Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need you guys to weigh in on my dilemma

User Info Menu

Default Need you guys to weigh in on my dilemma

I've been in the process of trying to put together another project.

Currently I have two possibilities glaring me in the face.

Option one has been in the works for about 6 weeks. It is with 3 outstanding guitarists wanting to put together a southern rock tribute band. With myself a bass player and singer that's going to make it a 6 pc band right out of the gate. We are rehearsing at my place one night a week.

These guys are really good and our first rehearsal (a month ago) went better than expected. From there it's gone downhill. Now one guitarist has bailed saying he doesn't have the time to learn 30 new songs. We haven't gotten together in almost two weeks and no one is saying anything so I'm not really sure what is happening next. We are supposed to get together this Thursday but so far no one has said a thing to confirm or cancel.

Option two is a decent 4 pc band. Two guitars, bass and drums. They rehearse about a half hour drive from my house so it would mean a commute commitment on my part. I usually am the host. The quality of musicianship isn't near what the other group is but they do well enough to get by. The technicality of their song list is way simpler and I can blend in with them and we could be out playing in less than 4 weeks if we can get a booking. (Most places are booked for at least the next 3 months).

So last night I auditioned for the "Option two" band and they were ready to sign me up and start moving forward. I tend to think it is the easiest of the two projects to get off the ground and performing way sooner. Just not sure what it will be like once the "new" wears off.

I told these guys that since I had committed to the other band first and they actually have gear in my basement that I needed to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what happens this Thursday. I'm leaning towards if nothing happens this week or everyone just gives up and wants to come get there gear, it sure would make my decision easier. I sometimes like to let life happen and just deal with the aftermath.

I should have enough info to make a good decision after Thursday.

Any thoughts, opinions or insight would be great, everyone. Thanks!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need you guys to weigh in on my dilemma

Usually commitment levels and communication problems like the 1st band is currently having never really go away and will be a constant stress on you. I know it would be on me.

If I was you I would see if the 1st band shows up this thurs. if not your problem is solved IMO but if they do than you should probably discuss what the plans are long term for the band, if there is one thing I have learned in my few years so far is to get everything out in the open as soon as possible rather than hoping this happens or waiting for that to happen.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Option 2. A decent but simple band with commitment has way more potential. If the guys are committed, they'll get better. The other guys have the talent, but are probably designed to be a perpetual basement band due to attitudes.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

First, if the "tribute band" project is already off to a shaky start as it sounds like that it has........it more likely than not is going nowhere.

Second, the other project sounds like a compromise right off the bat. Words and phrases like "decent", "do well enough to get by" and "technically the song list is simpler" would not entice me to be a part of anything associated with that verbiage. People in the age group that your probably dealing with are not very likely to get markedly better.

Sorry.....you asked for opinions. That's mine. If it were me, neither one of those projects would be anything that I'd want to be involved with.

User Info Menu

I agree with Brian. Option 2 for me. Go with those who are serious about rehearsing and learning the music. Otherwise, and regardless of talent, you'll be playing babysitter non-stop with the first group.

Bottom line...if I was building a team, ANY TEAM...I'll take a handful of 'C' players, with an 'A' attitude anyday over a handful of 'A' players with a 'C' attitude.

Tex

User Info Menu

I would go with the second project .
    I wouldn't wait to "see if" the other guys were coming I would just call them and tell them to come get there stuff tonight .
    If you want to be in a band you have to take the bull by the horns and make it happen . Waiting around for others to get their stuff together gets you nowhere . You have to be committed to yourself .
    Being in a band is like being in a marriage , there is that "honeymoon" period then you settle in to the day to day business of being part of a group and holding up your end . But it beats being alone at home wishing .
    Good luck Bish with the new project . They will be lucky to have you as their drummer .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Maybe you don't yet know enough about either one to make a decision.

It goes against logic that every person associated with the first group wants to blow it off...............at least one or two of those guys want to make it work as much as you do.

The second group might be less hassle but unexciting.
    Or, depending on the clubs around your area, it might be just fine.

Both seem to have your interest to some extent; I'd just lay back and see how all this plays out.
    Maybe one of the guys from the first group will go with you to group # 2 and give them a well-needed boost.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Option 2. A decent but simple band with commitment has way more potential. If the guys are committed, they'll get better. The other guys have the talent, but are probably designed to be a perpetual basement band due to attitudes.
    +1...................option 2 seems like the better route...............but like recommended before, if the guys don't show up on Thursday, your dilemma is solved!

User Info Menu

If your goal is to gig .....go with the band that has more gigs.

I'd love to put together a band of players that were totally awesome and badass....but, the project would have to many "type A" personalities that felt entitled, special and spoiled.

