Thread: Will all electronic kits allow me to plug in my headphones?

User Info Menu

Cool Will all electronic kits allow me to plug in my headphones?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I'm inexperienced when it comes to kits! I'm looking at renting a new electronic drum kit for a while, but I need to be able to play the drums with my headphones in so it makes no noise for anyone else. I also want to be able to listen to songs from my iPod through headphones while playing the drums at the same time through headphones. I'm trying to read up on all these different kits but I can't seem to find any information on this particular thing. Does anyone have any information about this?

Do most e-kits let you use headphones?

I was looking at the Yamaha DTX522K and the Roland V-Drums Portable TD-4KP.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Will all electronic kits allow me to plug in my headphones?

There are a few things that all ekits should have: accuracy measurement, wide sound database, easy to use module.

Any ekit that doesn't let you have a line is complete garbage!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I have never seen an ekit without a line-in and headphone jack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I have never seen an ekit without a line-in and headphone jack
    This.

So to answer your question, yes you should be able to do both.

Keep in mind that no matter how you play if you don't have mesh heads on your ekit, the strike of the stick hitting the rubber pads will generate sound.

Whether it's offensive or not depends on your surroundings.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

No worries--don't ever worry about a question being too basic.

Like feedback above, I also have yet to come across an ekit that does not have a line out for headphones. (This is a fundamental feature for such kits, even at the lowest end/entry levels).
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kristydani View Post
    I need to be able to play the drums with my headphones in so it makes no noise for anyone else. I also want to be able to listen to songs from my iPod through headphones while playing the drums at the same time through headphones. I'm trying to read up on all these different kits but I can't seem to find any information on this particular thing.
    Welcome to the forum kristydani! We here consider ALL questions valid and many will be happy to help so ask away!

I have an old '04 Yamaha DTXpressIII module (pic below) that has an aux (auxiliary) in and a aux volume control (circled in yellow) that can accept a 3.5 stereo line. I use my iPhone's 3.5 headphone jack and plug the 3.5 line into the aux in and use the aux volume control to "balance" the ekit and the songs from the iPhone. Most ekit modules have this "play-along" function where outside music devices can interconnect with the ekit.

On the backside of the module has a right/left-mono output (circled) where you can plug a 1/4" instrument cable to an input to a PA system (circled) to provide a "mix"