with your new adventure. .

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Wow, what an awesome opportunity! Congrats! They are definitely good musicians, but I'm guess I'm just told old to appreciate the genre, LOL. I did like the first few opening measures of the first video, however.......AND the chick with the long, dark hair!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow, what an awesome opportunity! Congrats! They are definitely good musicians, but I'm guess I'm just told old to appreciate the genre, LOL. I did like the first few opening measures of the first video, however.......AND the chick with the long, dark hair!
    That's hilarious I said the same thing lol That girl... yum
    But I enjoy the challenge of the foot work in the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    But I enjoy the challenge of the foot work in the music.
    Funny you say that..................
    The first thing I thought of when I heard the band video was "Good thing he bought that Trick drive shaft".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Looks like they really put on a fantastic show. Very professional on stage.....might be a big difference from your old lead singer. After watching more and specifically the drummer, it reminds me of a marching band percussion line. So, I'm curious about how you will approach it;

Will you cut back to a 4pc kit? Are you planning on duplicating the old drummers style and chops stroke-for-stroke? Will they allow you some degree of freedom to play with your own style (like more tom work or less intense bass)...as long as it fits the basic style?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

So here's my complicated update

So I officially made the band as the new "fill in" drummer.
    Because of my high technical abilities that were going to waste in my last band...
    They have hired me on to quickly learn all of their complex very technical songs.
    I will be filling in and a backup drummer while they slowly search for a replacement.

Being that my life is about to drastically change I know I can no longer drop everything and go on tour like I was able to in college and for several years afterwards. I have a beautiful daughter on the way and a great new career started at my company which I just hit my 1 year mark 3 weeks ago btw.

They are going to pay me very well to do a fill in show. There are only two shows scheduled as of right now and they only schedule very strategic big venue shows. So June 19th will be my debut in Versus Me.

While I learn these though they will continue to search and audition other drummers. We had a nice band talk and I let them know I will not be offended by anyone they bring in. But if they do fall in love with me and don't want to find a replacement and can hold off any HUGE tours I would be glad to do full weekend traveling gigs here and there as we do have some future shows penciled in located in Michigan, Minnesota and Iowa.

User Info Menu

You did just what I expected and exactly as I would have done.........open and honest...............and just let your talent do the talking.............perfect.

Enjoy the gig on the 19th.................I'll be thinking about you.

Band # 2 (my cover band) has a huge gig tonight in an old historic hotel ballroom................1,000 people attending a convention reception.
    Should be a good one.............I'm pumped.
    Time to go break down and load the truck.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

That's a great solution to be the "fill in drummer". I'm working with a metal band as their stage manager and the main drummer (DamageDrummer), who's a member here, is wanting to spend more time with family so the band is in transition and is currently working with two drummers who will share the set. Once the "new guy" has the tunes down, the "old" guy will bail.

Good luck Zack. Like Ricky, I've been following your threads and the lead singer's drinking issue and I know you'll look back and wonder why it took so long to bail out.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the support! It's been a great couple of weeks already challenging myself daily to work out this foot work.

Monday I went to Roxtar band practice to help the new guy and definitely said to myself why did I wait so long... but if I didn't who knows if this other opportunity would have fallen into my lap. But who knows. Either way I'm so glad I finally pulled the trigger and got out of there. I really only stayed because the guitarist and I are such good friends. But last night we were talking and he's debating the whole thing also. He said he's in to jamming with me anytime and working on our own originals now. So I'm super excited to do that once Versus Me gets a full time drummer. It'll be nice to know I'm always a part of this group now and that I can fill in when needed.

I finished my practice kit in the basement for the baby... i'll have to take some videos. I'm getting pretty good at 4/7 songs so far. But a long ways to go to hit the finish line of glory.