Band B sounds like a bunch of guys that want to work....and I mean rehearse and gig. They may not be phenomenal - but ...they want to REHEARSE and GIG.

It's hard to keep a band together if they don't want to rehearse and gig.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Just by reading "in between the lines" and making my own assumptions here. The 1st band sounds promising but a "tribute band", in my opinion, has to be so good, you can close your eyes and you won't be able to tell the "difference" between the two (think "Rain"). If you can't achieve that level, you're nothing but a cover-band playing exclusively the songs of a certain artist or band. It seems the "bar" has been lowered for these "tribute bands", at least in my town these days.

The second project sounds like the band I just left. I had to travel the same amount of distance you're going to cover; the song list was a no brainier (not challenging) and the singing was "just enough to get by". Mediocrity at my age, (56) is something I can't settle for. If it's not challenging and exciting, I don't have the time or resources to waste on it. I share similar thoughts as inthpktplayer, I'd keep looking....Good luck Mark!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Sorry.....you asked for opinions. That's mine. If it were me, neither one of those projects would be anything that I'd want to be involved with.
    Hey, I get it. That's the hard part. Project 1 looks like a slow dying dead end and project 2 is...with all due respect to its members...a bit lamer and possibly more boring after the initial newness wears off.

But at least I'll be out performing and keeping my little bit of talent in use.

I will probably just let Thursday play out but will probably also call quits on Project 1. I need to move on.

Outstanding. Thank you all for you input, good, bad, harsh, honest. It's all I ask.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was one of the founding members of my current band around 8 years ago. It was much the same as your "option 2" at the time. In fact, I quit after a couple months because it was excruciatingly boring for me. A couple years later, I rejoined them just to help them out. The second time, it was different. They added a new lead guitarist. We practiced for a few months and began to change direction. We started to develop our own sound and venture into uncharted genre territory for this area. New musicians of quality talent started asking to join us. Now, I can't imagine playing with anyone else. We continue to improve musically, as a group and individuals, and our popularity is really starting to grow. IMO, if the attitude and desire to progress is there, the possibility exists.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the sentiment and points of view.

I have decided to pursue Option 2 with the potential for it to become something. Since I don't know any of them members in this group yet, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that everyone was just getting "Warmed up" to each other.

They had been out playing for over a year but since their drummer quit back in the fall they hadn't been doing much.

Now's the time to bring it!

Thanks everyone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Surely a 30 minute commute in the middle of Iowa can't be all that harrowing!

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I appreciate all the sentiment and points of view.

I have decided to pursue Option 2 with the potential for it to become something. Since I don't know any of them members in this group yet, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that everyone was just getting "Warmed up" to each other.

They had been out playing for over a year but since their drummer quit back in the fall they hadn't been doing much.

Now's the time to bring it!

Thanks everyone.
    Option #2 will be thrilled to have you as their drummer. You've got the chops to prove you've spent much time on the throne and you're a multi-talented musician which is a huge plus factor since you'll be able to nurture the bond between you and a group of people that has already played out together as a band but lost their drummer.

You can see things from a guitarist point of view as well as a bass player's point of view; a better overall sense of what's going on than maybe me, for example, since I only play drums.

The only way I know what a G chord looks like on the fret of a guitar is that the finger placement makes it look like you're flipping somebody off.

See?...I'm just a drummer.

User Info Menu

I think you're making the right decision, I been in band "A" and "B". A never really gets anywhere, B takes a little longer but more enjoyable in the long run.
    Last edited by piratemonkey124; 05-04-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Option #2 will be thrilled to have you as their drummer. You've got the chops to prove you've spent much time on the throne and you're a multi-talented musician which is a huge plus factor since you'll be able to nurture the bond between you and a group of people that has already played out together as a band but lost their drummer.

You can see things from a guitarist point of view as well as a bass player's point of view; a better overall sense of what's going on than maybe me, for example, since I only play drums.

The only way I know what a G chord looks like on the fret of a guitar is that the finger placement makes it look like you're flipping somebody off.

That's an excellent point. Someone with experience and multiple talents like Bish can go a LONG way in bringing the rest of the band up to the next level. All the ingredients seem to be there, it will just require a little time, work and patience. I think like any relationship, a band that grows together can be very satisfying.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Surely a 30 minute commute in the middle of Iowa can't be all that harrowing!

LOL

all the best...
    Come check it out sometime. You'll really appreciate your island.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

You, my friend, are not "just a drummer" but a real musician and good friend. The bassist was a guitarist in one of my previous bands which was how I got in the door. He can also play drums so I'm entertaining the idea of being able to get up and play guitar on a song or two.

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    I think you're making the tight decision, I been in band "A" and "B". A never really gets anywhere, B takes a little longer but more enjoyable in the long run.
    Spot on, pm.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's an excellent point. Someone with experience and multiple talents like Bish can go a LONG way in bringing the rest of the band up to the next level. All the ingredients seem to be there, it will just require a little time, work and patience. I think like any relationship, a band that grows together can be very satisfying.
    This is one of the primary factors in my decision. We will be a new band once I get a grasp on the song list and I'm sure we will be adding a fresh set of songs with the intro of a "new drummer" for the works. I will keep you guys posted.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There's a reason, (even if you're simply in a band that wants to do local gigs, maybe some regional stuff, etc...) That it's called....THE MUSIC BUSINESS.

So many musicians know how to play music, whether it's in a band or bands, or as a solo act. They can be brilliant and blow your mind. They've got the MUSIC part down pat. No problems.

But...the BUSINESS part is tricky. And THAT is what I look for in a group. If I know a group of people collectively understand "what's goin' on" in and around the area we want to work "BUSINESS-wise". THAT'S who I will put together a project with, or join their project.

So may people in bands are like dogs that chase cars. Bark bark bark bark! They are always "in a band". But they never gig.

I stay away from them. Even if they sound GREAT in rehearsal.
    Last edited by EddieV; 05-04-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    There's a reason, (even if you're simply in a band that wants to do local gigs, maybe some regional stuff, etc...) That it's called....THE MUSIC BUSINESS.

So many musicians know how to play music, whether it's in a band or bands, or as a solo act. They can be brilliant and blow your mind. They've got the MUSIC part down pat. No problems.

But...the BUSINESS part is tricky. And THAT is what I look for in a group. If I know a group of people collectively understand "what's goin' on" in and around the area we want to work "BUSINESS-wise". THAT'S who I will put together a project with, or join their project.

So may people in bands are like dogs that chase cars. Bark bark bark bark! They are always "in a band". But they never gig.

I stay away from them. Even if they sound GREAT in rehearsal.

Very sound info, Eddie. Thanks for your insight.

I know I went the best direction. I plan to be ready for anything in less than 4 weeks. Videos if I can.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It's official. Today I had conversations with both parties.

Option 1's are coming to pick up their gear over the next several days while I hash out a song list and rehearsal schedule with Option 2.

Everyone is excited.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sounds like you made the best decision, have fun. The lads in my band - me included aren't the most technical of players but we know how to gig / get everyone up dancing / have great fun doing it, isn't that what it's all about?

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Sounds like you made the best decision, have fun. The lads in my band - me included aren't the most technical of players but we know how to gig / get everyone up dancing / have great fun doing it, isn't that what it's all about?

Cheers Mark
    You got that right.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Update: Well, I was totally wrong about Option 2. They are really very good musicians and are versatile in that they play several instruments apiece. They all sing and we have very smooth 3 part harmonies without me even getting in the mix.

We are playing a wide variety of music and I believe the crowd will love it. Danceable and singable (as in well recognized) list being put together including about half the songs I just finished learning with that southern rock project that started about 6 weeks ago.

This is going to be an entertain the crowd type of project. I am very excited it worked out and they are very glad I accepted their invitation to join.

They are already going out and getting us booked into the bars they have previously played in so no need to push to get a foot in the door. The prediction is to be out in 4 weeks without being under pressure. We already put 20+songs together in 2 practices and they will only get tighter.

In honor of this new project I thought I'd reawaken some of my stashed gear with the intent to take gigging. It's made up of odds and ends but put together it's a great kit. Nothing fancy or expensive so I won't worry too much about it getting abused. I also trimmed it down to its bare bones config which is:

22X16" Pulse bass drum
    18X16" Pulse floor tom
    10X8" TAMA Swingstar Tom
    8X7" TAMA Swingstar Tom
    14X5.5" Mapex Black Panther Maple Snare w/Gold hardware
    TAMA Single bass drum pedal
    TAMA Road-Pro Hi-hat and snare stand
    TAMA double tom stand
    TAMA upper boom cymbal arm
    TAMA cymbal mini clamp
    Pearl 900 Series boom cymbal stand
    Paiste 2002 20" Medium Ride
    Paiste 2002 14" Hi-hats
    Meinl Classic 10" Splash
    Sabian AAX 16" Crash
    Sabian AA 18" Crash
    Gibraltar cymbal arm clamp assembly

Pictures below.

20160518_212622 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160518_212634 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160518_212650 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160518_212704 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Glad it worked out. Sometimes the unexpected is a positive.